By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct League (Results in! K98632 current Champion)

Nintendo Direct League

Information – For every announced-ahead-of-time Nintendo direct, participants can predict as many guesses about specific games and hardware as they wish. For every guess you get right you get +10 points, for every guess you get wrong you receive -2 points, for guesses that are partially correct you will get +5 points, for guesses about what won't appear they will be +2 points (if I deem the guess is a troll one to collect points I will disregard). Participants wishing to play it safe have that option, but the only way to truly get ahead of the pack is to take risks that pay off. Because it is harder to get something right than wrong, you you can receive 5 times the amount of points for getting something right as you could lose by getting something wrong (+10 points vs. -2 points).

Specific – Meaning specific games, dlc, character, and hardware. Predictions don’t have to have a title, but if someone were to say “RPG set in the Tony Hawk universe” that will count. If you say, "new smash character" that won't count. If you say "Paper Mario" or something like "Another variation of Mario" or "a character from Banjo Tooie" as a smash character that will count. Don't be generic and be as specific as needed. You will NOT be penalized for giving the wrong date or title. Predictions that include details we already know will not count.

If you make 1 prediction per direct, then you can only go up 10 points or down 2 points. If you have 40 predictions per direct, you could go up 400 points or down 80 points in the standings, depending onw how you do. Leaderboards will be updated as soon as I’m able after each direct. If you made predictions in other threads, please help me by pasting them in this thread.

If you choose to make an "or" prediction, such as "smash 7 or Mario Odyssey 5", then if one of them happens you will receive 5 points. If both happen you receive 10 points. If you want to make the full 20 points possible from them, then you must break the "or".

All Time Leaderboard

1. K98632 + 37
  2. Poliwrathlord +35
  3. Abronn627 +31
  4. PAOerfulone +27
  5. xMetroid +18
  6. Darwinianevolution +12
  7. The_Liquid_Laser + 11
  8. AnmolRed +8
  9. Poliwrathlord +6
  10. VideoGameAccountant +3
  11. Mnementh +3
  12. GoOnKid +-0
  13. Peachbuggy -1
  14. Drbunnig -2
  15. JWeinCom: -4
  16. Doctor_MG -4
  17. TruckOSaurus -4
  18. Freebs2 -8
  19. rapsuperstar31 -11
  20. Dulfite -14
  21. FromDK -16
  22. Bofferbrauer -17.5
  23. FloatingWaffles -18
  24. Shaunodon -18
  25. Mar1217 - 22

Current Nintendo Direct Leaderboard from 2/17/21:

1. K98632 + 37
  2. Poliwrathlord +35
  3. Abronn627 +31
  4. PAOerfulone +27
  5. xMetroid +18
  6. Darwinianevolution +12
  7. The_Liquid_Laser + 11
  8. AnmolRed +8
  9. Poliwrathlord +6
  10. VideoGameAccountant +3
  11. Mnementh +3
  12. GoOnKid +-0
  13. Peachbuggy -1
  14. Drbunnig -2
  15. JWeinCom: -4
  16. Doctor_MG -4
  17. TruckOSaurus -4
  18. Freebs2 -8
  19. rapsuperstar31 -11
  20. Dulfite -14
  21. FromDK -16
  22. Bofferbrauer -17.5
  23. FloatingWaffles -18
  24. Shaunodon -18
  25. Mar1217 - 22

Hall of Fame (all current and past Champions)

2/17/21 Nintendo Direct Announcements - (if I am missing any please inform me):

2/17/21 Direct

Actual announcements:

• Pyra/Mythra coming to Smash Ultimate in March.
  • Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout coming Summer 2021.
  • Outer wilds port coming _____
  • Famicom Detective Club coming to NA Switch ports (2 games) May 14.
  • Samurai Warriors 5 coming this perrushsummer.
  • Legend of Mana coming June 24th.
  • Monster Hunter Rise new trailer, coming March 26. New controller/system shown.
  • MarioGold Superrush coming June 25th.
  • Tales from the Borderlands March 24th.
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium coming TODAY.
  • Stubbs the Zombie coming March 16th.
  • No More Heroes coming August 27th.
  • Neon White coming winter 2021.
  • DC Super Hero Girls Teen Power June 4th.
  • Plants vs. Zombies Battle for Neighborhood Complete Edition March 19th.
  • Miitopia port coming May 21.
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons Super Mario DLC items coming February 25th.
  • Project Triangle Strategy coming 2022 (demo after presentation).
  • Star Wars Hunter coming 2021.
  • Knockout City coming May 21.
  • World’s End Club coming May 28.
  • Hades physical release (including pc download code of soundtrack, character compendium). Coming March 19th.
  • Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection coming June 10th.
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity dlc coming.
  • Bravely Default coming February 26th. New trailer following presentation.
  • Ghosts N’ Goblins preorders available.
  • SaGa Frontier remastered coming April 15th.
  • Apex Legends coming March 9th.
  • The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD coming with motion controls and button ones. Coming July 16th. New joycons for the game.
  • Splatoon 3 coming 2022.

Link to google document I awarded points for entry submissions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15kCx94tdmWwgd7IsruiikoCHtJMoHqLAqZ95To1hmZg/edit?usp=sharing
^^^ This link will be where you can see why you received certain points. Go here if you have questions about your^^^

Last edited by Dulfite - on 18 February 2021

Around the Network

I'd suggest changing the scoring method. The odds are MUCH higher of getting a guess wrong as opposed to right, so fewer guesses seem better in this, and it kind of ruins the fun of trying to guess anything too far from obvious. I'd suggest just giving people points for being right, and limiting the number of guesses to prevent people from throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

But that's just my opinion. I'll just throw up my guesses cause why not.

