By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS is ten years old!

The 3DS launched February 26th, 2011 and since it's the 26th in a good portion of the world now I thought I would make a thread about its tenth birthday.

So... happy birthday 3DS! I have loved this console for ten years now and wanted to know what are some of your guys' favorite memories with the handheld.

Even though I didn't get it until November of 2011, my favorite memory is definitely when I picked it up (I got the Flame Red color) and turned it on for the first time and seeing the stereoscopic 3D boot up screen. I played Super Mario 3D Land all Thanksgiving break of my 6th grade year and it still remains my favorite game on the system.

Please share your favorite games and memories with this now ten year old system. I know Nintendo has moved on to much greener pastures with the Switch, but I still love the 3DS so much and plan to keep on playing it for many more years to come!

Around the Network

Despite all the eye-pain, I have to say that little 3d slider with no glasses was pretty amazing. 3D Land and Kid Icarus Uprising on 3d mode were truly impressive!

Time flies. What a great system it was.
A Link Between Worlds is my favorite, Luigi's Mansion 2 my second favorite and 3D Land my third favorite 3DS game. I also love OoT 3D and MM 3D and NSMB2 is also great.
Never had a Wii U, so I also had Hyrule Warriors Legends and Super Mario Maker for 3DS. Triforce Heroes was alot of fun imo. That's pretty much my entire humble physical 3DS library. I got the Oracle games, Link's Awakening DX and Super Mario Land on the virtual console. Awesome games too.
I really love my OG 3DS and my recently bought New 2DS XL.

I never liked the 3D because it made my eyes hurt, but apart from that I have a ton of great memories with my 3DS.

Face Raiders was really fun too btw.

I was seven when it came out, oh how time flies. The 3DS introduced me to a lot of great franchises, like Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and many other JRPGs. I must've gotten it in 2013, around when Pokemon X came out. I did have a DS, though since I was rather young I had few games to actually play on it, so the 3DS was really my first handheld console. I remember playing it during car rides to Georgia, the battery lasted to about the halfway point, which is typically when we stopped so it could charge up. Playing with one of my friends in sixth grade, battling Pokemon and Smash, racing in Mario Kart, and working together in Triforce Heroes. The 3DS was one of the consoles that defined my childhood, sure the 3D might've been bad at times, but the games were so much fun.

I bought a 2DS back in 2017 instead of using the money to upgrade my PC.

I have no regrets.

Around the Network
badskywalker said:

I was seven when it came out, oh how time flies. The 3DS introduced me to a lot of great franchises, like Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, and many other JRPGs. I must've gotten it in 2013, around when Pokemon X came out. I did have a DS, though since I was rather young I had few games to actually play on it, so the 3DS was really my first handheld console. I remember playing it during car rides to Georgia, the battery lasted to about the halfway point, which is typically when we stopped so it could charge up. Playing with one of my friends in sixth grade, battling Pokemon and Smash, racing in Mario Kart, and working together in Triforce Heroes. The 3DS was one of the consoles that defined my childhood, sure the 3D might've been bad at times, but the games were so much fun.

The social aspect is one thing I missed out on with 3DS when compared to DS. I played a lot of friends in Mario Kart 7 in 2012, but by the time Smash, Sun & Moon, and Triforce Heroes came out we were all in high school and everyone pretty much moved on to cells phones by them. Glad you got to experience it tho!

Poliwrathlord said:
badskywalker said:

The social aspect is one thing I missed out on with 3DS when compared to DS. I played a lot of friends in Mario Kart 7 in 2012, but by the time Smash, Sun & Moon, and Triforce Heroes came out we were all in high school and everyone pretty much moved on to cells phones by them. Glad you got to experience it tho!

Well I'm in high school now, and before the pandemic it was pretty common to see people around the school playing Super Smash Bros Ultimate against each other, I even held some tournaments with like 10 people or so. The social aspects of the 3DS and Switch is probably why I enjoy them so much. I'm sorry you missed out on the social aspects of those platforms.

When we went on a trip to NASA in houston, I brought my switch along, and we played it all the way down there, all night, and all the way back. We went between Smash, Mario Kart, and had a few goes at Arms. (This was a school trip, in case you didn't figure)

Now the best I can do is get a friend or two to come over to play video games, which while nice isn't quite the same as just playing during lunch or free time during whatever class I'm in. PC gaming with friends, while I thoroughly enjoy, isn't the quite same. Hopefully everyone will go back full time next year, as I will be a senior then.

Poliwrathlord said:

So... happy birthday 3DS! I have loved this console for ten years now and wanted to know what are some of your guys' favorite memories with the handheld.

The better games, on it.

Which is basically.... stuff like Pushmo/crashmo/stretchmo, SMT 4 + Apocaplyse, SMT Strange Journey, Devil Summoner 1&2, Persona Q + Q2, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology,  FireEmblem (Awakening,Fates), YoKai Watch 1,2,3, Stella Glow, Super Mario 3D Land.

I know pokemon sells alot of 3ds, but I never really got the appeal of them.
The games (I listed) above though, are quality.

The worst Nintendo handheld I ever owned. Preferred the Vita. Sure I liked some games on 3DS. Just It never had enough to keep me interested in playing it. Vita did. Still have both.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Awesome!

I bought mine, the aqua-blue launch model, right after Ocarina of Time 3D released, before the big pricecut. So I’ll have mine 10 years come July. One the best handhelds, maybe even the best, I played with and definitely the best system of the 8th Gen. Many great games, and I loved the 3D effect. Used it all the time, and it actually made me better at jumping gaps in games. Though worse when I played on regular ‘2D’ screens funnily enough. The effect was great on many games, but best on Luigi’s Mansion 2.