By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and PS Vita stores no longer closing

mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

No way that copy of Zelda is functioning. Save battery has to be long dead. 

Also, first time I ever have seen what a colecovision cartridge looks like.

Due to this giving me a flashback about tape loading I can attest that the ColecoVision tape is after 37 years still in the middle of loading the game and we wont know how long it takes since we aren't immortal.

What happens when you hit rewind?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
mjk45 said:

Due to this giving me a flashback about tape loading I can attest that the ColecoVision tape is after 37 years still in the middle of loading the game and we wont know how long it takes since we aren't immortal.

What happens when you hit rewind?

We go back to November 5th, 1955.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JWeinCom said:
Conina said:

It was much cheaper than floppy discs or cartridges, so most 8-bit home computers used them:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.

In my youth I purchased a second hand C64 it came with around 300 games and a disc drive but also a tape drive with a number of tapes,since the tapes had some games not on my discs I tried the tape drive, it took around ten minutes to load a game into the 64K memory the vast majority games loaded fully into memory. some worked in a similar way to future games with multiple discs,where the game stopped and you manually loaded another tape went and had a bath  made a cup of coffee walked the dog and then continued the game, asset loading came much later mainly due to HD's

Last edited by mjk45 - on 23 March 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.

In my youth I purchased a second hand C64 it came with around 300 games and a disc drive but also a tape drive with a number of tapes,since the tapes had some games not on my discs I tried the tape drive, it took around ten minutes to load a game into the 64K memory the vast majority games loaded fully into memory. some worked in a similar way to future games with multiple discs,where the game stopped and you manually loaded another tape went and had a bath  made a cup of coffee walked the dog and then continued the game, asset loading came much later mainly due to HD's

Ah. So once you load the came the cassette no longer needs to be read. I get it. Doesn't seem like a great system but I imagine it was cheaper than cartridges.

Glad pretty much my entire PS3 library is physical. I should have enough space for my VITA digital games as well, but it sucks about my digital only games.  Also the PS3/Vita has a lot of retro options that are just not available on PS4/5 as of yet.

Digital is nice as an option, but this is further proves physical media needs to stay.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

Never had the tape drive, but my friend had one... I hated it for being so slow.

My 1571 floppy drive was much faster, especially in combination with my fast loader cartridge "Final Cartridge III":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cartridge_III

Shiken said:

Glad pretty much my entire PS3 library is physical. I should have enough space for my VITA digital games as well, but it sucks about my digital only games.  Also the PS3/Vita has a lot of retro options that are just not available on PS4/5 as of yet.

Digital is nice as an option, but this is further proves physical media needs to stay.

Not when your PS3/PS4 CMOS battery dies. Can't access Physical games either. Something to do with the trophy data needing to connect to the PSN servers.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

JWeinCom said:
mjk45 said:

Ah. So once you load the came the cassette no longer needs to be read. I get it. Doesn't seem like a great system but I imagine it was cheaper than cartridges.

You hit the nail on the head they were slow but cheap existing tech. and although their eventual replacement 5.25 floppy discs were coming out those drives like most new tech were a lot more expensive. but in the end it was just a fleeting bit of early 8bit tech that was quickly superseded by a line of various disc and drive types that continue to today. and who's current uncertainty is another factor in this threads story.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I really don't see the issue here you guys are having with digital media 

Are you guys aware most of the games, even those in physical media, needs to be downloaded to even play nowadays? Physical media can't store the size of AAA games anymore that's why they are kept on servers. Games nowadays are released film of DLCs, patches and bug fixes that comes well ahead of the physical release 

I.E. it doesn't matter whether you bought physical or not, if companies shut downs their servers you won't be able to play your physical AAA game. Don't make a fool of yourself thinking you can't avoid this just supporting physical media because you can't 

Maybe you think this is a terrible plan from studios to screw with consumers making them to pay for a game that is just going to dissapear in what, 10 years after the system is replaced? But this is just how the game industry works nowadays. You might enjoy the benefits of patches, additional content and other nice things that comes with internet, but it comes from a price. And yes most of gamers won't choose getting deprived from the advances of technology for the sake of fitting a game in a Blu Ray Disc and never getting updates again 

Sure we can (and should) make pressure on Sony to make their servers up at least making for people download their digital purchases for maybe another 4 or 5 years, but they will shut it down eventually due to the simple fact that almost nobody is making use of it. Looking for this thread all replies are making me feel that absolutely not a single one of users here had real plans to keep purchasing PS3 games if this shut down news wasn't coming out

Keep in mind people like who like to collect games for 40 years are an exception. Talking about myself, I don't even see the point in keeping games for longer than one generation ahead of its release. All my games from PS2 and DS days are gone and yeah, I don't think I need them I'm sorry if consumers like me are fucking with you, but that's how I feel keke

Off topic:

In a forum where people are so eager to defend companies charging full price for 90's ports with barely any improves I wonder why make such a issue over those same companies shutting down the stores that sells the original games. You guys can keep just buying their overpriced remasters released every gen, don't worry they won't stop to be released anytime soon 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 23 March 2021

Off topic:

In a forum where people are so eager to defend companies charging full price for 90's ports with barely any improves I wonder why make such a issue over those same companies shutting down the stores that sells the original games. You guys can keep just buying their overpriced remasters released every gen, don't worry they won't stop to be released anytime soon 

Honestly, physical games are little more than collectors' items at this point. I wouldn't expect companies to continue to support platforms with dwindling userbases. Just like those same companies shouldn't expect people to -not- create backups of the -physical- software they paid for.

Last edited by Innovalias - on 23 March 2021

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9