By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite main series Final Fantasy game?

What's your favorite main series Final Fantasy game?

Final Fantasy I 13 1.59%

Final Fantasy IV 29 3.54%

Final Fantasy VI 140 17.07%

Final Fantasy VII 261 31.83%

Final Fantasy IX 110 13.41%

Final Fantasy X 99 12.07%

Final Fantasy XII 47 5.73%

Final Fantasy XIV 16 1.95%

Final Fantasy XV 27 3.29%

Other 78 9.51%

Total:820

I played VI, IX, X, XI, XII and XIV substantial amounts (single player games to completion and several years on both online games).

It's a really hard thing to pick the best because they're all so good. If I have to, I'll go with XI because I never had an experience like that and probably never will again. The grind was not only fun (the battle mechanics were godly and all MMOs including the stellar XIV feel shallow in comparison), but everything I accomplished felt earned and important. Probably the closet experience to it I can compare in terms of feeling satisfaction for completing objectives in a game is Bloodborne (which seems weird considering most FF games were never really challenging). It's amazing how it was an MMO that forced teamwork. Now most MMOs are basically single player games with the option to raid in groups.

Around the Network

I just realized Rol skipped VIII. That's funny.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Have only completed Final Fantasy VIII and XIII.
Needless to say 8 was my favourite. Triple triad could almost be a game in its own right, OST was God tier and junction system was underrated. The more realistic graphics with the story focus being on teen/young adult characters really appealed to me at the time. I suppose it helped that I was a teenager myself when I played it the first time.

As for XVI, I hope it is more like FF7 and 8. Hope that they allow you to overpower your characters with the right tactics. 

Also would prefer a more linear experience for the story portion of the game as well.

Last edited by Branko2166 - on 25 March 2021

Branko2166 said:

Have only completed Final Fantasy VIII and XIII.
Needless to say 8 was my favourite. Triple triad could almost be a game in its own right, OST was God tier and junction system was underrated. The more realistic graphics with the story focus being on teen/young adult characters really appealed to me at the time. I suppose it helped that I was a teenager myself when I played it the first time.

As for XVI, I hope it is more like FF7 and 8. Hope that they allow you to overpower your characters with the right tactics. 

Also would prefer a more linear experience for the story portion of the game as well.

Kinda is. SE released Triple Triad Mobile back in 2015, on iOS and Android. But yeah its addictive and fun.

I remember the game fondly. However looking back, the story and cast isn't it strong suit nor is the draw/junction system mechanic. I mean drawing magic for hours on end to build stats/magic power isn't my idea of fun anymore lol. Still, the music was great and basic gameplay was all there. Idd about TT, that is still the best mini-game in any FF.

Last edited by hinch - on 25 March 2021

550 votes. No idea we had so many lurkers 

Around the Network

You can tell from the poll that 6-10 was basically the peak of the series.

IcaroRibeiro said:

550 votes. No idea we had so many lurkers 

The poll is on the front page.  

I've only played III, IV, X and XV. X was really underwhelming for how its hyped up, though I can understand how important it must have been on release. The cinematics are still gorgeous. IV on the DS is still the best experience I have had with a Final Fantasy.

I hope XVI to be great. I like that they seem more focused on gameplay and story than graphics this time, its a good sign after XV.

Yeah I'm probably the only one but I love V the most. I'm not a fan of job systems but FFV made it really fun. I also love the FFs that don't take themselves too seriously so V fits the bill quite well. Looking back it's definitely not the best FF, but it's my favorite. In terms of an overall package I think FFVI is the best in the series.

My favorite tends to jump between FFIX, FFXII, and FFX. It's really hard to pick one because they all do things that i really like. ideally the best FF would be a combination of these games.

As for FFXVI i don't have high expectations for it. So far I'm just not seeing what i'd like to see when it comes to Final Fantasy but maybe i'll change my mind when they show more of the game.

Ljink96 said:

Yeah I'm probably the only one but I love V the most. I'm not a fan of job systems but FFV made it really fun. I also love the FFs that don't take themselves too seriously so V fits the bill quite well. Looking back it's definitely not the best FF, but it's my favorite. In terms of an overall package I think FFVI is the best in the series.

Final Fantasy V is one of my favorite rpgs. The job system allow to play the game with diferent set ups every time, making this one of the most replayable Final Fantasy in the series ( FF XII Zodiac Age too, for the same reason)

FF VI is my favorite, but V has humor, adventure, a big world to explore and very flexible job system.

Sorry for my bad english.