By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony makes awesome Tv's for gamers in mind,relative converted me.

Depends on how nice you are to them.

If you get to use the TV at the moment anyway, then paying half the cost of it seems pointless. If at some point in the future you want to own the TV, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a new one at that point. Nothing becomes cheap fast like last-year's electronics.

Around the Network

Careful when buying new Sony TVs. There has been alot of miss marketing and over promises.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2020/8/3/21348598/ps5-sony-tv-playstation-5-ready-4k-8k
Old article however have a read and see first if Sony has addressed the issues first before spending big on the TVs.

Let's hope Sony will continue to update the TV so they don't go back on their word of it being "PS5-ready", but despite that, that model is extremely gorgeous for it's lower budget price and I would highly recommend.

That's the TV I been hearing won't work well with PS5's. Which is funny. Sony's own products not working well with their own products.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I can't speak to that specific model, but Sony does tend to have very good image quality and would be a good choice on that basis.

To the issues with PS5 people mention, those generally revolve around VRR (variable refresh rate, which negates tearing) and perhaps latency.
I'm not sure if latency is something that could be improved in firmware update, but regardless only is critical if you are top end competive player.

VRR is something with abstract appeal to gamers, but translating it from theory into practice has been more complicated on the display side of things.
Also, very few people right now have this feature on their TVs (and PS5 currently hasn't enabled support, possibly due to Sony's TV chipset issue).
Also fair to say that VRR will never be the default assumption because PS5 must work with the many TVs that lack this feature, so games will always
be optimized for achieving a stable frame rate (which is desirable even with VRR, since variable frame timing is also a negative, even if less than tearing).
Given PS5 looks to have most stable frame rates of the nextgen, I think it's fair to say VRR isn't necessarily the top priority for alot of gamers on PS5.
So it's more of theoretical issue for technically (usually PC) orientated) gamers who want every theoretical benefit even before they see it in action.

I would say if you want to (and can, don't break the bank!) buy a great looking TV now and can get good price for it, then go ahead and consider it.
Fair to say that in a year or 2 it is likely Sony will release new models with full VRR support (at which point PS5 will enable VRR support) but that is
a general truism of consumer electronics, and there isn't much sense in waiting forever just so you can win more points in theoretical tech superiority.
All the more so when PS5 currently doesn't enable any VRR support even if the TV does support it, so there is literally no difference you could notice now.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

That's the TV I been hearing won't work well with PS5's. Which is funny. Sony's own products not working well with their own products.

As in, may not fully support a feature that PS5 does not currently enable but might in the future, a feature few people understand or have experienced.
Also fair to say, PS5 is successfully demonstrating stable high frame rates which tend to minimize the "issue" driving VRR in the first place.
Console games of this gen will never assume VRR capable TVs because it just isn't standard enough in consumer televisions,
so games will all be optimized for stable frame rates, making VRR more of a technical bragging right than core consumer concern.
(not to say it's not nice, but if somebody wants TV now, and PS5 doesn't currently enable VRR even if TV can handle it, I wouldn't call it reason to not buy a TV)

dx11332sega said:

My sister's boyfriend had an LG it was great. He returned it for a Sony X900H and it was beauiful , I was amazed how good it looked he recommended paying half and I pay the rest for my own. I was thinking and maybe I should take his offer?

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

switching away from an LG? pardon me

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Heavenly_King said:
dx11332sega said:

My sister's boyfriend had an LG it was great. He returned it for a Sony X900H and it was beauiful , I was amazed how good it looked he recommended paying half and I pay the rest for my own. I was thinking and maybe I should take his offer?

Sony ALWAYS  has the best picture quality. it does not matter what technical info the other TV has; SONY will always be better.................and more expensive.

My TV has 11 years and it looks better than some of today's TVs .....weird because even some of those are 4k.

This is not accurate, and hasn't been at least since the end of CRTs.  Sony sells some good TVs (I own one and like it) but so do many other brands.  And, an important note, just a few companies are making the vast majority of panels used by all brands.  For example, Sony OLEDs use LG panels - in some cases, the exact same ones found in LG TVs.  

The one clear advantage of the Sony brand over many of the other mass marketers is that Sony doesn't sell any junkers.  So, if you are in the market for an entry-level TV, and you don't want to do a bunch of research, you can safely purchase a Sony and know that you are getting a decent TV. 

The 2021 Sony televisions don't have the HDMI 2.1 issues (although it is still quite good on the 2020 X900H for the price, the 900H will still get VRR, it won't get auto low latency I believe but in combination with a PS5 the TV will automatically switch to game mode which is the same thing). Also the 2021 TV's come with much better image processing and for the X90J (successor of the X90H) it also has a small increase in the number of zones. Of course the 2021 models are much more expensive and will drop to lower prices during the holiday season.

Can't comment on the deal. If he is willing to pay half of a TV that you will in the end own it seems like a good deal. If the TV is already there then I am a bit confused.

I'm gonna buy the X95J when it releases. Don't have the budget for the A90J OLED that some already received this week. Possibly the best OLED TV and maybe even best consumer TV till date.

Stories unfolded with my home made rap songs. Feel free to listen here with lyrics: https://youtu.be/vyT9PbK5_T0