By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony makes awesome Tv's for gamers in mind,relative converted me.

switching away from an LG? pardon me



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
dx11332sega said:

My sister's boyfriend had an LG it was great. He returned it for a Sony X900H and it was beauiful , I was amazed how good it looked he recommended paying half and I pay the rest for my own. I was thinking and maybe I should take his offer?

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

This is not accurate, and hasn't been at least since the end of CRTs.  Sony sells some good TVs (I own one and like it) but so do many other brands.  And, an important note, just a few companies are making the vast majority of panels used by all brands.  For example, Sony OLEDs use LG panels - in some cases, the exact same ones found in LG TVs.  

The one clear advantage of the Sony brand over many of the other mass marketers is that Sony doesn't sell any junkers.  So, if you are in the market for an entry-level TV, and you don't want to do a bunch of research, you can safely purchase a Sony and know that you are getting a decent TV. 



The 2021 Sony televisions don't have the HDMI 2.1 issues (although it is still quite good on the 2020 X900H for the price, the 900H will still get VRR, it won't get auto low latency I believe but in combination with a PS5 the TV will automatically switch to game mode which is the same thing). Also the 2021 TV's come with much better image processing and for the X90J (successor of the X90H) it also has a small increase in the number of zones. Of course the 2021 models are much more expensive and will drop to lower prices during the holiday season.

Can't comment on the deal. If he is willing to pay half of a TV that you will in the end own it seems like a good deal. If the TV is already there then I am a bit confused.

I'm gonna buy the X95J when it releases. Don't have the budget for the A90J OLED that some already received this week. Possibly the best OLED TV and maybe even best consumer TV till date.



Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0

I'll go with LG...

Especially since LG are going to make 42 inch OLEDs which will be much better as a monitor than 55 inches



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

The Sony A90J looks to be the best TV this year in my opinion. It has everything needed for gaming (2.1, HDR, low latency etc.) , along with that beautiful OLED screen and form factor.

If you are buying a TV though, wait to buy one between October and December (there's generally a $300-$600 price drop by that time). New TV's launch in Spring annually, but to me 2021 looks like a decent time to buy a new TV. The X900H is a good model, but I'm holding out for the A90J and greater gaming compatibility.

An LG would be the only alternative right now, and you can weigh the pros and cons in that price range.



 

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
dx11332sega said:

My sister's boyfriend had an LG it was great. He returned it for a Sony X900H and it was beauiful , I was amazed how good it looked he recommended paying half and I pay the rest for my own. I was thinking and maybe I should take his offer?

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

Sony Bravia A8H absolutely has the best picture quality right now as far as I am concerned (Minus the insanely expensive super-expensive master series), absolutely with you there.
...But is it the best display for gaming? Not by a long shot.

* Lacks HDMI 2.1 and thus VRR.
* Higher input lag than the LG CX.
* Tops out at only 65".


...But Sony is also releasing the Bravia A90J this month which should change things up... And the A80J should be a very viable alternative to the LG CX series.

I have an LG 65" 1080P display in the games room, LG 70" 4k display in the bedroom and an LG 86" 4k display in my lounge room... I am always impressed on how well the old 1080P manages to hang in there...
Part of the issue is that very rarely is content mastered in 4k though, most 4k/UHD Blu rays use a 1080P master for their disc and just do an upscale of the content... It's not until you get films like Lord of the Rings, where they went back to the naked film and mastered the disc in proper 4k that you start to see some significant improvements.

Free to Air TV is often 1080i/720P.
Console games are only now just starting to touch upon 4k, but even on a 1080P panel, the super-sampling will provide for some very clean non-aliased edging making the games look bloody great.
Most streaming services here are 1080P... But the resolution of the streams isn't actually the issue, it's the bitrate, heavy compression means that it's never going to be an optimal picture irrespective of the streams resolution.
I would always opt for a 1080P high bitrate stream over a 4k low bitrate stream, less macroblocking, better gradients, it's just a better image.

************

This is the year to get a good display, just make sure it's HDMI 2.1 and comes with variable refresh, 120hz and all those other goodies.

