By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2020 Discussion Thread

Well I forgot switch was within 2 million, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Around the Network

Can I make a request? I know you've been comparing Switch launch to Xbox Series X/S and PS5. Do you think in the upcoming months you could make a X1 vs Series X/S and PS5 vs PS4?

Also, I would love to see how the Switch compares to Xbox 360's US.

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

What Rol said. PS4 has no chance of catching the Xbox 360 in the US. 

and now sony makes pricecut to 199$ on the PS4, confirms all new exclusives will be on the PS4 as well for the next full 2 years, and makes promo bundles, and 99$ in 2023, and in 2024 PS4 reaches the 360 sales in the US. just dreaming ..

In your dreamworld, Sony intentionally guts PS5 sales to arbitrarily boost the PS4's lifetime sales total?

trunkswd said:
Doctor_MG said:

Can I make a request? I know you've been comparing Switch launch to Xbox Series X/S and PS5. Do you think in the upcoming months you could make a X1 vs Series X/S and PS5 vs PS4?

Also, I would love to see how the Switch compares to Xbox 360's US.

I do plan on adding PS5 vs PS4 and Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One launch aligned charts for the monthly series, and at some point make the Switch vs PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S weekly series into a monthly series. 

Anyone want me to do PS5 vs PS4 and Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One articles for the first 2 months even though there would only be 2 data points? 

Seems kinda redundant with so few months. I'd wait till Feb/March data is available at least, then you can see a trend in the graph.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - Switch Takes the Lead in December 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

I guess this proves it, Japan IS games.

Switch is behind Wii in US by maybe 3m, it might catch up by the end of this year if it repeats this year.
in Europe it's behind by maybe 3.5m, even if it repeats this years success it will still take until mid 2022 to catch I think.

In "other" markets the Switch has just passed Wii's lifetime total, not sure how much of a lead it has launch aligned but a lot of this success is just due to being available in those regions.

Japan though is mindblowing, I'm guessing it must be a 7-8 million lead launch aligned? (which makes the "other" region lead about 3-4m I suppose)

Around the Network

I wonder if the Switch will build a good enough lead on the Wii so that it doesn't fall behind when the Wii's last strong holiday passes.

Signature goes here!

yo33331 said:

and now sony makes pricecut to 199$ on the PS4, confirms all new exclusives will be on the PS4 as well for the next full 2 years, and makes promo bundles, and 99$ in 2023, and in 2024 PS4 reaches the 360 sales in the US. just dreaming ..

The PS4 would need 12M in the NA to match what the 360 did. In all honesty, I doubt the PS4 is going to do 12M more total, let alone in NA. The PS1 and PS2 are outliers at this point. I'm honestly guessing 5-8M more units total for the PS4. 

yo33331 said:
Mandalore76 said:

In your dreamworld, Sony intentionally guts PS5 sales to arbitrarily boost the PS4's lifetime sales total?

So according to you sony did the same thing with PS1 and PS2 ?

Strange.. I think PS2 did very very well in the years after it launched, despite having PS1 for around 99$ back then.

I don't recall Sony struggling to produce enough PS2's to ship in it's launch year.  You are completely missing the point that to focus on pushing PS4 sales at this moment in time would take resources away from manufacturing PS5's at a time when they are already having trouble manufacturing PS5's as it is. 

yo33331 said:
Mandalore76 said:

I don't recall Sony struggling to produce enough PS2's to ship in it's launch year.  You are completely missing the point that to focus on pushing PS4 sales at this moment in time would take resources away from manufacturing PS5's at a time when they are already having trouble manufacturing PS5's as it is. 

Sony is veteran in this game, and they can do it.. if they want to.. however obviously they don't ..

They have been through enough console generations and cases with low price and high price consoles at the same time to be able to maintain situation like this

It's not the year 2000 anymore.  The margins on hardware are razor thin.  The end of lifespan price cuts that you are longing for don't exist anymore, and haven't in over a decade.  There's no reason to push the old tech at dirt cheap prices, when the only people you will be bringing into the ecosystem will be buying years old software from the bargain bin, or worse yet for the manufacturer, used games.  Where there is little profit to be made, there is little incentive for a business to do it.

@trunkswd When are you going to post the 3DS vs NSW Japan graph?