By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Lots to catch up on.

Death on the Nile: I thought Branagh's remake of Orient Express was underrated, but this one was just passable. Beautiful visuals and a show stealing performance by Emma Mackey, though.

Peacemaker: More James Gunn goodness. John Cena's really come into his own as an actor and Vigilante was a pleasant surprise. Glad it's been picked up for another season with Gunn in full control.

Uncharted: Yet another mediocre game adaptation. The action isn't bad, not much to praise about the rest. Casting aside the whole ensemble has a weirdly confrontational relationship unlike the games at all. Hopefully they course correct in the expected sequel.

Vox Machina: Best of the bunch for me. Good fun with (appropriately) more actual tabletop DNA than any other fantasy show I can think of. Happy for these guys and looking forward to seeing more.

Last edited by TallSilhouette - on 01 March 2022

Around the Network

Jack Reacher

A competent enough film; the plot doesn't hold up to scrutiny but its gritty protag and all-business approach keep it entertaining.

Heat

An intelligent and gripping crime drama anchored by a strong lead duo and a sustained slow burn of underlying tension.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

The Batman: Boy does it feel good to have a quality Batman again! The casting, music, photography, direction, action, everything's on point. Loved seeing his detective side for a change, the neo noir inspirations, and Batman feeling like a force of nature again. Probably tied with Begins as my second favorite Batman film (TDK still #1). Can't wait to see what else this team has in store for us. The Bat is back, baby!

Turning Red: Pixar still isn't missing a beat. More gender specific than most family features but still plenty enjoyable for a guy like myself (especially having grown up at the peak of American boy band fever). The animation is expectedly beautiful and has some interesting anime inspirations I haven't really seen out of Disney/Pixar before. Would watch again.

TallSilhouette said:

The Batman: Boy does it feel good to have a quality Batman again! The casting, music, photography, direction, action, everything's on point. Loved seeing his detective side for a change, the neo noir inspirations, and Batman feeling like a force of nature again. Probably tied with Begins as my second favorite Batman film (TDK still #1). Can't wait to see what else this team has in store for us. The Bat is back, baby!

Turning Red: Pixar still isn't missing a beat. More gender specific than most family features but still plenty enjoyable for a guy like myself (especially having grown up at the peak of American boy band fever). The animation is expectedly beautiful and has some interesting anime inspirations I haven't really seen out of Disney/Pixar before. Would watch again.

I enjoyed The Batman as well and really liked the dark detective aspect of the movie; it felt a lot like the Arkham games and that's great. 

Turning Red is on my list to watch.

I finally had a chance to binge watch the Netflix adaptation of Cowboy Bebop.  Of course it doesn't beat the anime but it was entertaining enough for me. I think it could've gone for at least another season but too bad Netflix wasn't happy with the numbers.  The production didn't look too expensive so maybe Netflix can do a live action movie to wrap it up (it just sucks when shows don't have an ending).

I will be going to see Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie in theatres this weekend. 

A lot of updates since last post

Finished Log Horizon Destruction of the Round Table

Worst of the 3 seasons.

Watched "The Cat Returns" on HBO Max. Pleasant despite it being a low budget Studio Ghibli film.

Finished watching "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo" - have to say, this anime is like the Future Diary anime where there's not a single likeable character. Hated the entire cast lol

Also its one of those bland dark themed anime of the early 2000s.

To cleanse my palette of anime watching after hating the Count of Monte Cristo - I decided to watch Gal & Dino which was amazing (hoping for a sequel) - I'm not a big fan of comedy but this was well done - with its mixture of live action and animated scenes.

Also decided to watch Movie 2 and Movie 3 of My Hero Academia - loved them both.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Around the Network

But...there's been more.

Watched Disney/Pixar's new movie on D+

Turning Red - enjoyed it, they tried to capture the same magic as Coco but fell short imo. Like the anime style animations and a bit of it seemed like a ode to Sailor Moon. Better than Luca and Onward but I still found Soul to be the better recent Pixar movie.

Definitely better than Raya.

Also watched "Free Guy" on Disney Plus - it was okay for the most part, I still liked it. I still havent watched Deadpool 1 or 2 - so need to watch that next.

Basil's YouTube Channel

Finally got to see Dune Part One. Could have been more faithful with certain details, but I'm not too bothered by the creative changes. The important things-- general story, character portrayals, tone, visual style, sound/music etc. --were all pretty much perfect. Didn't feel as slow as I was preparing for either.

Unfortunate it still can't take off in the mainstream. I don't think it can be made much better at this point. Also wish it was 30mins longer so they could finish all the scenes pre-timeskip, then 3 years between filming would look perfectly natural.

TallSilhouette said:

Granted that I haven't seen The Batman yet. I'm still kinda lukewarm of Robert Pattinson taking the mantle for the caped crusader. He's too small and scrawny (imo) for Batman/Bruce Wayne and he looks like he's just has very limited emotion not too far from Christan Bales grouchy self in TKD. And after Ben Affleck's quite brilliant portrayal and actual good fight scenes this looks and sounds more like a grounded Batman from Christopher Nolan films and Joker (ew). A detective noir movie with Batman.. hmm I guess I'll wait for this to come out on Bluray or something. Good that you enjoyed it though!

I'm watching My Hero Acedemia. On Season 2 atm, and while not quite as good as S1 its still entertaining. Also finished Reacher which was pretty good.

Fool cooly

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Just came back from the Cinema to watch The Batman and man.. that movie was so boring and depressing. If they make another one of these type of movies hard pass. It was like watching a PG-13 movie based on Rorschach (from The Watchman) only without the dark comedic bits and a lot less interesting.

3 hours long of misery, meh action scenes, expositions and one dimensional characters.. and a weak emo Batman with not much emotional connection or chemistry between the cast. Urgh. Should have listened to my gut lol. 2/5

Last edited by hinch - on 26 March 2022