By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Scariest game you've ever played?

Valheim, or specifically, the Trolls.

The Trolls are probably the most ugliest and intimidating enemies in the entire game (besides the Swamp boss). You're there mining away in the black forest, the ground starts to shake and shudder, and the next thing you know, you're seeing a big blue mass marching slowly through the forest.

I've always felt some level of fear when you're in a game that gives you limited stamina, and a big foe to square off against. Trolls in that game can be taken down quite easily, provided to you good enough armor and dodging or enough space between you and the troll and some good arrows, but they are still a challenge in groups and they can cross water and even walk faster at times.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Im gonna go with Dead Space because its the last horror game I legit found scary, something about the isolation and the fear of space that makes the atmosphere get really creepy for me. But other than that ehhh im really desensitized to horror games, so I usually just play them like its whatever.

Paranormal Activity. Been watching horror movies most of my live and love them, but I had to stop playing this one at one point as it was freaking me out. Scariest VR experience for me. Non VR Resident Evil 2 on N64/PS1

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
JCGamer55 said:

I don't play survival horror games but one visual novel (I think?) on the DS that really gave me the chills was 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It has sci-fi, suspense and horror themes in it with multiple bad endings. When I played it, I got first the "neutral" ending which was more or less a cliffhanger. Then in my second playthrough, I got the WORST ending which is pure horror. Never in my life had I been so scared with a videogame or a movie or anything, I was literally trembling and almost could not sleep that night.

999 Spoilers:

Spoiler!
The ending where that girl becomes psycho and kills the main character? Because that one was very creepy.
Spoiler!
lmao, I got that one in my third playthrough, second creepiest. I was referring to the one where you return to the main hall and find everyone killed, then try to escape but the killer finds and kills both you and your companions without the game even revealing who the killer was.

mZuzek said:
JCGamer55 said:

I don't play survival horror games but one visual novel (I think?) on the DS that really gave me the chills was 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. It has sci-fi, suspense and horror themes in it with multiple bad endings. When I played it, I got first the "neutral" ending which was more or less a cliffhanger. Then in my second playthrough, I got the WORST ending which is pure horror. Never in my life had I been so scared with a videogame or a movie or anything, I was literally trembling and almost could not sleep that night.

Speaking of endings, that reminds me of Cyberpunk's ending.

...or, uhhh, the ending I got, which certainly is a bad ending. Don't know if there's a name for it, but man, it got really creepy on a psychological level. You see V going insane on screen and it felt like I was going insane with her, it was not cool.

(edit: looking it up, apparently it's called the "Devil" ending)

Not saying it's as bad as the one you mentioned, I assume it isn't, but for me that was some really heavy shit. I loved it, to be fair

I have yet to try Cyberpunk but that ending sounds quite interesting.

Around the Network

The Fatal Frame/Project Zero games are the ones that really get to me.

2, 4, and 5 were all terrifying, but I think 4 got into my head the most; I first played it when I was 22 and it still made me afraid of the dark that night haha. The final boss shows up several times prior to the ending and the audio/visuals associated are creepy as hell.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 April 2021

Has to be either the REmake or Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Really in both games to one degree or another, it's that feeling of literally and figuratively being in the dark, having a prominent vulnerability and not knowing what spooky things are around the next corner.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Siren: Blood curse. That sight jacking ability is terrifying, split screen seeing the pov of the enemy looking for you while you're hiding in a locker.
Actually, still not as bad as being chased in VR in RE7 with him bursting through the wall, that was a good jump scare.

Point Blank PS1 demo.

As a child I recall this demo being horrendously boring, the thought of having to play through it terrified me.

Layers of Fear.