By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Jan 17-23 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Rise

Switch just completely killing it^^ Amazing...

Around the Network

The 3DS sold 10 million units between the time the Switch came out to it's discontinuation. I don't think the PS4 will be able to do that, which is crazy to think about. Right now the PS4 has 1.4 million after PS5's release, and that was during the holiday season. For comparison the 3DS's holiday in 2017 the year the Switch came out it did 3 million.

curl-6 said:

Switch > PS5 + PS4 + Xbox Series combined, and almost more than all other systems combined.

Even though it makes sense as it's been replaced, it still feels weird seeing PS4 so low after so many years.

What goes up must eventually come down. However I think it does have a lot to do with production being phased out at a faster rate than what we are used to from Sony. 

OTBWY said:
curl-6 said:

Switch > PS5 + PS4 + Xbox Series combined, and almost more than all other systems combined.

Even though it makes sense as it's been replaced, it still feels weird seeing PS4 so low after so many years.

What goes up must eventually come down. However I think it does have a lot to do with production being phased out at a faster rate than what we are used to from Sony. 

True, PS4 is looking to have much shorter post-replacement legs than the likes of PS1 or PS2.

I'm curious as to how it's sales post-PS5 will compare to PS3's sales post-PS4.

PS5 and XS up, but we'll need to observe a couple of months after holidays and make a weekly average over them to be able to give a rough estimate of their sustained initial production capacity.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

True, PS4 is looking to have much shorter post-replacement legs than the likes of PS1 or PS2.

Based on the PS4's shipments during this past holiday quarter, it's already a lock for being the PS console with the worst post-successor sales.

As far as I can tell, PS3 hit 80 million sold in November 2013, and sold 87.4 million as of March 2017, so about 7.4 million post-replacement.

Norion said:

Most weeks this year will probably be at least kinda similar to this one. The PS5 has now fallen behind the PS4 and with the latter yet to get its launch sales in Japan it'll stay behind for at least a while and the Xbox Series X|S is now slightly ahead of Xbox One and while it's very early the conventional wisdom that the PS5 will sell less than its predecessor and the Xbox Series X|S more already has a bit of weight behind it.

I dunno if you can take much from PS5 trailing since it is selling everything they put out.  When supply catches up to demand we can make a fair assessment.  Any trailing can be attributed to Covid rn

I am Iron Man

Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Norion said:

Most weeks this year will probably be at least kinda similar to this one. The PS5 has now fallen behind the PS4 and with the latter yet to get its launch sales in Japan it'll stay behind for at least a while and the Xbox Series X|S is now slightly ahead of Xbox One and while it's very early the conventional wisdom that the PS5 will sell less than its predecessor and the Xbox Series X|S more already has a bit of weight behind it.

I dunno if you can take much from PS5 trailing since it is selling everything they put out.  When supply catches up to demand we can make a fair assessment.  Any trailing can be attributed to Covid rn

For PS5 being behind even if supply picks up it'll take some time to catch up due to the lead the PS4 will get by the end of February. I do think it could catch up this year but doubt it would before at least a few months had passed. I agree a full proper assessment can't be made but unless the stock situation improves unexpectedly fast there's a decent picture for the first half of this year.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Based on the PS4's shipments during this past holiday quarter, it's already a lock for being the PS console with the worst post-successor sales.

So PS4 was at what, 114 million when PS5 came out? Even if it did sell as much post-replacement as PS3 that would mean 121.4 million lifetime.

UK JAN 2021 Hardware

XBox Series #1 console.  Switch up 20% YoY, but ranking unknown.

I think once NPD comes in, Switch will have had the biggest global January in VGC history (NDS 09 1.61M).  360K this past week would get it there and that's with NPD trending around 350K or so.  If it comes in >400K instead it'll be an easy victory (and I think Europe is probably slightly undertracked this month as well).