By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1173 Greatest Games, as of 2020

Tanks for the hard work @mZuzek

That is truely amazing what you didi here. I't very interesting to see the results.

I would have never imagined TLOZ: A Link Between Worlds was all-time top 30 material. The 3DS is the only main Nintendo console I don't have, I might get it to enrich my little collection and play this game. Metroid Samus Returns seems worth it too. I'm in deperate need of Metroid...

Last edited by Supermario28 - on 26 January 2021

Around the Network

This is fun to look at. Big thanks for all your work @mZuzek !

About half the list of mobile games is present in my top 50 list. A bit ashamed by that haha. Granted that most of them is games I played on other systems as well and got on mobile for the convenience. 

The Zelda series stand strong. It is such a juggernaut in the industry. Still have two games in the top 30 to play.

LimaBean01 said:
mZuzek said:

On a personal level, I was really disappointed with all the people listing Ori and the Blind Forest but not Will of the Wisps. But when I compiled the results and saw that Blind Forest made it into the top 100 (and well into it, too), that just made me really happy. Hopefully we'll get both of them in next year.

I'm one of those people who have blind forest but not will of the wisps in their list, i only just played the former this November. i bought will of the wisps for Christmas but haven't had time to finish it yet, so it'll most likely make my list next year!!

Mnementh said:

I see three factors here at work. For once, most users on VGC are younger. Even for me as one of the older users, I really started gaming in the 90s, so I played 80s games years after their release. The second point is, that gaming developed since the 80s. That is not only on a technological level, but developers also learned a lot about structure, motivation and other stuff over the years. So older games can seem dated. And the third thing: the industry wasn't as big back then. Which resulted in way less games released than today.

For me personally, I consider some 80s games, namely Indiana Jones (which made my list 2017), NetHack (which also made my list 2017), Arkanoid, Blockout, Battle Chess and Populous. But that is a much smaller list than the games from later decades to begin with and they just don't make it in the end.

as someone born in the third millennium, i have to say a lot of 80's games are just super difficult to get into when you've been raised on more modern software... only a couple of the GOATs really stand the test of time imo, like SM64 and Super Metroid. i only really got into gaming in like around the wii u era, so the vast majority of my list is between 2015 and 2020 - it's likely similar for other young members.

Damn, now I feel old. Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid are games of the 90s, not 80s. Games of the 80s are mostly NES games, standouts are Mega Man 1-6, Battletoads, Super Mario Bros 1-3, Contra, The Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, Metroid, Punch-Out!!.

Signature goes here!

Thanks again for the effort you put into this mZuzek, its much appreciated. I havent had much time to check it until this morning. 

Im happy with the results, dont really see much change in the top spots compared to last year but thats expected, still happy to see several of my favorites make the Top50. And this time Suikoden II did make the top100, even if it is just the #99 spot. More people should play that game, dammit is so good.
Also, the guy that said Hollow Knight is too high on the list is on drugs and should be ignored. Complete nonesense.

I think we all knew what games where going to be at the top. But we had some good ones make it to the top 100 this year.

#99: Suikoden II it's nice to see this in the top 100. In my opinion this is one of the most underrated games ever so it's incredible that it got a spot in the top 100.

#96: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time. Nice to have a Ratchet and Clank game in the top 100 and my favorite one too.

#41: Final Fantasy XII. Never realised how high this got. Good to see to see some love for FFXII.

Around the Network

Decent list, not surprising with the top 10 however i am shocked to see Half Life 2 sitting so low on the list.

Also very said to see one of my all time favourites in Homeworld not make the top 100. 

Dulfite said:
KratosLives said:

Not many people played dragon quest in the usa, which is a shame. That game should be ahead of botw.

By next year I will have played a ton! I failed to submit a list in time this year, but I have completed DQ 11 and 1 so far and rated them both very highly. Playing 2 right now with the intention of 3 bring next. I have 7 on 3ds but never beat it. Any ideas where I can play 4-6 and 8-10?

I have only played 8 and 11. 8 was on ps2, one of the most highly regarded games and my was my fav jrpg. 11 on ps4, my fav jrpg and one of the best games ever made.

Gotta go back and read this entire thread when I get a moment. You worked too hard on this one and we appreciate it.

I already checked and liked this thread before, but the titanic effort required to make the whole event deserves at least an appreciation comment too, so here it is.

(Yeah, it's not much in comparison, but nothing would be.)

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Too many Nintendo games, not enough Capcom