By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Activision Blizzard CEO Nets HUGE Bonus After Mass Layoffs

Ka-pi96 said:
Rab said:

This sounds all very defeatist, just accepting this unfair situation as being normal

Unions and employment laws exist for a reason, back at the beginning of the industrial revolution workers including many children were paid and could leave (not slaves) but were terribly exploited by the owners and managers, we live in a better working world today because people had so called "pity parties" to bring up and fight against these issues that for many was just normal business at the time, but some outstanding/brave people said 'that is not good enough', now we have a new normal, and even though better, it's still not good enough, we are an evolving society   

I also stand up for what I believe in  

What exactly do you want though?

The CEO to not have gotten a bonus? You can argue about the morals of it, that's fine. But if you're saying it shouldn't even be legal then you're saying the government should tell people what they can and can't do with their own money. That's even more unfair IMO. If the company wants to give him that money then they should have every right to do so.

The people shouldn't have been fired? So you think companies should be forced to employ and pay people that they don't want or need? That too is much more unfair as far as I'm concerned. If I had a house with a garden and employed a gardener to tend to it but then moved to a new house with no garden why should I continue to pay the gardener? That would be ridiculous.

That's also an apt comparison since Activision Blizzard are saying the layoffs are due to a transition to more digital distribution and events rather than physical stuff and live events. If they're not doing those things anymore then why should they still pay people to stand around and do nothing?

Besides, a lot of the layoffs are in Europe, and like you said there are employment laws for a reason so they'll probably be getting a big final paycheque that will help tide them over while they find a new job, plus Europe has plenty of welfare systems in place too so even if they struggle to find a new job for awhile it still may not be an issue.

A fairer system, that's all I'm saying for now

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/nationwide-protests-planned-as-backlash-over-exorbitant-ceo-salaries-grows/news-story/8002afd30c2ea8b6eb4e4e3b5ee9d71b 

We are not going to solve this in this forum, the 'how' should be left up to the experts

But the first step is admitting we have a societal problem, by letting the tax payer cover all the employer unemployment expenses for a failed business whilst the CEO walks away with incredibly large bonus for failing, just means it was the tax payer that ultimately subsidised those bonus's to those rich individuals, doesn't seem fair and equitable, so lets find a way to change it, I don't know how, be we should try and not just see it as normal and do nothing or say nothing     



Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Rab said:

This sounds all very defeatist, just accepting this unfair situation as being normal

Unions and employment laws exist for a reason, back at the beginning of the industrial revolution workers including many children were paid and could leave (not slaves) but were terribly exploited by the owners and managers, we live in a better working world today because people had so called "pity parties" to bring up and fight against these issues that for many was just normal business at the time, but some outstanding/brave people said 'that is not good enough', now we have a new normal, and even though better, it's still not good enough, we are an evolving society   

I also stand up for what I believe in  

It's not defeatist.
It's called turning it into an opportunity to use that work experience to open up new opportunities, it's turning it into a positive, not a negative.

You are being a dippy downer about it all, gotta' stop the pity party train and catch the next bus at some point in life, we all eventually do it.

benji232 said:

IT'S a plainly obvious problem if a CEO is allowed to make 200M$ from a bonus payment while his employees are all making peanuts. If you can't see the problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, I'm not saying everyone should be paid equally, but there is a fine line between being paid equally and being paid literal crumbs compared to the ceo. 

Point blank is NO one deserves 200M$ from a bonus. The fact that so many ceos DO get those grossly huge overpayments is proof that the current system is broken.

That's capitalism.
It is what the market (Job market is a market) is willing to pay for that particular skillset and experience.

If you wish to make $200 million from a bonus, you are free to work yourself up the ladder and offer a compelling equivalent resume in terms of qualifications and experience that would offer such an opportunity.
If you don't wish to do so, then don't hold others back due to your own lack of motivation or desire or force your ethics onto others.

Otherwise, why would anyone bother to strive to succeed in certain fields if we are all paid the same? It's an incentive. Money makes the world go round.

