By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scariest game you've ever played?

What is the scariest video game you have experienced to date, and what made it so terrifying?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Witcher 3, probably, I have never played anything close to a proper survival-horror game.

EDIT: Well, I actually have, and that's Hellblade, which, I'll be honest, it didn't do much on me, the only thing that was a bit unsettling was Valravn, that thing was really well made. Aside from that, though, I don't remember much of it, despite the fact I played it only 2 years ago, which goes to show the little impression the game left on me. 

Last edited by Metallox - on 04 April 2021

I typically avoid playing horror games myself, instead opting to watch playthroughs of them on Youtube, but the 2 scariest games I have played myself were Man of Medan and the demo for Outlast 2. Also the flood levels in Halo 1 and 2 terrified me the first time I played those games when I was a young teen.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 05 April 2021

Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Outlast. Absolutely terrifying.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 04 April 2021

I'm actually too scared to play Visage. Haunted house with realistic graphics and lots of scares is too much for me.

I have no problems with Outlast, Resident Evil, or Silent Hill. Even if RE7 scared me a bit.

Around the Network

I don't play many horror games, but some games have horror elements.

Nioh 2 has great atmosphere with some downright creepy moments. Plus it is a different style of horror, with the Japanese folklore background.

Metroid Prime and Hollow Knight come to mind. If I have to pick just one, the latter probably.

I can get very immersed in Metroidvanias and these in particular I felt most oppressed by their atmosphere. Some of the late game areas in both games had me really tense going into them, and I'm not sure I'm ever quite gonna get over the Abyss in Hollow Knight, no matter how many times I play the game that place still gives me the creeps.

But yeah, I think you can tell I don't play horror games.

I don't play survival horror games but one visual novel (I think?) on the DS that really gave me the chills was 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It has sci-fi, suspense and horror themes in it with multiple bad endings. When I played it, I got first the "neutral" ending which was more or less a cliffhanger. Then in my second playthrough, I got the WORST ending which is pure horror. Never in my life had I been so scared with a videogame or a movie or anything, I was literally trembling and almost could not sleep that night.

JCGamer55 said:

I don't play survival horror games but one visual novel (I think?) on the DS that really gave me the chills was 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It has sci-fi, suspense and horror themes in it with multiple bad endings. When I played it, I got first the "neutral" ending which was more or less a cliffhanger. Then in my second playthrough, I got the WORST ending which is pure horror. Never in my life had I been so scared with a videogame or a movie or anything, I was literally trembling and almost could not sleep that night.

Speaking of endings, that reminds me of Cyberpunk's ending.

...or, uhhh, the ending I got, which certainly is a bad ending. Don't know if there's a name for it, but man, it got really creepy on a psychological level. You see V going insane on screen and it felt like I was going insane with her, it was not cool.

(edit: looking it up, apparently it's called the "Devil" ending)

Not saying it's as bad as the one you mentioned, I assume it isn't, but for me that was some really heavy shit. I loved it, to be fair

Any David Cage Game. Writing that bad is frightening.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!