By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 24-30 - PS5 Sales Top 5 Million

Dulfite said:
kirby007 said:

they released the best console in about 2 decades and its still selling like its horrible predecessor PRwise, dunno where you see this going but less than 30 million wouldn't suprise me

Ah so we are getting serious then? 

It's selling bad because, in part, a lot of people are going the pc gaming route due to Gamepass, therefore not purchasing Xboxes. This saves MS money by them not having to make and sell more xbox console for a loss and instead have gamers paying for and playing their games on PCs. Who cares that Xbox console sales are bad when they are becoming more popular and making more money because of it? The console sales are only bad because games are available on PC now. If Gamepass PC wasn't around then Xbox hardware sales would be higher but their profits would be flushed down the toilet.

The simple reality is the more gamers game on PC the more money MS makes and the less money MS loses on console hardware.

Yeah but Game Pass isn't profitable for now. Neither is the Xbox division.

Around the Network

The PS4 outdoing the Xbox Series in Europe

SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

Ah so we are getting serious then? 

It's selling bad because, in part, a lot of people are going the pc gaming route due to Gamepass, therefore not purchasing Xboxes. This saves MS money by them not having to make and sell more xbox console for a loss and instead have gamers paying for and playing their games on PCs. Who cares that Xbox console sales are bad when they are becoming more popular and making more money because of it? The console sales are only bad because games are available on PC now. If Gamepass PC wasn't around then Xbox hardware sales would be higher but their profits would be flushed down the toilet.

The simple reality is the more gamers game on PC the more money MS makes and the less money MS loses on console hardware.

All about the indirect profits. If having 18 million gamepass users means a certain % of them also bought new PC's (such as me, I bought a Razerblade 15 Advanced instead of a Series X, which is much more expensive), then they are making a lot more money. If those PC users got subscription to things like Office 365 (which I did), then they make even more money. When people go the PC gamepass route, there is a lot of indirect money made to MS for Windows licenses and other services that people don't think about.

Already February and the front page still not including the new consoles. What exactly are we waiting for an update?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Dulfite said:
SKMBlake said:

All about the indirect profits. If having 18 million gamepass users means a certain % of them also bought new PC's (such as me, I bought a Razerblade 15 Advanced instead of a Series X, which is much more expensive), then they are making a lot more money. If those PC users got subscription to things like Office 365 (which I did), then they make even more money. When people go the PC gamepass route, there is a lot of indirect money made to MS for Windows licenses and other services that people don't think about.

Well, yes, MS is the biggest company in the planet, and make huge amounts of profits on all their softwares, Surface stuff, business oriented stuff (most of their profits comes from business related sotfwares and solutions actually). But my point was about Game Pass and the Xbox division.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
Dulfite said:

Well, yes, MS is the biggest company in the planet, and make huge amounts of profits on all their softwares, Surface stuff, business oriented stuff (most of their profits comes from business related sotfwares and solutions actually). But my point was about Game Pass and the Xbox division.

And my point is that Gamepass is increasing revenues in their non-gaming divisions. You can't just judge Gamepass by the $ it makes directly, but also indirectly. There are more, potentially millions more, people on Office 365 or using Windows license BECAUSE of gamepass PC than there would be if gamepass PC didn't exist.

Switch outsold everything combined.....bruv???

mk7sx said:

Switch with the best VGC 4 week start to a year and best VGC January ever at 1,652K. Next best is NDS 09 at 1,610K and NDS 08 at 1,585K. NSW 2020 was at 1,319K.

And that is without any big software releases. Amazing! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
RolStoppable said:

Mainland Asia's gaming tastes aren't too different from Japan's. Or to be more precise, South Korea and southeast Asia, because the Middle East is a different beast in cultural terms.

That's why it's shortsighted when people write off Nintendo's dominance in Japan as something isolated to Japan, because what happens in Japan will likely spill over, now that Nintendo has bothered to have an increased presence outside of their typical main territories.

Well, if the rest of the Pacific Asian region likes Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventure as much as Japan does, then that would definitely explain why their hardware sales are so high.

Ring Fit usually dominates the Korean and Hong Kong charts. And Animal Crossing have good performance in Korea and ok in Hong Kong

The dominance in Japan, a big market, spread fire in East Asia. It's common in big markets. 

US spreads to UK, for Xbox, one example. 

France, one place where sells a lot manga, has a Nintendo dominance. 

Switch in Japan alone outsells Xbox Series worldwide.

Seems like it will take quite some time for the new generation to find its footing, and it's certainly not cutting into Switch's momentum as so many claimed it would.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 February 2021