By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 17-23 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Rise

Most weeks this year will probably be at least kinda similar to this one. The PS5 has now fallen behind the PS4 and with the latter yet to get its launch sales in Japan it'll stay behind for at least a while and the Xbox Series X|S is now slightly ahead of Xbox One and while it's very early the conventional wisdom that the PS5 will sell less than its predecessor and the Xbox Series X|S more already has a bit of weight behind it.

Last edited by Norion - on 03 February 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Norion said:

Most weeks this year will probably be at least kinda similar to this one. The PS5 has now fallen behind the PS4 and with the latter yet to get its launch sales in Japan it'll stay behind for at least a while and the Xbox Series X|S is now slightly ahead of Xbox One and while it's very early the conventional wisdom that the PS5 will sell less than its successor and the Xbox Series X|S more already has a bit of weight behind it.

PS5 and Xbox Series X|S are both actually behind their predecessors. At least when you align the worldwide launches and not individual countries. However, the difference is very tiny. 

I'll have articles comparing the worldwide launches of PS5 vs PS4 and Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One out in the next few days. They will be part of the weekly sales articles until we get more data points to turn them into monthly articles. I am thinking 4 months for that. 

Ah I was looking at weekly data and saw the Xbone was at 3.27 million at this point. I think the Xbox Series X|S will stay closer to its predecessor this year than the PS5 will though I won't be too surprised if that ends up not being the case and I look forward to seeing those articles.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

Ah I was looking at weekly data and saw the Xbone was at 3.27 million at this point. I think the Xbox Series X|S will stay closer to its predecessor this year than the PS5 will though I won't be too surprised if that ends up not being the case and I look forward to seeing those articles.

3.27 million for Xbox One is after 10 weeks. We have estimates of 3.33 million after 11 weeks, while Xbox Series X|S estimates at 3.28 million after 11 weeks.

Oh right the latter launched a bit earlier. I was comparing the 25th Jan 2014 week but now shouldn't make that mistake again lol. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Norion - on 03 February 2021

Switch > PS5 + PS4 + Xbox Series combined, and almost more than all other systems combined.

Even though it makes sense as it's been replaced, it still feels weird seeing PS4 so low after so many years.

NSW in USA is at 266.7K through 3 weeks - looks to be on pace for 340K for January.

Era average prediction right now for Jan NPD is 518K with 22 predictors (excluding myself at 400K). Well informed predictors, but also mostly not scientific of course.

Wonder if it'll truly land that high.

Around the Network
yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

Switch > PS5 + PS4 + Xbox Series combined, and almost more than all other systems combined.

Even though it makes sense as it's been replaced, it still feels weird seeing PS4 so low after so many years.

Yep .. sony is the one to blame .. how hard it is to make enough stock of this 7 years old console the last holiday season ?

and .. why the heck can't they make at least 50$ pricecut or at 100$, they would've moved at least 50% more consoles last year ..

I would guess that as they have a finite amount of manufacturing capacity, they decided it would be better used making PS5s than PS4s, to get their new system off to a strong start.

curl-6 said:

Yeah. PS4 still have many exclusives and third  party games released in 2020. Seems like Sony is not bothered to pushed it even more and just moved on to their newest child. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Impressive that it's the most successful launch ever considering the higher price of the disc model, the chip shortage, and the pandemic. PS4 obviously taking a hit from both angles, as people move on to PS5 and Sony shift PS4 production factories to PS5.

The Asian component for Switch continues to impress me. It is easily the largest component right now. Now I know the biggest chunk of it is Japan, about 110k, but I still see that 45k from the rest of Asia as a significant chunk. I would not have guessed a year ago that the rest of Asia would be selling this well. That 45k chunk ended up being about 13% of this week's Switch sales. That is turning into a significant weekly chunk.

I would love to see the rest of Asian broken down by % for just one week at the very least. Are those sales more than 50% China? Or is it a fairly even split between China, South Korea, and Taiwan? Or are there other nations in there that I am not aware of with significant sales? I would love to have more info on all of that.

@trunkswd Will the Switch lifetime sales also be adjusted due to the Nintendo Quarter Sales?