By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales figures update, (To 31st Dec 2020) Switch 79.87m

Leynos said:

So is the nINtEnDo sHOuLd MAkE a rEaL cOnSoLe finally over?

Never, neither will the cliff

Around the Network
Agente42 said:
PAOerfulone said:

"Coming out of the fourth holiday season, global cumulative sell-through has now surpassed 74 million units.
(Internal estimates, including Asia, Latin America, and other regions, as of the 4th week of December 2020)"

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210201_3e.pdf

Over 74 million units sold as of the 4th week of December.

That is...

Soul-crushingly disappointing.

Unless I'm missing something, that means it still hasn't outsold the 3DS and it is way, way, WAY over-tracked.

surpass, 

I get that, but that would mean there's an almost 6 million Switch and Switch Lite SKUs in shelves or in-transit by the end of December. Even by the Switch's standards, that's ridiculous. That would mean that the badly overshipped it during the holiday season. If it were 76 or 77 million, and a gap of 3-4 million after the holidays, I would understand. But almost 6? Unless there are any specific regions they're withholding from the data, that would explain such a large discrepancy, then I would get it. But by their own words, this is their entire global cumulative sell-through. And just over 74 million? VGChartz currently has it tracked at just under 77 million. If it was over 76 or just under 77 million, why didn't they just say so? 

PAOerfulone said:
Agente42 said:

surpass, 

I get that, but that would mean there's an almost 6 million Switch and Switch Lite SKUs in shelves or in-transit by the end of December. Even by the Switch's standards, that's ridiculous. That would mean that the badly overshipped it during the holiday season. If it were 76 or 77 million, and a gap of 3-4 million after the holidays, I would understand. But almost 6? Unless there are any specific regions they're withholding from the data, that would explain such a large discrepancy, then I would get it. But by their own words, this is their entire global cumulative sell-through. And just over 74 million? VGChartz currently has it tracked at just under 77 million. If it was over 76 or just under 77 million, why didn't they just say so? 

Maybe they only have accurate data for only over 74 million and cannot guarantee to have sold more than that to customers, which would be false information told to investors.

nintendo's 'global sell through' estimates have always been very conservative. its obvious that there is no where near that many consoles on shelves/in transit - there are still widespread stock issues in nearly all regions lmao

Overall, 6 20 million sellers is huge, and Animal Crossing is about to beat Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
PAOerfulone said:

Maybe they only have accurate data for only over 74 million and cannot guarantee to have sold more than that to customers, which would be false information told to investors.

6 M on shelves is surreal, man

January have supply problems in US, partial Europe and Asia. How the possible is this? 

Only full available is lite. And the shipping is 3,1M

LimaBean01 said:

nintendo's 'global sell through' estimates have always been very conservative. its obvious that there is no where near that many consoles on shelves/in transit - there are still widespread stock issues in nearly all regions lmao

Yeah, my local stores are all out of stock and looking on sites like nowinstock.com it shows that the Switch is completely out of stock for most retailers. I think it's safe to say that they are significantly over the 74M mark. I'd be willing to bet VGChartz tracking is more close to reality than not. 

PAOerfulone said:

"Coming out of the fourth holiday season, global cumulative sell-through has now surpassed 74 million units.
(Internal estimates, including Asia, Latin America, and other regions, as of the 4th week of December 2020)"

That is...

Unless I'm missing something, that means it still hasn't outsold the 3DS and it is way, way, WAY over-tracked.

The general consensus last quarter was that they lowballed their estimate for sell-through (it was only 63 million then). If it was true then, it's probably true now (but of course it's hard to know for absolutely sure whether it is true). Those numbers still put their sales in this last quarter at 11 mil though, so that part at least seems believable and are certainly nothing to scuff at.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
PAOerfulone said:

That is...

The general consensus last quarter was that they lowballed their estimate for sell-through (it was only 63 million then). If it was true then, it's probably true now (but of course it's hard to know for absolutely sure whether it is true). Those numbers still put their sales in this last quarter at 11 mil though, so that part at least seems believable and are certainly nothing to scuff at.

The second quarter is worst-case scenario: pandemic, and all SKU is missing in America, Europa and Japan.

PAOerfulone said:

That is...

Nearly 6m in transit or on shelves? That's quite a bit, even if they underestimate it 3m would be a lot.

Anyone calculate the profit yet? How does it compare to last year and other companies?