By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese Nintedo eShop download sales Ranking 2020

Metallox said:

Another surprise is NBA 2K20. I mean, I would've bet more on FIFA. Maybe it got heavily discounted throughout the year.

Yes it did. It was around 95% off at some point before NBA 2k21 was out.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Botw top 10 in japan after all this time is insane knowing the franchise was never huge there.

xMetroid said:

Botw top 10 in japan after all this time is insane knowing the franchise was never huge there.

Never huge in Japan?

On Famicom, The Hyrule Fantasy (1986) sold 1.69 million units and The Adventure of Link (1987) did 1.61m, then A Link to the Past (1991) on Super Famicom sold 1.16m and Ocarina of Time (1998) managed 1.46m on Nintendo 64, a system that sold only 5.54 million units. Other titles went close to 1m too, such as Majora's Mask (2000) at ~900k, The Wind Waker (2002) at ~850k and Phantom Hourglass (2007) at ~900k.

As of September 2020, Breath of the Wild (2017) on Nintendo Switch sold 2.23m LTD and adding the Wii U version gets it to around 2.4m, the title is heading for 3-3.5m combined lifetime in Japan. Of course, doubling the previous best in the series is massive. However, it's doing far more than that in the West. Ocarina of Time sold 6.14m outside Japan and Twilight Princess did 8m on GameCube + Wii. As of September 2020, Breath of the Wild shipped 19m on Wii U + Switch overseas and is heading for around 30m lifetime, which will be close to 4 times the previous best and 5 times what OoT did. If Zelda was consistently lacking anywhere before BotW it's in the EMEAA region. The only title that could be considered somewhat of a disappointment in Japan compared to the rest of the world is Twilight Princess but with the art style and atmosphere it was going for that was to be expected.

I mean, the domestic sales figures shown above can't belong to a series that was supposedly "never huge" in Japan.

Surprised to see Human: Fall Flat so high and Minecraft so low.

Also, congrats to Sakuna for such a great result.

How is this Battle Cats game so high???

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Dude, how can you even question that? Battles? Cats? The perfect mix.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I don't think Human Fall Flat has a physical release, but Minecraft does. That probably reduces downloads.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]