By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and PS Vita stores no longer closing

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Not when your PS3/PS4 CMOS battery dies. Can't access Physical games either. Something to do with the trophy data needing to connect to the PSN servers.

This is ironically another point in favor of not having any achievments/trophy system on Nintendo systems

Fully agree.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Reasons why I only buy digital on PC

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Innovalias said:

Off topic:

In a forum where people are so eager to defend companies charging full price for 90's ports with barely any improves I wonder why make such a issue over those same companies shutting down the stores that sells the original games. You guys can keep just buying their overpriced remasters released every gen, don't worry they won't stop to be released anytime soon 

Honestly, physical games are little more than collectors' items at this point. I wouldn't expect companies to continue to support platforms with dwindling userbases. Just like those same companies shouldn't expect people to create backups of the software they paid for.

Yeah I like my physicals, but I acknowledge they are outdated and I keep buying them only for emotional purposes, but they will be over eventually just like CDs (I fucking miss CDs)

And companies aren't really expecting us to backup our digital games, rather expecting us to buy it again in some overpriced remaster, it's how it works 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Innovalias said:

Honestly, physical games are little more than collectors' items at this point. I wouldn't expect companies to continue to support platforms with dwindling userbases. Just like those same companies shouldn't expect people to create backups of the software they paid for.

Yeah I like my physicals, but I acknowledge they are outdated and I keep buying them only for emotional purposes, but they will be over eventually just like CDs (I fucking miss CDs)

And companies aren't really expecting us to backup our digital games, rather expecting us to buy it again in some overpriced remaster, it's how it works 

Sorry, edited for clarity. 

And yeah, I miss CDs as well. I still have a ton of old foldouts from the CDs I no longer have. Great memories. 

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

JWeinCom said:
Conina said:

That is no cartridge but a normal cassette tape for the Coleco Adam home computer.

C64 had similar data tapes until the floppy drives got popular.

Or the audio tapes for Sony's Walkman.

And this was the essential tool for these cassettes:

Lol. I'm old enough to remember cassettes. Just never knew they had games on them.

The Coleco Adam Expansion Module expanded the Coleco into a home computer.  Or the Adam could be bought as a separate computer from the ColecoVision console (and still play ColecoVision cartridges).  The Adam did not come bundled with a disk drive (although one could later be bought separately).  So, the Adam's primary way to run programs was from Digital Data Packs (cassettes). 

I had a ColecoVision growing up, but never knew about the Adam until many years later since it came out so close to the North American Video Game Crash.  My family's first home computer was the TRS-80 Color Computer 2 from Radio Shack.

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 24 March 2021

Around the Network
twintail said:
Mar1217 said:

This is ironically another point in favor of not having any achievments/trophy system on Nintendo systems

And what exactly makes you think this isnt patched for an EoL firmware update?

Like right now, this is just fear mongering until it actually does happen.

It's funny how the word Nintendo never fails to trigger you

Why would Sony patch that out after 8 years of not doing that? They want you to just buy a PS5.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

This is why physical is always the way to go. Sad to see this happen, hopefully there are enough game repositories on the internet to preserve all of those games. Especially the PS3 and the Vita, their emulation scene isn't that advanced as of yet.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

OTBWY said:

haxxiy said:

A bit much my dude. CDs and DVDs can go up to about a 100 years. As well as tapes, which are known to have exceptionally long lifespans... but it all depends on use, wear and such. So it is up to an individual to how long something can last. And if you ask me, 100 years is a long time and i'll be dead before any of my games are I reckon.

Also, transistors and such can always be replaced. They can still make the electronic parts you need to fix your cartridges (and put the rom back on the cart pretty much). Cartridges from decades ago still work as well, but again, it depends on use. Lastly, the 15 to 20 year number for Switch cartridges is based on nothing. 

The first generation of CDs is already rotting and dying.

Also, I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing in your second paragraph? The data is physically encoded into the chip in mask ROM, the layout of the gates themselves is how the data is stored. As soon as the first bits are lost when the transistors fail, the software is corrupted and rendered useless. I'm not addressing an element on the board visible to the naked eye like a replaceable capacitor.

We also know for a fact that the Switch cartridges won't last as long as the ROM type described above because they use a proprietary kind of flash memory developed by Macronix instead of software masks. So, eventually, it will lose its charge, as it happens to flash memory, and all the 1s inside the cartridge will revert to 0s, resulting in complete data loss.

Keep in mind, this is just the stores closing, it doesnt remove already brought games and access to redownload them.