By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To prepare for RE Village, I will play through the entire Resident Evil franchise in chronological order (Current game: RE0)

Fresh off my Gears play through and before that my Halo play through, I'm going to play through another huge franchise that I have not played much of... Resident Evil.

Like anyone else who was gaming during the PSone era, I remember what a huge hit Resident Evil was and how it created or revitalized the survival horror genre. A slew of clones followed but none except maybe Dino Crisis really seemed to hold up. Even Silent Hill, which is a fan favorite, is not actually all that big or successful a franchise. Nothing like Resident Evil, which has at least eight, soon to be nine mainline entries, and plenty of spin offs and side games.

I will be playing through the franchise in the order of the timeline, which is as follows:

RE0 - I have never played this game before.
RE - I own the remastered version from Xbox One. I almost beat this on PSone.
RE3 - I own the RE3 remake and have put hundreds of hours into RE Resistance, the MP game included with RE3. I played maybe half of RE3 on PSone and less of the remake.
RE2 - I will be playing the remake. RE2 is the only RE game I have ever finished, I beat it on PSone or N64, don't remember which.
RE3 - Part of RE3 takes place before RE2, the rest of the game takes place after.
Code Veronica - I owned this on Dreamcast, and the opening was amazing, but I was too busy with Quake and Unreal to finish it.
RE4 - I played through a lot of this game but never finished it.
Revelations - This game is set between 4 and 5.
Lost in Nightmare - RE5 DLC that happens before RE5.
RE5 - I did play a little of this.
Desperate Escape - RE5 DLC that happens after RE5.
Revelations 2 - Set between 5 and 6.
RE6 - I have heard this games story is insane and requires multiple play throughs. I will play through once and YouTube the rest.
Umbrella Corps - Is this even a campaign? Never heard of this. You can buy $2 Steam keys online.
RE7 - Heard great things, never played it.

To be honest idk why I haven't played more of the series, I enjoyed it on PSone. I think what soured me back then was the constant loading and backtracking, which took forever with the loading. I remember in MGS to backtrack you even had to swap discs. How does the RE1 remaster handle loading? Are there still door sequences everywhere? Wish me luck.

Around the Network

One of my favorite series of all time. My favorite game of all time is Resident Evil 4!.
My ranking from the games Ive played would probably be:

RE4
RE Code Veronica
Resident Evil VII
Resident Evil 5
REmake
Resident Evil 3 (PSone)
Resident Evil 2 (PSone)

Havent played Zero, 6, and the original Resident Evil 1 on PS1.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Will be interested to see your opinion on REmake. I finished it for the first time last month and it's now my favorite game. Replayed it immediately after on hard as Chris. Very great game but I don't think it's for everyone.

I myself am looking to play the rest of the games sometime before REVIII, though I don't know if I'll finish them in time. I'm not in a rush really.

Ah, have fun with that! I replayed RE0 myself last year. The early games in the series with the tank controls and heavy emphasis on puzzle solving are all very good games. 4, 5 and 6 are more action games but still good nontheless. How's your impression of RE0 so far?

All of them in a row? You might hate the franchise after that.

Around the Network

I've been making my way through the franchise myself at my own pace. Played 4 (great), 5 (meh), and 0 (goodish), want to get through the 1-3 remakes and 7 before playing 8.

Best of luck. Be sure to persevere through 0, as it can be slow going at times. That stretch from 1-4 is god tier gaming.

If you have the PSVR play VII that way. It's a good game played on the tv, but it's an amazing game in vr. 4, 2, 1, Veronica and 7 in vr are my favorites in the series.

There's not much to prep for when you're playing as a non main character from the original Resi series. Play Resi 1, bam, you've gotten to know Chris Redfield.

With the way 8 is written, what theme it's going for an it's scenic setting, you'll hardly need much if any specific knowledge of past Resi games.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

shikamaru317 said:

I hope they put more games in the series onto Gamepass soon, there are several I would like to play.

Are some on GamePass?