Hope you realise you just spewed out some serious BS, CEO's in the past didn't earn hundreds of times the average workers wage, now they do, real wages for workers has remained almost stagnant in years, the disparity is getting larger, "free" to also get those same jobs and earn that money, really that's a joke, almost no one is "free" to be in that position of privilege :/

It's an issue

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/wealth/nationwide-protests-planned-as-backlash-over-exorbitant-ceo-salaries-grows/news-story/8002afd30c2ea8b6eb4e4e3b5ee9d71b 

 



Rab said:
Pemalite said:

What part of "Hope they find new employment quickly" didn't you grasp?

It's certainly not wishing ill on the individuals. - And it is certainly not praising management for receiving a bonus whilst they cut off employees.

I did not intended to offend you nor did I say you were wrong, looks like your trying to be offended, this for me is disappointing, I thought better of you :/

I'm done here, too many don't give a damn, and thanks for the few that did 

LMAO, people deliberately misunderstand your point.

I think you made it clear in the context of what is being discussed here. But some just want to move the discussion somewhere else and ignore your point completely.

Yes, some companies see it as something normal. It's a disgusting gesture to the people who have been fired.



Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Rab said:

I did not intended to offend you nor did I say you were wrong, looks like your trying to be offended, this for me is disappointing, I thought better of you :/

I'm done here, too many don't give a damn, and thanks for the few that did 

LMAO, people deliberately misunderstand your point.

I think you made it clear in the context of what is being discussed here. But some just want to move the discussion somewhere else and ignore your point completely.

Yes, some companies see it as something normal. It's a disgusting gesture to the people who have been fired.

Thank you Peh



Rab, I admire the patience that you showed in this thread. I can't believe how many times you have been misunderstood (either on purpose or not doesn't matter, both is bad). I can't believe how people just shrug off such a disgusting practice as normal capitalism. I studied business, I know capitalism, and I still think it's disgusting. We would still be making fires with rocks and sticks if there weren't progressive people in this world. Reading this thread makes me think that some would actually feel perfectly fine with rocks and sticks because "that's just the way it is, deal with it bruh."

I understand that companies are evolving and need to react to changing environments. But at the same time ActiBlizzard was a key player in making digital purchasing attractive in the first place (many big companies did, not just them but they played a part). So this is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Also, if you withdraw your workforce, you obviously lose the experience and skills of these people. At least offering them a transfer to somewhere else should be possible. I don't know if they even thought about that . The point is, laying people off should always be the last resort for any company in an ideal world.

The company I work in closed down one entire production plant because of poor management decisions, yet the management still gets their nice bonusses and salary raises like it was nothing. I do not stand behind this decision and will never get tired of criticizing it whenever the topic arises.

Businesses need to react but at the same time so do societies. If the general consesus shifts towards a rather negatve attitude against CEO shenanigans, and to more employee-friendly approaches, then things might change for good.



Around the Network

Bobby's on a different level entirely, but we kind of knew that.

He's one of the bosses that have held firm throughout, and never left anyone in doubt as to whether he believes that he deserves his position.
I'm inclined to believe that he really does, too.
Despite the fact that I don't particularly like him, his business practices, or even the games that his company puts out.



Agree it is a shitty thing to happen and companies should avoid it where possible.

However I will give some advice to those who haven't experienced it yet..

You can either be sad and angry about it and be negative all day, or you can look at the flip side and tell yourself there is something better out there for you.

When I lost my job many years ago, I was sad that I would not get to work with the people that I got used to working with and even some of them were mates from UNI. However at that point in my life I said you know what, fuck it, let me see beyond my bubble and see what is out there based on the years of various experiences that I gained.

In turn by telling my sell you deserve something good in your life and not caring about my small little bubble I ended up finding a great job were I normally wouldn't even consider applying. Moved to a new state and been at the same company now for 10 years. Have made many great new friends and work colleagues are all nice and supportive of each other.

There are also plenty of personal live experiences I would not have gained if I stayed in my safe small bubble. I would not change it for the world. Loosing that job was the best thing for my life as it created a better opportunity. However I wanted to look for that opportunity, it does not just land on your lap.




