By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think the 6th Generation was the only time each console release was more powerful than the last

KLXVER said:

Didnt that happen in the 8th as well. First WiiU, then XB1 and then PS4?

I think XB1 released 1 week after PS4, rather than 1 week before, but I might be mistaken. Plus some consider Switch to be a 2nd Nntendo 8th gen console rather than a 9th gen console.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Manlytears said:

hum... you see, isn't this the case of current gen.? and also last gen? i mean:

8th gen: Wii U, than X1 and PS4.
9th gen: Switch, than Series X and PS5

Is Switch 9th gen though? I don't think so.

It's the successor of a 8th gen home console and a 8th gen handheld console.

Why shouldn't it be counted as 9th gen?

Conina said:
Kakadu18 said:

Is Switch 9th gen though? I don't think so.

It's the successor of a 8th gen home console and a 8th gen handheld console.

Why shouldn't it be counted as 9th gen?

Well, the sensible argument that can be made against Switch being 9th gen is that the generational count is wrong to begin with. The notable 3rd gen consoles Atari 5200, Colecovision and Intellivision have been lumped together with generation 2 consoles due to their glaring lack of success. The Atari 5200 was the successor to the Atari 2600, launched about five years later. So logically, the Atari 5200 and its competitors should be 3rd gen which then in turn increases the count for every generation afterwards. NES is 4th gen, SNES is 5th gen etc.

Consequently, Switch is actually 10th gen along with the PS5 and XSX|S. But I don't think the gaming community - who came up with this categorization in the first place - is willing to rectify this mistake.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

PC Engine 1987
Mega Drive 1988
Super Famicom 1990

Also "More powerful" is too broad. Dreamcast did a lot of things better than PS2. PS2 had more Polygonal drawing power but worse in many other aspects. Gamecube did some things better than Xbox.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 February 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Numeric Gens are meaningless now. People try to compare power but not processor's language, efficiency, etc. Like ARm vs x86 processors.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

PC Engine 1987
Mega Drive 1988
Super Famicom 1990

Also "More powerful" is too broad. Dreamcast did a lot of things better than PS2. PS2 had more Polygonal drawing power but worse in many other aspects. Gamecube did some things better than Xbox.

Neo Geo was more powerful than Super Famicom/SNES, and launched a little earlier I think. And CD-i was the most powerful, and launched last of what I've mentioned.

The sixth generation didn't really have any home consoles besides the four I mentioned, whereas the fourth generation had more than just the three mainstream consoles.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 125 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million)

PS5: 105 million Xbox Series S/X: 60 million

PS4: 122 mil (was 100 then 130 million) Xbox One: 50 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Manlytears said:

I thought it was concluded that Series X is more powerful than PS5, but PS5 has faster load times?

Wman1996 said:
Leynos said:

PC Engine 1987
Mega Drive 1988
Super Famicom 1990

Neo Geo was more powerful than Super Famicom/SNES, and launched a little earlier I think. And CD-i was the most powerful, and launched last of what I've mentioned.

The sixth generation didn't really have any home consoles besides the four I mentioned, whereas the fourth generation had more than just the three mainstream consoles.

Neo-Geo was not competition. It was a literal arcade in a box that cost $700 and games were $250. Mercedes does not compete with Honda and Toyota. It was an enthusiast machine for the wealthy.If Neo Geo counts against SNES then NUON counts against 6th gen. Released post-Dreamcast and less powerful. Nuon had a built-in DVD player before PS2. How about the Xavix in 2004. The console Wii ripped off in motion controls and motion-controlled sports games,it was barely more powerful than any 16bit machine.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 February 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

As mentioned already, Saturn-PS1-N64.

Saturn did some things better than PS1, notably 2D, but PS1 had the edge in 3D graphics, and N64 then topped that with newer features like texture filtering, anti-aliasing, and perspective correct textures.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Manlytears said:

Series X is a stronger console than PS5.  Comparisons have been all over, but the trend now seems to be where PS5 was ahead in early comparisons, XSX has had the edge in more recent comparisons.

Given that, all you have to go off of is paper specs, which the XSX in undoubtedly ahead.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261