By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Saw Prey yesterday and surprisingly enjoyed it, and quite a lot. Have to admit wasn't hugely sold on the trailer but the movie was fairly entertaining overall. Granted I've not seen a Predator film in some time, never mind a good one.. this one is easily one of the better ones. There's some call backs and fun Easter eggs in there for fans, but not so much it takes away from it in a cringe kinda way. The CGI was a bit jank but serviceable though the action scenes were pretty well done and fun to watch. There were some bits I wasn't a fan of but I won't spoil..

Worth a watch for sure and recommended for people on the fence and like the old films.

Last edited by hinch - on 07 August 2022

Around the Network

I'm on season 4 of The sinner. Bill Pullman is a good actor.

zippy said:

I'm on season 4 of The sinner. Bill Pullman is a good actor.

Yeah, that show took me by surprise, it's really good!

Currently, I'm watching Banshee, which I slept on for years. I started it to see more of Antony Starr after seeing The Boys, but it's an amazing show in its own right. Gonna rewatch Gomorrah soon since the next season is likely coming in Q1 2023. Rewatching GoT with a guy who never saw, which is cool. We watched "Hardhome" today and he was at the edge of his seat.

Garden of Words

Beautiful film, both visually and narratively. Exquisite sense of place and atmosphere, and a moving character study.

Part of my girlfriend's quest to convert me to anime haha.

hinch said:

Saw Prey yesterday and surprisingly enjoyed it, and quite a lot. Have to admit wasn't hugely sold on the trailer but the movie was fairly entertaining overall. Granted I've not seen a Predator film in some time, never mind a good one.. this one is easily one of the better ones. There's some call backs and fun Easter eggs in there for fans, but not so much it takes away from it in a cringe kinda way. The CGI was a bit jank but serviceable though the action scenes were pretty well done and fun to watch. There were some bits I wasn't a fan of but I won't spoil..

Worth a watch for sure and recommended for people on the fence and like the old films.

TBH I think the movie is almost better than the original. I think a Director's cut could potentially add some more scenes and fix up some of the small things to get it over the line.

Better story theme than juiced up US army guys with overpowered guns.

The Easter eggs were great and even replicated a scene from the original that was cut for the DVD releases because the twats at fox thought it was too much and removed it to downgrade the original Predator to an MA rating from an R.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
hinch said:

TBH I think the movie is almost better than the original. I think a Director's cut could potentially add some more scenes and fix up some of the small things to get it over the line.

Better story theme than juiced up US army guys with overpowered guns.

The Easter eggs were great and even replicated a scene from the original that was cut for the DVD releases because the twats at fox thought it was too much and removed it to downgrade the original Predator to an MA rating from an R.

Nahhh.. nowhere close. People are getting a bit too over board over recency bias hype. Come back and watch the original again and this and then compare them. Imo Predator 2 is a step down from P1 and this follows after that. It was good, but not that great of a movie.

The original was a classic. From the cast to the main character, memorable lines (yeah it was an 80's flick), perfect pacing and action. And the ending fight was sublime. This movie started good but the second half a bit shaky with

Spoiler!
a largely underwhelming conclusion, the main actress was a little dull, the predator a bit naff as were the special effects.

I mean at least the first had a lot of real actors and stunt men in it, and special effects. Prey onoh was a CGI fest with a very unrealistic things in it. One main thing was the small Native American teenager fighting toe to toe against a 7+ foot behemoth that can throw a full sized man feet into the air with ease and go hand to hand

Spoiler!
with a grisly bear.

They could have gotten a more athletic looking person who actually looks like she can fight and not a scrawny looking 20 year old. This also again, follows closely from the other movies, and borrows too much from the older movies and doesn't really have that much of an identity of itself.

Spoiler!
It largely the first film replicated in an another time with some fan service thrown in there.

It was a entertaining watch though, with that said..

Besides, there are different species of Predators if we're going by lore. The original Jungle Predator has a laser cannon so he was probably a lot more experienced in hunting and if we go by P2, that one had a lot of trophies.

Spoiler!
This one was fresh off the pad and hunting whatever he could find that was worthy of a kill.   
Last edited by hinch - on 08 August 2022

Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045: GitS is one of my all time favorite franchises with the original Stand Alone Complex tied with the original film as my favorite entries. The first season of this sequel series was pretty underwhelming, especially in its initial form. Almost everything is a big step down from the original from the writing to the music to the visuals. Things got a bit better when the iconic voice cast of the English dub returned and the second season rolled out. Season 2 is a noticeable notch above the first in most respects, losing some of the silliness and resembling SAC a bit more. Then the ending throws you for a vague and incoherent loop and I have some pretty mixed feelings about it. In all it was nice to say hello again to my favorite versions of some beloved characters but that's about it. After some pretty mixed entries I hope this franchise can find its groove again.

Bullet Train: Fun action film in the vein of other 'killer's brawl' movies like Smokin' Aces, though I was only moderately entertained. Pitt gives an endearing performance as a reluctant, almost pacifistic killer and most of the cast are pretty charming. Not sure I'd watch again, though.

Prey: You know when a trailer sneaks up on you and it looks good and you hope it's good and it actually turns out good despite the odds? This was Prey for me and it feels pretty good, man. Easily the best entry since the first - not that that's a high bar to clear. Bit sad that the best sequel of the bunch is the one that doesn't get a theatrical release.

Your Name

Wanted to see more from Makoto Shinkai, and was not disappointed. Wonderful film, and I'm not usually one for romances so it takes a lot for one to win me over.

I was shocked to read that the director considers it unfinished and not good enough, when its one of the best anime films I have seen.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 10 August 2022

Pacific Rim

Still a fantastic love letter to the kaiju/sentai genre, paying homage to its long and storied history while propelling it into the modern age. 

Its a crime this wasn't nominated for best effects in 2013, it still looks incredible today, nearly a decade later.

The Sandman: Uneven, but when it hits it hits. The casting, performances, and sets are excellent. Some story lines are utterly fascinating but others not so much. The first half of the season in particular is great but it loses steam toward the end. I hope this show gets a long and healthy run and I'll definitely read the source material at some point.

Thirteen Lives: Good survival movie that really gives you an appreciation for just how crazy a rescue operation Tham Luang was. The solution to finally get the kids out was jaw dropping.