By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS is ten years old!

Get your pitchforks ready, I really didn't like the 3DS.

I bought one in 2015 cos it was the only place I could play Monster Hunter 4 and MH3 was one of my favourite games of the 7th gen. It was my first portable system, and the whole time I was playing, all I could think of was how much I'd rather be playing it on a console. From the tiny, ugly low res screen, to how uncomfortable it was to hold, to the horrendous excuse for a second analogue stick/nub, it was just an unpleasant experience, regardless of whether some of the games themselves were good on their own merits.

To this day it is the only system I regret buying.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I bought one in 2015 cos it was the only place I could play Monster Hunter 4 and MH3 was one of my favourite games of the 7th gen. It was my first portable system, and the whole time I was playing, all I could think of was how much I'd rather be playing it on a console. From the tiny, ugly low res screen, to how uncomfortable it was to hold, to the horrendous excuse for a second analogue stick/nub, it was just an unpleasant experience, regardless of whether some of the games themselves were good on their own merits.

Well in hindsight Monster Hunter was done a huge disservice by being on the 3DS. MHW added too many QoL improvements for me to go back to Tri, or the 3DS games. So I understand where you are coming from.

curl-6 said:

The Ganados want to know your location.

curl-6 said:

I think part of the appeal of 3DS is being in an urban or semi-urban area at a certain time in history (mostly the first 3 years or so of release). That Street Pass stuff was extremely cool, but I think it was outdone by Pokémon Go.

But Nintendo handhelds often have design flaws.
The original 3DS is one of Nintendo’s most stupidly designed handhelds though. The bottom screen bit into the top one and left permanent lines across it. Second, it’s a handheld, so much of the time you’d be playing it is during commutes, and that means the 3D functionality on the original was near pointless. But at least you could turn 3D off for those cases, the original GBA tops the weird angle 3D in that you needed just the right angle and intensity of light, or some kind of light-add modification to play.

Also, Monster Hunter is loads of fun with the right group. But only local multiplayer. Like Mario Kart, online multiplayer is a really hollow experience compared to local; even if you have the same group with a voice chat hook-up, it just misses the same energy. Playing Monster Hunter as a single player game is pretty boring.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I still play the system to this very day.