By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 24-30 - PS5 Sales Top 5 Million

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Another thing that could help Sony compared to MS is the higher number of SoC per wafer, as it chose to use in its SoC a significantly smaller GPU running at higher frequency.

How would any outsider know? Yes, the die size is smaller by roughly 16%. However, the dies run at very high frequencies so not every "electrically good" die that comes off the back end of the line might make it eventually.

The fact that there are no reports of dies blowing up in PS5s would indicate that additional die tests are performed with possibly some small % failing. Sony chose its production numbers and MS chose its production numbers. As to its sizes, only the two companies know the answers. Looking at curent numbers, both companies seem to be hampered by general semiconductor shortages due to Covid restrictions. This could be anywhere from SoC chips (unlikely) to ram chips (possible) to simple smd components like shunt resistors and capacitors (alsopossible). Also NVidia, AMD and bitcoins aren't helping, either.

In the end, the market gets what the companies get, and in these time these numbers are considerably lower than usual.

Around the Network
derpysquirtle64 said:
curl-6 said:

If both are sold out, why does Xbox Series have so much less supply than PS5?

Xbox One was selling at baseline of 40k consoles per week for the last two-three years. Increasing the production lines to be able to produce 200-300k consoles per week is extremely expensive and is not gonna achieve anything except getting consoles straight out to those people who are spreading set on buying it anyway. The second factor is the components. I don't think I need to explain that AMD provides more chips to Sony than to Microsoft because of the last gen consoles sales. And I think you don't even need to be a top industry analyst to come to the conclusion that the demand for PS5 is higher than for Xbox Series X|S.

I get that demand is obviously lower for Xbox, but with Series numbers this low yet the Series X at least apparently all sold out, it just seemed striking that the current numbers were all they could muster, unless they're not even trying to meet demand and just figuring they'll cruise on hardcore early adopters for the moment and make more consoles once they start getting some actual games out the door.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 February 2021

Both PS5 and Xbox are selling similar to PS4 and One because they are supply constrained, don't really see how that's surprising or anything. Daniel Ahmad already explained production got hit by Covid.

Elputoxd said:

Both PS5 and Xbox are selling similar to PS4 and One because they are supply constrained, don't really see how that's surprising or anything. Daniel Ahmad already explained production got hit by Covid.

Then how come Nintendo Switch is not supply constrained? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Elputoxd said:

Switch doesn't need the chips both PS5 and Xbox need and that are suffering shortages because production has been affected negatively by the pandemic: https://www.barrons.com/articles/chip-shortage-spells-trouble-from-cars-to-game-consoles-51612996675

So basically production of Switch can be higher.

Around the Network
Elputoxd said:
Jranation said:

Switch doesn't need the chips both PS5 and Xbox need and that are suffering shortages because production has been affected negatively by the pandemic: https://www.barrons.com/articles/chip-shortage-spells-trouble-from-cars-to-game-consoles-51612996675

So basically production of Switch can be higher.

Oh. So it is very similar to what the Switch experienced in 2017 but without the pandemic. Where some people claimed it to be artificial shortages. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Elputoxd said:

To an extent it is; apparently the base model is sold out in a lot of major stores in Japan recently.

Pretty awesome when you think about what's happening here, the Switch is coming across both as a very popular Nintendo Handheld and a Nintendo Console and it's got the sales of both combined into one unit, the added bonus of this popularity for the end user is that the system has all of the would be games from both those potential systems now pooling into that one ecosystem of incredibly happy gamers so the growth is exponential. Compare this to previous generations where someone would either buy a 3ds or a WiiU but always miss out on the potential that a good game would come to the other system, now you can buy the Switch with confidence that you'll have access to all of Nintendos library of titles as well as a handheld and home system for all your titles. As someone who would have previously bought both home and handheld systems this gen of Nintendo machine has meant tons more games for me on the one system to enjoy rather than a scattered library across 2 systems.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Dulfite said:
kirby007 said:

xbox is dead

I was going to post a lengthy response explaining that profits is all that matters and that Xbox division makes a lot more of that from PC Gamepass users than it would by forcing hardware sales of console by not having a Gamepass, but then I realized your Kirby and I am assuming you are just trolling?

It was going to be a great hypothetical debate, too!

theres no other way to look at it. Xbox is going to fall way behind

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Is there a chance PS5 could cross 200k next week?