By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Vampyr - A friendly souls like game

Tagged games:

Won't even touch the part of having difficult selection (story mode - which void one trophy, normal - the way it is supposed to be played, or hard) nor the fact that the game have and additional challenge setting if you decide to go for the good route (a lot less experience, like I finished the game on level 26 while for trophy I had a backup save before the point of no return and done a portion of the evil route - like 30-50% - and that put me on level 45... but from what I read online seems like that this way of leveling up also levels up the enemies, my final boss was level 30 while some people had it at level 50, and since the useable skills for me were all on a good level at 26 it seems like it was a good choice).

Now to what I wanted to say. The game have some bugs, lags (like when you open the map to check the route, when you go back the char will be frozen for like couple seconds so if you were running from enemies they may close in or even hit you) and a very slow loading (this make the retry portion of the game a little problematic). But on the good side your only punishment for dying besides the loading is that you'll revive on the start of the section (like before entering a building/area or a just in front of that gate after passing it, it is done to ensure you don't return already in front of enemies so you can decide to engage or change route, go back, etc), on the bad side battles almost don't grant you experience (it is like 5 to 10 xp per enemy) and didn't verify if the loot is between entering the area and dying is lost (what I can say is that whatever item, ammo, etc you have used will be consumed and lost).

The battles of course are very unforgiving and several times unfair as I was constantly at least 5 levels less than enemies, sometimes even 15 levels below and mostly 10 levels apart, a advice I can give is weapon upgrade will make this less problematic and my choice was the two handed weapon with stun properties (you can upgrade it and damage will be automatic, plus you can choose either 10% more damage (sum up to 50%) or extra stun points). With this weapon I could stun most regular foes in 3 hits and either bite them to recover my stamina on the long frame of the blood sucking, which makes their stun gage increase a lot each time you do, or if not many enemies are around wait in position to recover stamina and restun the enemy faster since he will recover with partial and non-increased gage (discovered this could be very useful against bosses only when I reached the final boss which had second phase non stuneable, wish I had discovered this earlier).

Another aspect of battle that I discovered only by the end is that chaining is mostly pointless with the weapon I had (very short range) since the enemy will be throw a little back and your hit animation you take small step back and besides using more stamina it is easier for the enemy to try and get back at you. One swing at a time on the frame of the enemy will mostly keep him without being able to fight back (of course when there are a lot of enemies it is better to give a 3 hit combo and evade back to recover stamina).

All in all the game was very enjoyable and solid despise the shortcomings and who have saved it when given on PS+ I recommend a play. Let's discuss it and if you want me to comment on any other portion please just ask. The story is good enough, the chat on city (despise the silly repeat of the greetings every time you talk again to the same char) and sidequests are cool. The environment and ambience of the game is very good, while the graphic is below average.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

If it is friendly, can it really be called "souls like"?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

It have the same type of gameplay imho, with the need of rool/parry, stamina bar, need of patience, no button smashing. It is friendly on the way it not only allow you to chose your difficult but also is less unforgiving, although a good 1 to 3 hits can kill you and bosses don't really respect the limitations you have yourself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

dx11332sega said:

I guess the scores on metacritic are not essential, I should try this sometime.

I would give it a 7 to 8 because of the polish that is missing a little and graphics not being top notch, but yes If going by MC I would probably not have bought, good thing it was free.

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

It have the same type of gameplay imho, with the need of rool/parry, stamina bar, need of patience, no button smashing. It is friendly on the way it not only allow you to chose your difficult but also is less unforgiving, although a good 1 to 3 hits can kill you and bosses don't really respect the limitations you have yourself.

It was a joke, playing on how Souls games are known for being punishing.  Wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  XD

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I was actually kinda interested in this one and interested in picking it up once I catch up on my backlog, but if it's like Dark Souls I'll avoid it like the plague. Not a fan of those games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 March 2021

As a huge Souls fan, and I played Vampyr when it first released, I personally never got Souls like vibes from it though. Great game.

shikamaru317 said:

We need more friendly Souls-likes such as Vampyr and Jedi: Fallen Order.

Haven't played Jedi yet, may try it.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

It was a joke, playing on how Souls games are known for being punishing.  Wasn't meant to be taken seriously.  XD

Understood, no harm done =]

Vampyr is punishing enough for people that aren't used to Soul imho (sure not to the same level, since even myself that aren't much used to it, on the hardest bosses I died no more than 10 times before being able to pass, playing on regular difficult without much level up and only discovering how good my two hand upgraded weapon could do).

curl-6 said:

I was actually kinda interested in this one and interested in picking it up once I catch up on my backlog, but if it's like Dark Souls I'll avoid it like the plague. Not a fan of those games.

Depend on how you see the "like Dark Souls", gameplay wise I think it is similar, but if you are worried about the excessive difficulty then don't worry over it, you can even play on the history mode (easy) which void only a single achievement.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Depend on how you see the "like Dark Souls", gameplay wise I think it is similar, but if you are worried about the excessive difficulty then don't worry over it, you can even play on the history mode (easy) which void only a single achievement.

I find "unforgiving" or "punishing" type combat to be incredibly frustrating and not at all fun. I prefer my games to be stress-free.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

I find "unforgiving" or "punishing" type combat to be incredibly frustrating and not at all fun. I prefer my games to be stress-free.

I'm the same. The combat for regular encounters is only punishing if you are to careless. I would say I died perhaps 10-20 times total for regular mob, so not that problematic (but at least don't lose experience). Boss are the punishing ones because each one is very different and takes some time to learn how to better engage the combat against them. But once you do, you would probably win like 2/3 of the times you tried to fight them.