 

 

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

This sounds all very defeatist, just accepting this unfair situation as being normal

Unions and employment laws exist for a reason, back at the beginning of the industrial revolution workers including many children were paid and could leave (not slaves) but were terribly exploited by the owners and managers, we live in a better working world today because people had so called "pity parties" to bring up and fight against these issues that for many was just normal business at the time, but some outstanding/brave people said 'that is not good enough', now we have a new normal, and even though better, it's still not good enough, we are an evolving society   

I also stand up for what I believe in  

It's not defeatist.
It's called turning it into an opportunity to use that work experience to open up new opportunities, it's turning it into a positive, not a negative.

You are being a dippy downer about it all, gotta' stop the pity party train and catch the next bus at some point in life, we all eventually do it.

benji232 said:

IT'S a plainly obvious problem if a CEO is allowed to make 200M$ from a bonus payment while his employees are all making peanuts. If you can't see the problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, I'm not saying everyone should be paid equally, but there is a fine line between being paid equally and being paid literal crumbs compared to the ceo. 

Point blank is NO one deserves 200M$ from a bonus. The fact that so many ceos DO get those grossly huge overpayments is proof that the current system is broken.

That's capitalism.
It is what the market (Job market is a market) is willing to pay for that particular skillset and experience.

If you wish to make $200 million from a bonus, you are free to work yourself up the ladder and offer a compelling equivalent resume in terms of qualifications and experience that would offer such an opportunity.
If you don't wish to do so, then don't hold others back due to your own lack of motivation or desire or force your ethics onto others.

Otherwise, why would anyone bother to strive to succeed in certain fields if we are all paid the same? It's an incentive. Money makes the world go round.

Thanks for the Macro class 101, anything else you want to teach me? You taught an economics PHD student a whole lot!

Have you ever heard of a certain concept called externalities that can cause distortions in the market equilibrium leading to inefficient market equilibrium wages? 

Do you want me to link you to a few research papers so that you can perhaps educate yourself a bit more before making a fool out of yourself?

The system is broken, and me pointing it out doesn't mean I'm some lazy ass who refuses to work. The only lazy person here is you for thinking 101 economics fundamentals was enough for justifying your dumbfounded argument.

Edit: Here is a research paper talking a bit about the diminishing marginal utility of wealth: (PDF) The Value of Behavioral Economics for EU Judicial Decision-Making (researchgate.net)

Last edited by benji232 - on 22 March 2021

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Mr Puggsly said:
benji232 said:

I don't know, maybe giving a better than barely living wage to the employees instead of pissing it all away to a single billionaire? 200M$ divided among 10 000 employees is an extra 20 grand each (as an example).

Now, obviously, the problem is a big one with no easy solution. And I will not pretend like I'm some Nobel winning prize economist who could find a solution to this issue, but you don't need to know the solution of a problem to know that there is a problem.

IT'S a plainly obvious problem if a CEO is allowed to make 200M$ from a bonus payment while his employees are all making peanuts. If you can't see the problem with that, then I don't know what to tell you. Obviously, I'm not saying everyone should be paid equally, but there is a fine line between being paid equally and being paid literal crumbs compared to the ceo. 

Point blank is NO one deserves 200M$ from a bonus. The fact that so many ceos DO get those grossly huge overpayments is proof that the current system is broken.

You haven't really said anything.

Now it may not feel right to you, but that doesn't mean the system is broken. I think we often see more problems when politicians push to make things fair. That's why people leave certain cities and states in masses.

I did say stuff, did you even bother to read? Maybe, you're just the one who just WANTS to see something and refuses to acknowledge the reality.



Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Mr Puggsly said:
Rab said:

The Stock market is just gambling for the Rich 

Myself and many others who aren't rich have made thousands placing safe bets on the stock market.

Have you ever heard causal versus correlation? Even though you won, it absolutely does not mean YOU'RE the reason you made money. I have a better explanation for your winnings, it's called: luck.

And I have no problem with gambling, heck, I enjoy gambling a bit myself... But come on lol...



Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M