Forums - Sales Discussion - Cyperpunk 2077 - Over Two Million Refunds

Reaction?

I am surprised it isn't more. 23 51.11%

I'm surprised it is this much! 12 26.67%

About what I expected. 10 22.22%

Total:45

That's a lot

Around the Network

Makes sense considering how the game launched, especially on consoles. Maybe by the end of the year, they will have it fixed but till then... Everyone that has been having a bad experience should get a refund.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

SvennoJ said:
Barozi said:

Pretty sure the last numbers we got were already excluding refunds so I doubt there need to be any adjustments.

Yep, that's what they said
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/22/22195728/cyberpunk-2077-sales-copies-sold-launch-refunds

Cyberpunk 2077 has sold more than 13 million copies, it accounts for some digital and physical refunds resulting from the game’s messy launch. That metric is counting sales between the game’s release on December 10th through December 20th.

Thanks to 13 million spineless gamers, nothing will change. 780 million revenue, that's a good scam.

Im part of the 13m. Love the game.

People who don't think this is a big deal for CDPR are lying to themselves. CDPR, like any company, has investors. If you were an investor for them, how would you feel about 2 million refunds? Reputation is everything to a company.

Machina said:
Ka-pi96 said:

So I'm "spineless" for not refunding a game that works fine for me?

Worked fine for me too, on PC. My biggest issues with the game weren't bugs, of which I only encountered a few, but more fundamental problems with the RPG systems and the open world gameplay/AI (where it's about 20 years behind Rockstar). I still enjoyed it though, especially the main storyline and the overall cyberpunk atmosphere.

Not quite sure why I'm expected to refund a game that worked fine and was mildly enjoyable, just because there's a bandwagon about the game being a disaster and a crusade against CD Projekt RED for suddenly supposedly being the shittiest company in the industry.

CD Projekt RED probably now wishes it hadn't bothered with the console versions and had just made it PC timed exclusive, with a next gen console version to have followed a year or so later. Would've avoided most of the headache and bad PR that way. Might even have meant some of the game's more fundamental gameplay issues were addressed.

Two million potentially refunded it (although a self-selecting community poll that's then extrapolated to cover known sales is not remotely reliable). That's fine - people disappointed should be and are entitled to get refunds. But maybe, just maybe, most of the 13 million+ that we know for a fact bought and didn't refund it actually quite liked the game.

It's just a matter of lowering the bar further and further, rewarding the shift from developing good games to marketing good ideas. As well as continuing to reward crunch culture, bad management, deceptive marketing and a corrupted review system. As it looks now, 13 million seem to find these acceptable standards for video game development.

A lot of those 13 million are waiting for the game to be finished or even playable. Refund takes effort, waiting costs nothing. CDPR still has enough faith left that people expect it to all be turned around soon.

Gamers, keeping scalpers and bad developer practices in business ;)

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:

People who don't think this is a big deal for CDPR are lying to themselves. CDPR, like any company, has investors. If you were an investor for them, how would you feel about 2 million refunds? Reputation is everything to a company.

At least they'll have plenty cash to defend themselves in the multiple lawsuits and investigation by the Polish government!

I see the success of Cyberpunk still bothers some lol

shikamaru317 said:

I'm not sure that you can trust a community poll for something like this, I'm guessing anyone can vote on it, including haters who didn't even buy the game to start with. But like Barozi said, the sales figure that CD Projekt already released excluded the refunds, so there is no need for sales adjustments, the game still sold over 13m copies in the first 10 days, by comparison it took their previous game, Witcher 3, about a year to hit 13m sales.

Thanks for pointing that out, it saves me the trouble of doing it myself.

There is no way to know how many refunds have been given unless CDP themselves say so, and a community poll plus extrapolation is in no way an accurate representation of the whole gaming community. And the best proof of that is our Most Wanted feature.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It's sad that so many people were content to keep the game but that's the market that has been fostered by years of unfinished games that get better later years after they've dropped in price.

shikamaru317 said:

Maybe those 13 million+ people (13m was just in the first 10 days, it has sold millions more since then) legit enjoy the game? I know I sure enjoy it on my Series X, best game I played in all of 2020. Why should people who enjoy the game refund it, just to stick it to the developer? They'll learn their lesson just from the backlash they already received I'm sure, bankrupting them won't teach them anything, it would just destroy one of the best developers in the whole industry. They already got the message that just because they're a beloved developer doesn't mean they can get away with murder, they know now that people will be alot less forgiving if they screw up a 2nd time. 

That you (and many others) can still call CDPR one of the best developers in the whole industry is the saddest part to me. I don't particularly want to see CDPR destroyed (they already did that to themselves when the real talent walked out after TW3 crunch and during infighting while making CP2077) but I don't like where the game industry hes been going.

This is the 2nd time btw, TW3 launch wasn't anything to write home about either. But it was their first full console release / simultaneous multi platform release. This time there is no excuse.