By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I watched The Flash yesterday on Max (because I didn't want to support it in the theater with all the Ezra stuff, especially after reading this that made me throw up in my mouth just thinking about WB ditching Cavill while keeping Ezra, yes, AFTER The Flash). Simply put, the movie's just not that good. Nevermind the Ezra real life issues (more on that below), the movie's kinda a mess on its own merits and Ezra is a terrible Flash as well as a terrible person. He was f*cking annoying, surely not helped by him playing a second and even more annoying (younger) version of himself.

There's gaping plot holes (and threads that go nowhere), too, including one that made the ending completely nonsensical and contradicts the point it was trying to drive home about changing the past. Without going too deep into spoilers, it shows he didn't learn his lesson about messing with time. And of course, the CGI is terrible, yeah, we know.

Oh, and speaking of Ezra as Flash, there's also some really tone def shite in there that I'm quite frankly still baffled they left in with the reshoots. This will be covered in spoilers:

Spoiler!
Barry saying the Justice League isn’t very good at covering mental health issues ATM and stealing beers from their neighbor's apartment.

That's bound to rub some people the wrong way, especially women watching this.  I can see why they boycotted it in droves (a meager 24% of the Thursday demo split was women, that should tell you everything you need to know).

The Keaton stuff is what ultimately saved it from being a complete dumpster fire for me. It's not a terrible movie, but not one I'd want to watch again and definitely not "one of the all time great" CBMs Gunn and Co. hyped it up as prior to release.

Around the Network

Occasionally Yellowstone, only because my Dad watches it. I wanna feed Beth Dutton feet first into a woodchipper, she's just that unlikable.

The Bear S2: Even more intense, endearing, and cathartic than the first season. These characters are put through the wringer and you just want to see them succeed. Watching them develop and grow is so captivating and satisfying. This is definitely one of the best ~new shows on tv and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 03 September 2023

Saw Gina stabbed on Brooklyn Nine Nine. Eh, not as satisfying as when she was hit by a bus.

9/11: One Day In America: I was 11 when the towers fell and didn't fully appreciate what had happened for some time. Most of what I learned and saw came second hand or from brief and random news segments. For some reason I felt compelled this year to watch a proper documentary on the subject all those years ago now and I'm glad I did. There are so many fascinating and deeply emotional stories from that day and this doc dives into several of them attentively. If you're looking to learn more about that fateful day through an apolitical lens then this six parter from NatGeo (available on Disney+) is a good place to start. Much respect to the first responders, especially our firefighters and paramedics.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

9/11: One Day In America: I was 11 when the towers fell and didn't fully appreciate what had happened for some time. Most of what I learned and saw came second hand or from brief and random news segments. For some reason I felt compelled this year to watch a proper documentary on the subject all those years ago now and I'm glad I did. There are so many fascinating and deeply emotional stories from that day and this doc dives into several of them attentively. If you're looking to learn more about that fateful day through an apolitical lens then this six parter from NatGeo (available on Disney+) is a good place to start. Much respect to the first responders, especially our firefighters and paramedics.

At the time, there was a controversy about the title of the film The Two Towers. Much like the whole flat earther thing, many thought it was just a joke, but somehow there was a multitude of angry people who were legitimately offended by the title.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I watched a 2001: a Space Odyssey. Basically a film about an intelligent species observing humanity using monoliths from the time of Australopithecus humanity until the future (which was 1999 and 2001). Snapshotting the life of events of various people surrounding the monoliths with only the lightest touch of plot. Much like other Kubrick films, this one was a sleeper hit, having a very low perception at the beginning, and then becoming a major film later on - in fact, today it’s become an ever present reel at indie cinemas.

The story was developed and concurrently novelized by Arthur C Clarke. Those of you who are fans of the Xeno series might know Arthur C Clarke had a massive inspiration on Tetsuya Takahashi, and 2001 was one of those novels/films that influenced Xenogears, although Childhood’s End (by Clarke) was probably the biggest influence. One thing I noticed was a lot of the aesthetic of the 2001 film made it into Xenogears, not just the shapes of some of the technology, but also the different colours of various places.

————

The other film I watched was Avatar: Way of the Water for the first time on the small screen. Not much to say other than some thoughts that might be spoilers for those who haven’t watched it. But the non-spoiler version is that Jake and Neytiri had smaller roles in this film, and my thoughts are that they’re going to shift the role of the main character over to Kiri - I mean, you typically wouldn’t make a character based on that ancient story and not have them take over as the main character - that’s generally how it goes in film, novel franchises, and RPGs. Again, this film expands the universe of Pandora, its culture, and expands the theme of colonial period metaphor where humanity plays the role of the mercantile imperialists, and the Na’vi are the indigenous peoples.

The way the film plays out is that it feels less like the first of four sequels, but the first part of the sequel series. I suppose, another way to look at it is The Fellowship of the Rings isn’t so much the sequel to the Hobbit as it is the title of the first volume of the sequel story to The Hobbit. Or perhaps with Star Wars where the first film is a standalone, but Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi is more of a two-part sequel. Way of the Water can function as an independent story, but really the main purpose of it was establishing the new Na’vi demon-crossbreed heroes - and IMO, Jake Sully and Neytiri probably make it to avatar 3 or 4 before getting killed, as they are expendable now.

Another thing I’ll say with the small screen is they could have easily added a whole other hour to this already long film. There were some stories that had a lot of cuts and “leave this development up to your imagination” type shots, and while this works in the cinema, when I’m at home, and have the ability to stop and come back later, I’m definitely OK seeing that extra development unfold on the screen, and I don’t care about the hit to the pacing. Also, most theatrical blockbuster films releases focus on external conflict, the internal conflict stuff is what was cut down - not necessary for a theatrical cut, but would be a lot of fun to see in a directors cut (it’s why I like Peter Jackson’s The Two Towers better, and the Blade Runner directors cuts better, although those two films were more extreme examples where producers sacrificed character development for plot focus and pacing.). So yeah… give me the 4.5-5 hour director cut :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Watching Everybody Loves Raymond. Who here has had an in-law as nosey as Marie Baroe?

Since the last time I posted which was July 24th....I've finished the following

TV Shows
-N/A

Movies
-Jana Gana Mana (Prime Video)
-The Terminator 2 Judgment Day (Prime Video)
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 (D+)
-Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead (Netflix)
-Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio (Netflix)
-Maniyarayile Ashokan (Prime Video)
-Ralph Breaks the Internet (D+)
-Elemental (D+)
-The Little Mermaid (D+ - the live action)

Anime
-Black Clover Movie: Sword of the Wizard King (Hulu)
-Bungo Stray Dogs 2nd Season
-Bungo Stray Dogs 3rd Season
-Bungo Stray Dogs 4th Season
-Bungo Stray Dogs Movie: Dead Apple 
-Link Click 2nd Season
-My Happy Marriage (Netflix)
-Pokemon: The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon
-Pokemon Chronicles
-Pokemon: Pichu Bros. in Party Panic
-Pokemon Movie 10: The Rise of Darkrai
-The Girl Downstairs
-TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You - High School Days
-Wu Shan Wu Xing

I finished "My Happy Marriage" yesterday, really enjoyed it. Cant wait for Season 2.

Just finished Link Click Season 2 , loved it too, cant wait for season 3.

Right now anime wise I am watching....

Almost half of these will be finished in the next 2-3 weeks.

The Croods. The movie where Nicholas Cage redeemed himself.