By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS is ten years old!

I started out with the 2DS in early 2014, then eventually upgraded to the New 3DS XL when it came out in February alongside Majora's Mask 3D. Got that, along with Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I'll always have very fond memories with the 3DS. A lot of long nights and hours went into that little thing during my early college years. It's where I got back into Pokemon and got introduced to many franchises such as Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Kid Icarus, and Kingdom Hearts. It's also the game where I would play get my 2D Zelda fix with the Oracle games, the original Link's Awakening, and my favorite 2D Zelda game, A Link Between Worlds.

Easily my favorite dedicated handheld system... And sadly from the looks of it, the last of its kind.

Happy Birthday and Godspeed, old friend.

Around the Network

One of if not my #1 favorite game console of all time. I've always liked handhelds a fair bit, they're much easier to pick up and play, even if I do still enjoy playing games on the home console as well. I got my 3DS launch day (granted it was March here in NA) and although the price cut happened and there was barely anything to play at launch, I still think it was worth it. The 3D effect was cool, and I genuinely still love it and use it whenever it's available on 3DS games. I know most aren't a fan of the feature, but I really think it adds so much to the visuals for many of the games on the system. Also it was nice to get the ambassador games due to the price cut.

Some of my favorite games: The incredibly (and criminally) underrated Code Name S.T.E.A.M., and Ever Oasis, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pushmo/Stretchmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, A Link Between Worlds, and WarioWare Gold. Still missing a fair amount of games from my 3DS collection and am working on that. There's a lot of JRPGs I missed since this was really a system chock full of them.

I have one, but never bought too many games for it in truth. Part of the reason I got it was because my DS stopped working, and it'd allow me to carry on playing things like Hotel Dusk, Last Window and the three Castlevania games.

That said, I sunk a fair few hours into Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, Yoshi's New Island, A Link Between Worlds and Ocarina of Time, so I got some good mileage out of it.

Never understood the hate this console got over a feature that you could just turn off in one second 

IcaroRibeiro said:

Never understood the hate this console got over a feature that you could just turn off in one second 

Not to mention you could get the console without that feature for a much cheaper price

Around the Network
Zero_Revolution said:

Some of my favorite games: The incredibly (and criminally) underrated Code Name S.T.E.A.M., and Ever Oasis, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pushmo/Stretchmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, A Link Between Worlds, and WarioWare Gold. Still missing a fair amount of games from my 3DS collection and am working on that. There's a lot of JRPGs I missed since this was really a system chock full of them.

There are so many amazing games on the 3DS it's insane. My only fear is that some of them might never leave the console because they were never popular (Codename STEAM), have a reliance on dual screen gameplay (Kid Icarus Uprising), or rely on 3D too much (Mario 3D Land and the Kirby games). Luckily with Miitopia coming to Switch, it seems Nintendo may be looking to port some 3DS games to Switch and future consoles which makes me happy. The last thing I want is for these games to live and die only on 3DS as some of them deserve another life on different platforms.

PAOerfulone said:

Easily my favorite dedicated handheld system... And sadly from the looks of it, the last of its kind.

That's such a sad feeling to me as someone who grew up always having a GBA or DS in my pocket, but at least dedicated handhelds went out with a bang with 3DS.

Poliwrathlord said:
Zero_Revolution said:

There are so many amazing games on the 3DS it's insane. My only fear is that some of them might never leave the console because they were never popular (Codename STEAM), have a reliance on dual screen gameplay (Kid Icarus Uprising), or rely on 3D too much (Mario 3D Land and the Kirby games). Luckily with Miitopia coming to Switch, it seems Nintendo may be looking to port some 3DS games to Switch and future consoles which makes me happy. The last thing I want is for these games to live and die only on 3DS as some of them deserve another life on different platforms.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is certainly least likely since it was wildly unsuccessful despite how fantastic it is. It's really a shame, because it does deserve another chance at life alongside some other 3DS games that weren't given a fair shot. (Like Kid Icarus as you mentioned since many were turned off by the control scheme, and also post-2016 3DS games that bombed because of the Switch like Ever Oasis or Dead Heat Breakers)

I bought the 3ds day one for 249€, for the first years and especially after the price cut I regretted buying it. but with coming years more and more great games came out. later I found a good deal for the 3ds xl and managed to sell the old one for a good price. then after 2ds xl release I bought a used new 3ds xl with dual ips screen for 80€ in top condition. to this point I already was very satisfied with all 3ds and ds games. enter the homebrew scene. omg the endless possibilities which came with it. playing gba games almost natively, running natively 240p resolution of old cosoles paired with the 3ds screen which had scanlines on it. it became the ultimate handheld, I still use it more than the switch. now there is even psx and n64 emulator (both still run pretty bad).

Oh boy, I love the 3DS so much. Such an amazing library, so much fun.

I love the 3D feature and use it as often as possible, even for games that don't really need it but it still just feels so much more immersive to me. I know I am in a minority but I was actually even happy with Metroid Federation Force. Luckily we still got Metroid Samus Returns, so the hardcore fanbase has a reason to be happy as well.

And then of course there are the obvious hits like Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 2, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot, Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash Bros, Animal Crossing New Leaf, etc etc etc etc. Next to all these outstanding marvels are so many awesome rpgs and srpgs like all three Fire Emblems, which I loved so much, all the Pokemons, the Yokai-Watchs, the Dragon Quests, the Shin Megami Tenseis, and last but not least Bravely Default and Bravely Second, which I am currently playing and enjoying a lot.