By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Activision Blizzard CEO Nets HUGE Bonus After Mass Layoffs

In Japan it is known, including with Nintendo, when things go south the CEO humbly takes a pay cut to try and keep as many of their people in a job as possible, in most other parts of the World the CEO gets rewarded as their workers get laid off, leaving the least able to pay the price of bad management :/ 

Around the Network

Not the first time this has happened... And absolutely not the last time either.

It happens in every industry, part of life. Hopefully the workers find new employment quickly.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Not the first time this has happened... And absolutely not the last time either.

It happens in every industry, part of life. Hopefully the workers find new employment quickly.

I understand this is normal and happens all  the time, slavery was normal once too, so was treating gays, trans, women like second class citizens normal and still is in many parts of the world, the point is we can do better and should try to be better, not just accept it (I know you didn't mean it like that, I've read your posts countless times, and your a decent person by far) 

Rab said:
Pemalite said:

I understand this is normal and happens all  the time, slavery was normal once too, so was treating gays, trans, women like second class citizens normal and still is in many parts of the world, the point is we can do better and should try to be better, not just accept it (I know you didn't mean it like that, I've read your posts countless times, and your a decent person by far) 

People getting fired being compared to slavery and civil rights? Yeah, okay. I mean the argument is flawed, but your heart is in the right place.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Rab said:
Pemalite said:

Comparing the loss of a job (And wishing them luck in finding another outlet!) to slavery, discrimination and so forth are completely and utterly different issues.

You will need to come back with a more logical argument... Rather than whatever the hell that was.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Rab said:

People getting fired being compared to slavery and civil rights? Yeah, okay. I mean the argument is flawed, but your heart is in the right place.

? No - it's a really sick comparison.  Slavery was evil, and discrimination is a really nasty persistently ignored reality of the modern world.  

Jobs, especially in creative and service industries come and go according to the need.  Sometimes it works out well for the employees, sometimes it doesn't.  Changing jobs isn't always bad, anyway.  A company can't keep paying 200 people to sit around doing nothing.  You also can't underestimate how much of a PITA it is to hire 200 people and get them up to speed, so it isn't done on a whim.

As to the CEO's bonus?  Well it's their money, so they can do what they want with it.  If you can do better, no one is stopping you setting up your own company  Then you can do whatever you like.

It’s mostly because he’s being rewarded for the show of increasing the efficiency the business. Whether or not he actually did anything isn’t usually what shareholders or the board are paying attention to, just the convincing that what they’re doing will improve business. If it doesn’t work, the board fires the CEO, cuts him a severance cheque—that’s the next act.

Neoliberals latch onto a fantasy that these “bold actions” by executives is done to positively impact their companies. Their actions are not for the company’s interest, and most often don’t result in positive results - other than share value rising. All anyone wants is positive news for their superiors so they can get their promotion and their pay. In all likelihood, there was no real reason for the redundancies. It’s performance art.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Pemalite said:
Rab said:

Comparing the loss of a job (And wishing them luck in finding another outlet!) to slavery, discrimination and so forth are completely and utterly different issues.

You will need to come back with a more logical argument... Rather than whatever the hell that was.

I'm not making a direct comparison, people really missed the point :p

It's more of what we think of as "normal", once slavery was "normal" now its not (I also mentioned how women were and are treated, but that didn't even get a mention, straight to the most emotive point lol), this situation may seem "normal" so it doesn't garner much attention, but it really is something that needs to change imo

The fact management can be rewarded for a poorly run business and the only the ones that suffer are the employees is pretty bad, surely some of you can see that  

Jumpin said:

Their actions are not for the company’s interest, and most often don’t result in positive results - other than share value rising.

Interesting that you think that things that aren't in the company's interests increase the share value.  That would seem to be counterintuitive to most investors.

As ever, armchair commenting is easy.  People who think they know better than the stock market really, really should put their money where their mouths are.  Then post a photo from your private yacht in a few years to make us all envious...  

OneTime said:
Jumpin said:

Their actions are not for the company’s interest, and most often don’t result in positive results - other than share value rising.

Interesting that you think that things that aren't in the company's interests increase the share value.  That would seem to be counterintuitive to most investors.

As ever, armchair commenting is easy.  People who think they know better than the stock market really, really should put their money where their mouths are.  Then post a photo from your private yacht in a few years to make us all envious...  

The Stock market is just gambling for the Rich