By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Been watching the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist lately. 

I haven't watched Brotherhood myself, but heard it's even better. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Been watching the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist lately. 

I haven't watched Brotherhood myself, but heard it's even better. 

I've always thought that '03 starts better and BH ends better. Whenever I rewatch I do it back to back.

Been rewatching World's Wildest Police Videos, exasperated at the behavior of so many suspects, many of them teenagers. -_-

I watched a Jordan Peterson discussion. He used the word "proclivity" approximately 2-3 hundred times per hour.
When they call him a "dumb person's smart guy" I think it would be more accurate to say that he's "the idea of a smart person that dumb people have." kind of like how dumb people picture Mr. Monopoly (with the top hat and monocle) when they think of rich people, or Dr. Frankenstein as a scientist. Because, Jordan Peterson is more like a caricature of an intelligent person who doesn't seem particularly bright - he kept comparing everything from vaccinations to environmentalism to Nazism while slipping the word "proclivity" in there as much as he could.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 16 May 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Watching So Help Me Todd. Is it possible for Alison to shut the fuck up for even 10 seconds? The writers seem to be going out of their way to make Alison more annoying and bitchy with each of her new appearances. It's getting to the point where they could have her hit by a garbage truck and nobody will shed a tear.

Around the Network

Just went through the new Planet of the Apes movie series this past week, I had never watched any of them except for parts of Rise several years ago. Thought Rise was quite good, Dawn was incredible, War not as good but still great. Went to see Kingdom in theaters last night, and I was shocked at how mediocre it was, it felt so formulaic and generic, the plot follows just about every beat of all the "revival" films like The Force Awakens and stuff. Also unlike the previous trilogy, which had lots of really interesting commentary on our society, this one to me just felt like it had nothing to say, apart from how it depicts religion which unfortunately wasn't explored anywhere near as much as it could've.

Shogun: Beautiful series with amazing production values (though I was hoping for a grand battle that never materialized). FX has outdone themselves. Big balls on them to put so much money behind a show mainly spoken in Japanese. While not Japanese myself, I felt that they got a really good grasp of the etiquette and veiled, subtext laden dialogue of the culture. I hope we get more like it in the future.

EDIT: Holy shit I thought this was just a miniseries! I didn't realize it had been picked up for two more seasons!

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 24 May 2024

Kin. It's an Irish show that went on Netflix recently. It's up there with the best of crime drama.

TallSilhouette said:

Shogun: Beautiful series with amazing production values (though I was hoping for a grand battle that never materialized). FX has outdone themselves. Big balls on them to put so much money behind a show mainly spoken in Japanese. While not Japanese myself, I felt that they got a really good grasp of the etiquette and veiled, subtext laden dialogue of the culture. I hope we get more like it in the future.

EDIT: Holy shit I thought this was just a miniseries! I didn't realize it had been picked up for two more seasons!

It's soooooo good. Just a pity we don't get the battle until next season. Still, it tugged at the heart strings and brought out the historical japanese cultural love I have on me, I nearly cried when Blackthorn was going to commit seppuku for the village and I don't even know what you call the emotion I was feeling. 

Furiosa: The second act is every bit as good as Fury Road. The rest of the film lags behind it in a number of areas, particularly the pacing. It may have just been my theater but the sound design didn't grab me nearly as much this time either. That second act on the War Rig though still makes this worth the price of admission and the rest of the film is decent enough too.