By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 17-23 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Rise

mk7sx said:

UK JAN 2021 Hardware

XBox Series #1 console.  Switch up 20% YoY, but ranking unknown.

I think once NPD comes in, Switch will have had the biggest global January in VGC history (NDS 09 1.61M).  360K this past week would get it there and that's with NPD trending around 350K or so.  If it comes in >400K instead it'll be an easy victory (and I think Europe is probably slightly undertracked this month as well).

supply contain and up YOY

Around the Network
mk7sx said:

UK JAN 2021 Hardware

I think once NPD comes in, Switch will have had the biggest global January in VGC history (NDS 09 1.61M).  360K this past week would get it there and that's with NPD trending around 350K or so.  If it comes in >400K instead it'll be an easy victory (and I think Europe is probably slightly undertracked this month as well).

Do we know what Switch sold last January in the UK?

jason1637 said:
mk7sx said:

UK JAN 2021 Hardware

Do we know what Switch sold last January in the UK?

Not sure.  Total 2020 sales hit 1.5-1.6M range so just carving out 4 weeks would be ~119K, but that doesn't account for holiday quarter boosts.  Maybe 80-100K for Jan 2020.

Kinda strange numbers, the Xbox SSX systems are having a closer battle with the PS4 than their intended rival and the Switch is capable of fighting off every other system combined, think if you went back to when Nintendo first showed off the Switch in that crazy video of people playing basketball with it and using it on planes I don't think anyone could have predicted how popular it would be and how much Nintendo got the vision of the future wrong... now it's illegal to play a sport with more than 2 people outside and there's a €500 fine for flying on a plane without a valid reason here.... but everyone is hiding in their homes... playing the Switch.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

So PS4 was at what, 114 million when PS5 came out? Even if it did sell as much post-replacement as PS3 that would mean 121.4 million lifetime.

Just beat the Gameboy .. nothing more

Still an impressive feat, that would make it the 3rd highest selling system of all time, at least for a couple of years until Switch (likely) catches up.

Around the Network

Could you imagine if someone made a thread saying 'Prediction: Nothing will outsell Game Boy anymore (except Nintendo consoles)', just before the PS4 launched? Wouldn't that be so embarrassing if the very next system to release broke that prediction. Imagine being so bold.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Still an impressive feat, that would make it the 3rd highest selling system of all time, at least for a couple of years until Switch (likely) catches up.

It will take a while, but I still see it topping the Game Boy. I don't think any of us were expecting just a huge drop off in PS4 shipments for the holidays. 

BTW Sony announced it's reducing the offer of PS4 to just one base slim model in Japan, cutting the wide range of models and colours available there long after Japanese sales numbers stopped justifying them, outside of Japan Sony official site still lists as available two Slim and one Pro model, plus any present and possible future bundle. Quite obviously Sony chose the three best selling models to be kept in production, and the two Slims just differ for HDD size and possibly accessories bundled, so they can share the same production lines almost until the end, where they can be fitted with the required HDD size and then sent to packaging where their respective external standard equipment can be added, but the hi-tech part of production remains the same. So if demand won't drop too much, Sony will be able to keep PS4 on offer as long as viable, while giving PS5 many former and underused PS4 lines.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-02-08-xbox-series-s-x-was-the-no-1-console-of-january-uk-monthly-gfk-charts

Over 150k consoles sold in January in the UK. Xbox Series at #1, Switch at #2 and its up 21% over last year and PS5 at #3 but its sales were close to the Switch.