VAMatt said:
Heavenly_King said:

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

This is not accurate, and hasn't been at least since the end of CRTs.  Sony sells some good TVs (I own one and like it) but so do many other brands.  And, an important note, just a few companies are making the vast majority of panels used by all brands.  For example, Sony OLEDs use LG panels - in some cases, the exact same ones found in LG TVs.  

The one clear advantage of the Sony brand over many of the other mass marketers is that Sony doesn't sell any junkers.  So, if you are in the market for an entry-level TV, and you don't want to do a bunch of research, you can safely purchase a Sony and know that you are getting a decent TV. 

This.

However we need to keep in mind that the way Sony and LG do image processing is very different, which is how Sony is often able to hold a slight edge over it's LG counterparts, even if it does fall short in a few key areas.

Either way, if you are buying a Sony or an LG OLED, you are getting a bloody good display, brand loyalty has always been a silly thing.

Only reason I have opted for LG over Sony has been because my local stores don't stock Sony.. So it's mostly for warranty purposes... I.E. My 70" panel was a free upgrade from a 65" panel that died, the store picked up the old display and gave me a brand new 70" one as it was all they had in stock. - Can't argue with that.

elazz said:

The 2021 Sony televisions don't have the HDMI 2.1 issues (although it is still quite good on the 2020 X900H for the price, the 900H will still get VRR, it won't get auto low latency I believe but in combination with a PS5 the TV will automatically switch to game mode which is the same thing). Also the 2021 TV's come with much better image processing and for the X90J (successor of the X90H) it also has a small increase in the number of zones. Of course the 2021 models are much more expensive and will drop to lower prices during the holiday season.

Can't comment on the deal. If he is willing to pay half of a TV that you will in the end own it seems like a good deal. If the TV is already there then I am a bit confused.

I'm gonna buy the X95J when it releases. Don't have the budget for the A90J OLED that some already received this week. Possibly the best OLED TV and maybe even best consumer TV till date.

The x900H is a VA panel, not OLED.

Captain_Yuri said:

I'll go with LG...

Especially since LG are going to make 42 inch OLEDs which will be much better as a monitor than 55 inches

Just be careful... There is a reason why the PC hasn't fully embraced OLED in it's monitors yet... And that is screen burn in, televisions aren't expected to sit on a static screen for hours on end like a PC monitor... Which is also why Plasma never entered the PC market either.

Plus monitors don't tend to do lots of image processing/manipulation, so they are naturally low-latency.




--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

VAMatt said:
Heavenly_King said:

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

This is not accurate, and hasn't been at least since the end of CRTs.  Sony sells some good TVs (I own one and like it) but so do many other brands.  And, an important note, just a few companies are making the vast majority of panels used by all brands.  For example, Sony OLEDs use LG panels - in some cases, the exact same ones found in LG TVs.  

The one clear advantage of the Sony brand over many of the other mass marketers is that Sony doesn't sell any junkers.  So, if you are in the market for an entry-level TV, and you don't want to do a bunch of research, you can safely purchase a Sony and know that you are getting a decent TV. 

Even in their final run of CRTs they were not the best. I have 2 flat-screen CRTs. A Trinitron 27 inch and a 20 inch Daewoo. Daewoo has much better colors than Sony.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

sony make the most reliable tv's, they last forever.



Pemalite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I'll go with LG...

Especially since LG are going to make 42 inch OLEDs which will be much better as a monitor than 55 inches

Just be careful... There is a reason why the PC hasn't fully embraced OLED in it's monitors yet... And that is screen burn in, televisions aren't expected to sit on a static screen for hours on end like a PC monitor... Which is also why Plasma never entered the PC market either.

Plus monitors don't tend to do lots of image processing/manipulation, so they are naturally low-latency.


Yea that's true but Best Buy does offer a 5 year burn in warranty for the OLED screens and I figure that after 5 years, I'll get a new one anyway.



             

                               Anime: Haruhi                                                                                                           Nsfw Anime Thread                                     

LG>Samsung>Sony imo