By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Cyperpunk 2077 - Over Two Million Refunds

Reaction?

I am surprised it isn't more. 23 51.11%

I'm surprised it is this much! 12 26.67%

About what I expected. 10 22.22%

Total:45

Is this game a worse disaster than fallout 76, can it be considered the worst in history of gaming, or has there been more in the past?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
shikamaru317 said:

Maybe those 13 million+ people (13m was just in the first 10 days, it has sold millions more since then) legit enjoy the game? I know I sure enjoy it on my Series X, best game I played in all of 2020. Why should people who enjoy the game refund it, just to stick it to the developer? They'll learn their lesson just from the backlash they already received I'm sure, bankrupting them won't teach them anything, it would just destroy one of the best developers in the whole industry. They already got the message that just because they're a beloved developer doesn't mean they can get away with murder, they know now that people will be alot less forgiving if they screw up a 2nd time. 

That you (and many others) can still call CDPR one of the best developers in the whole industry is the saddest part to me. I don't particularly want to see CDPR destroyed (they already did that to themselves when the real talent walked out after TW3 crunch and during infighting while making CP2077) but I don't like where the game industry hes been going.

This is the 2nd time btw, TW3 launch wasn't anything to write home about either. But it was their first full console release / simultaneous multi platform release. This time there is no excuse.

Simply put, it is a much better game than what other devs have made. People say the same thing for TW3, and it in fact won many GoTY awards. I would rather have 10 more CP2077s than 10 more Assassin's Creed.

Farsala said:

Simply put, it is a much better game than what other devs have made. People say the same thing for TW3, and it in fact won many GoTY awards. I would rather have 10 more CP2077s than 10 more Assassin's Creed.

And that describes perfectly what my 'problem' is. Constantly lowering the bar, comparing with things that are worse (subjectively, many people enjoy Assassin creed games as well) Why not aim for better.

Ka-pi96 said:

Solidarity for what? Because somebody else was disappointed by something I shouldn't like it either? Jog on with that ridiculousness.

What games I play depends on me and me alone, I couldn't care less what other people think and I'm certainly not going to avoid playing games that I like just because other people don't like them.

Ok, if you really have no problem with everything that happened around CPs development and you only care about your enjoyment, fair game.

@KratosLives Off the top of my head, Skyrim on PS3, DriveClub launch, No Man's sky launch, Halo MCC launch.

You could say MS Flight was a worse disaster as it was abandoned after 5 months. It worked, just not what people wanted, same with sim city 2013 although that had tons of problems at launch. Earlier Spore was not as promised and very limited. The trend is downwards though, CP2077 tops them all as the least polished, most under delivered and broken launch yet.

SvennoJ said:
Barozi said:

Pretty sure the last numbers we got were already excluding refunds so I doubt there need to be any adjustments.

Yep, that's what they said
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/22/22195728/cyberpunk-2077-sales-copies-sold-launch-refunds

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold more than 13 million copies, it accounts for some digital and physical refunds resulting from the game’s messy launch. That metric is counting sales between the game’s release on December 10th through December 20th.

Thanks to 13 million spineless gamers, nothing will change. 780 million revenue, that's a good scam.

I got the game on PS5 from the PS store like a day before they removed it.

Loved the game and got like 170 hours out it. Not spineless. Just had a ton of fun with it. The late January patch helped too. The only issue I had with the game was crashes and the patch knocked those down by alot.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

SvennoJ said:
Farsala said:

And that describes perfectly what my 'problem' is. Constantly lowering the bar, comparing with things that are worse (subjectively, many people enjoy Assassin creed games as well) Why not aim for better.

With Cyberpunk and TW3, comparing to most games would be unfair since they were quite fantastic. Personally, I have never played TW3, but Cyberpunk is convincing me to give it a try.

Around the Network
bigjon said:
SvennoJ said:

Yep, that's what they said
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/22/22195728/cyberpunk-2077-sales-copies-sold-launch-refunds

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold more than 13 million copies, it accounts for some digital and physical refunds resulting from the game’s messy launch. That metric is counting sales between the game’s release on December 10th through December 20th.

Thanks to 13 million spineless gamers, nothing will change. 780 million revenue, that's a good scam.

Loved the game and got like 170 hours out it. Not spineless. Just had a ton of fun with it. The late January patch helped too. The only issue I had with the game was crashes and the patch knocked those down by alot.

170 hours, wow that’s a lot of spineless 

Apparently if the Internet mob hates something, then everyone should. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
bigjon said:

170 hours, wow that’s a lot of spineless 

Apparently if the Internet mob hates something, then everyone should. 

I am against both calling someone spineless for playing a game they like as well as calling people a mob if they have genuine grievances against the game or way the game was made.

Hate to admit I was one of them. Refunded my PS4 Version. Will be buying a PS5 version down the road.

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

KratosLives said:

Is this game a worse disaster than fallout 76, can it be considered the worst in history of gaming, or has there been more in the past?

I think Cyberpunk has been the biggest disappointment in gaming history, and likely the most costly mistake.  If we assume 2 million refunds is accurate, my guess is they have lost at least 4 million sales between those refunds, the bad press, and being pulled from the PS store and flagged on the XB store.  That is massive. 

Anyone that doesn't think CDPR is hurting from this..... I don't even know what to say.  They got their ass kicked here.  The launch has been an absolute disaster for them.  Certainly, every developer and publisher have learned a big lesson.  

Personally, I think the game is good, but it failed to live up to the sky high expectations (that CDPR set). I think they could have given us the amazing game they promised, had they just let it cook a while longer.  But, they gambled with their reputation, and they lost.  Bigtime.  The loss of goodwill that they've suffered is likely more valuable than the sales lost on this particular title.  It will take them years to get their reputation back. 

Deleted double post