By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and PS Vita stores no longer closing

JWeinCom said:
Conina said:

That is no cartridge but a normal cassette tape for the Coleco Adam home computer.

C64 had similar data tapes until the floppy drives got popular.

Or the audio tapes for Sony's Walkman.

And this was the essential tool for these cassettes:

Lol. I'm old enough to remember cassettes. Just never knew they had games on them.

It was much cheaper than floppy discs or cartridges, so most 8-bit home computers used them:



Around the Network
Conina said:
JWeinCom said:

Lol. I'm old enough to remember cassettes. Just never knew they had games on them.

It was much cheaper than floppy discs or cartridges, so most 8-bit home computers used them:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.



JWeinCom said:
Mandalore76 said:

You really believe Switch cartridges will no longer be functional in less than 2 decades?  When it is still easy to find working copies of all of these games?:

Nintendo DS cartridge (15 years old): 

Nintendo 64 cartridge (25 years old): 

NES cartridge (35 years old): 

Colecovision Digital Data Pack (37 years old): 

ColecoVision Cartridge (39 years old):

No way that copy of Zelda is functioning. Save battery has to be long dead. 

Also, first time I ever have seen what a colecovision cartridge looks like.

Due to this giving me a flashback about tape loading I can attest that the ColecoVision tape is after 37 years still in the middle of loading the game and we wont know how long it takes since we aren't immortal.



mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

No way that copy of Zelda is functioning. Save battery has to be long dead. 

Also, first time I ever have seen what a colecovision cartridge looks like.

Due to this giving me a flashback about tape loading I can attest that the ColecoVision tape is after 37 years still in the middle of loading the game and we wont know how long it takes since we aren't immortal.

What happens when you hit rewind?



JWeinCom said:
mjk45 said:

Due to this giving me a flashback about tape loading I can attest that the ColecoVision tape is after 37 years still in the middle of loading the game and we wont know how long it takes since we aren't immortal.

What happens when you hit rewind?

We go back to November 5th, 1955.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Conina said:

It was much cheaper than floppy discs or cartridges, so most 8-bit home computers used them:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.

In my youth I purchased a second hand C64 it came with around 300 games and a disc drive but also a tape drive with a number of tapes,since the tapes had some games not on my discs I tried the tape drive, it took around ten minutes to load a game into the 64K memory the vast majority games loaded fully into memory. some worked in a similar way to future games with multiple discs,where the game stopped and you manually loaded another tape went and had a bath  made a cup of coffee walked the dog and then continued the game, asset loading came much later mainly due to HD's

Last edited by mjk45 - on 23 March 2021

mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.

In my youth I purchased a second hand C64 it came with around 300 games and a disc drive but also a tape drive with a number of tapes,since the tapes had some games not on my discs I tried the tape drive, it took around ten minutes to load a game into the 64K memory the vast majority games loaded fully into memory. some worked in a similar way to future games with multiple discs,where the game stopped and you manually loaded another tape went and had a bath  made a cup of coffee walked the dog and then continued the game, asset loading came much later mainly due to HD's

Ah. So once you load the came the cassette no longer needs to be read. I get it. Doesn't seem like a great system but I imagine it was cheaper than cartridges.



Glad pretty much my entire PS3 library is physical. I should have enough space for my VITA digital games as well, but it sucks about my digital only games.  Also the PS3/Vita has a lot of retro options that are just not available on PS4/5 as of yet.

Digital is nice as an option, but this is further proves physical media needs to stay.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

mjk45 said:
JWeinCom said:

Interesting. You learn something new everyday. I wouldn't think cassettes would lend themselves to that. Didn't think they could access a particular part of the game as needed. But I guess it does work.

In my youth I purchased a second hand C64 it came with around 300 games and a disc drive but also a tape drive with a number of tapes,since the tapes had some games not on my discs I tried the tape drive, it took around ten minutes to load a game into the 64K memory the vast majority games loaded fully into memory. some worked in a similar way to future games with multiple discs,where the game stopped and you manually loaded another tape went and had a bath  made a cup of coffee walked the dog and then continued the game, asset loading came much later mainly due to HD's

Never had the tape drive, but my friend had one... I hated it for being so slow.

My 1571 floppy drive was much faster, especially in combination with my fast loader cartridge "Final Cartridge III":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cartridge_III



Shiken said:

Glad pretty much my entire PS3 library is physical. I should have enough space for my VITA digital games as well, but it sucks about my digital only games.  Also the PS3/Vita has a lot of retro options that are just not available on PS4/5 as of yet.

Digital is nice as an option, but this is further proves physical media needs to stay.

Not when your PS3/PS4 CMOS battery dies. Can't access Physical games either. Something to do with the trophy data needing to connect to the PSN servers.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!