By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and PS Vita stores no longer closing

jardesonbarbosa said:

Is it really that expensive to keep the store alive? I guess that's the future, I'll try to buy some games before they close the store.

Shouldn't be that expensive.
Microsoft has rolled the Xbox 360 store in with the Xbox One and now rolled that forwards onto the Xbox Series X, so it's still monetized and thus profitable.

Steam still runs it's "store" from 2003, it's almost 18 years old. It gets enhanced, updated, supported and rolled onwards to newer platforms (Windows 98 > XP > Vista > 7 > 8 > 10.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Leynos said:

Sony designed it so when the CMOS battery keeps the date in your Playstation and the trophy data. Once that dies. You can no longer play Physical or PSN games. You have to have some real know-how to tear your console down to replace the battery. Then has to reconnect to the PSN servers in order for any digital or physical game to work. So once these services are shut down. No game will work at all.

I dont know how Sony designed the Vita. Dont you need a PS account to use PSN? Once the stores are down, you can still redownload the games already purchased, just can no longer buy games from it.

PSP is fine. My PSP is not compatible with my Wifi for almost a decade. Still play games just fine. I don't think Vita has a CMOS battery. Vita's only real issue is similar to Switch. Once the battery can no longer hold a charge. You can never turn it on not even plugged in or in the Switch's case. Docked. It's just dead.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Azzanation said:

I dont know how Sony designed the Vita. Dont you need a PS account to use PSN? Once the stores are down, you can still redownload the games already purchased, just can no longer buy games from it.

PSP is fine. My PSP is not compatible with my Wifi for almost a decade. Still play games just fine. I don't think Vita has a CMOS battery. Vita's only real issue is similar to Switch. Once the battery can no longer hold a charge. You can never turn it on not even plugged in or in the Switch's case. Docked. It's just dead.

What? And is this a thing? How many years to increase the likelihood for a Switch battery die? 

Why I bought a PS Vita TV and want a docked-only Switch model. Just for that.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

What? And is this a thing? How many years to increase the likelihood for a Switch battery die? 

Sure is... And unlike every single past Nintendo handheld you can't just undo a couple screws and swap it out.

Not a problem for someone like me who is savvy with electrical items, but can be daunting for others.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Sure is... And unlike every single past Nintendo handheld you can't just undo a couple screws and swap it out.

Not a problem for someone like me who is savvy with electrical items, but can be daunting for others.

Why isn't anybody talking about this ?

Sad news, but not too surprising, it was never going to last forever and all good things must come to an end eventually.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Pemalite said:

Why isn't anybody talking about this ?

It's 2021.

Tablets, Phones, Console controllers and more generally don't have replaceable batteries, tech is disposable, it's actually expected these days.

It's why I like AA batteries in my Xbox controllers, I can just swap them out and never need to worry about a cabled controller once the internal battery dies.

Pemalite said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Is it a case where the battery is welded to the hardware, or is it just very complicated to swap it out?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This video pretty much sums up the reason why I switched to PC from PS4, and am not getting a PS5. Sure, playing digital versions of games on PC sucks, but what's the point of getting a big physical PS5/Series collection if these consoles are designed poorly, and will die in the next ten years? At least with my PC I can fix it myself.