1. N64 games for Nintendo Online- They're adding such obscure games that they need something for this service.
2. Wii Sports Adventure- Similar to ring fit by focused on Sports titles.
3. Nintenpets- I figure they will try to revive one of their big DS/Wii era titles, so that's kind of an alternate guess.
4. Crash for Smash- Honestly would not be thrilled about this, but hard to think of another name.
5. Great Ace Attorney localization- Seems clear this is happening, the only question is whether or not it would be announced for a direct. Since this has been a Nintendo-centric franchise, it'd make sense.
6. Skyward Sword Remake- Something has to be done for Zelda. BOTW 2 would not come out in the first half of the year. It seems more likely that a remake would come out before July. They've remade pretty much every 3D game, so this makes the most sense, especially since Skyward Sword used motion plus which the Switch can replicate pretty effectively.
7. Mario and Rabbids 2- Ubisoft has been doing some things that would indicate this is coming. And, it's hard to see why not. Game was a big success, and there's no reason for them not to cash in. This seems big enough to be the first half of the year's "big" title, but not big enough that it'd be a holiday release.
8. Metroid Prime 4- I think they'll show one thing that's coming out in the future as their "one more thing". Either BOTW 2, Bayonetta 3, or Prime 4. Just going to guess Prime 4.

JWeinCom said:

I'd suggest changing the scoring method. The odds are MUCH higher of getting a guess wrong as opposed to right, so fewer guesses seem better in this, and it kind of ruins the fun of trying to guess anything too far from obvious. I'd suggest just giving people points for being right, and limiting the number of guesses to prevent people from throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

Either that, or simply rebalancing the points, like 3 for a correct guess, 1 for a partial guess and -1 for being dead wrong

Now with that out of the way, here's my list:

1. Bayonetta 3 Trailer and release window
  2. A new Advance Wars title
  3. Great Ace Attorney western release date. Speaking of which:
  4. Phoenix Wright as the next Smash character
  5. Ring Fit Adventure getting an expansion
  6. Mother 1+2/Earthbound+Earthbound Beginnings coming to the Switch in a bundle outside of the Switch online, releasing after the video
  7. A Zelda collection for the 35 years of the franchise, similar to the one with Mario last year
  8. Shin Megami Tensei V gets a release date
  9. Third party trailers: Rune Factory 5, Monster Hunter Rise, Story of Seasons, Persona 5 Strikers.
  10. New Switch package with expanded internal memory or pack-in game instead of a pricecut.
  11. New F-Zero title
Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 February 2021

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JWeinCom said:

Either that, or simply rebalancing the points, like 3 for a correct guess, 1 for a partial guess and -1 for being dead wrong

6. Mother 1+2/Earthbound+Earthbound Beginnings coming to the Switch in a bundle outside of the Switch online, releasing after the video
  7. A Zelda collection for the 35 years of the franchise, similar to the one with Mario last year
  9. Third party trailers: Rune Factory 5, Monster Hunter Rise, Story of Seasons, Persona 5 Strikers.
  10. New Switch package with expanded internal memory or pack-in game instead of a pricecut.

As much as I love Phoenix Wright I am fully against Phoenix Wright in Smash.

He's really not suited to fighting games, except for the role of a novelty character, where the whole point is that he's amusingly out of place. And, we already got him playing that role in MvC3, so we don't need it again. 

JWeinCom said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

He's really not suited to fighting games, except for the role of a novelty character, where the whole point is that he's amusingly out of place. And, we already got him playing that role in MvC3, so we don't need it again. 

Yeah, I was expecting more or less a copy of his MvC3 moveset for Smash.

And he's by far not the only one not suited for a fighting game and feeling out of place. Duck-Hunt Dog and Piranha Plant were bigger shockers in that regard than Phoenix Wright ever could be now.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah, I was expecting more or less a copy of his MvC3 moveset for Smash.

And he's by far not the only one not suited for a fighting game and feeling out of place. Duck-Hunt Dog and Piranha Plant were bigger shockers in that regard than Phoenix Wright ever could be now.

Duck Hunt Dog I think is warranted just on the basis of his importance to Nintendo history. I think the Zapper was a big part of the NES, and DHD represents pretty much all of the light gun games.

Piranha plant is more apt. There's nothing wrong with having out of place characters in a game like Smash, but we already have a few, and we already have Phoenix who was done really well in UMVC3. So, it's hard to get too excited to play as him here. 

Okay, per suggestions I'm changing the amount you can lose per wrong pick to -2 instead of -10. Does that seem fair?

I predict the following will get a mention in the next Direct.

Sequel to BotW
Bayonetta 3
a new Tomodachi game
Pokemon Snap
Bravely Default 2
Monster Hunter Rise
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Rune Factory 5
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town
A port of some Rockstar game

Alright, here it goes:

-Zelda Anniversary Collection OR N64 games added to Nintendo Online (with OoT being the big one presented).
-Breath of the Wild 2 release date and new trailer.
-Switch Pro announced, not a significant Pro model as the PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, or even New 3DS.
-New Character for Smash (Doom guy or Chief)
-Ace attorney collection
-Tales from the Borderlands
-Cloud based Resident Evil Village
-Closes off with Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 trailer

Dulfite said:

Okay, per suggestions I'm changing the amount you can lose per wrong pick to -2 instead of -10. Does that seem fair?

Yeah, -2 seems fair. Making an accurate prediction is WAY harder than making a prediction that wont happen. If you guess that FZero FX or something is announced and it is, that shouldn't be taken away because you also guess Zelda collection was coming and it wasn't.