By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts December 2020 Discussion Thread

Welcome everyone to the VGChartz Gap Charts December 2020 Discussion Thread. This thread is a place for everyone to discuss the latest VGChartz Gap Charts articles for the month of December 2020. Everyone is welcome to post Gap Charts articles I haven't done so yet.  You can view the ones currently posted here

Previous months:

You can read the complete first article and analysis here:

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Global Lifetime Sales - December 2020

Welcome to the latest edition of the ‘Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Worldwide’ article. This series compares the monthly and lifetime retail sales of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

Looking at the total sales of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch through December 2020 shows how the Switch has been consistently gaining on the lifetime PS4 sales since the middle of 2019. The PS4 is ahead of the Switch by 37.8 million units and the Xbox One by 65.4 million units. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox One by 27.6 million

The PS4 is 3.86 million units away from outselling the Game Boy, which sold 118.69 million units lifetime. The Switch has outsold the 3DS, which has sold 75.82 million units to date. The Xbox One has outsold the SNES, which sold 49.10 million units lifetime.

The Switch passed the 76 million mark. The PS4 has sold 114.83 million units lifetime, the Switch 76.99 million units, and the Xbox One 49.44 million units.

Looking at the marketshare, the PlayStation 4 currently leads. The PlayStation 4 has a 47.6 percent market share, the Switch sits at 31.9 percent, and the Xbox One at 20.5 percent.

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 114,831,374

Switch Total Sales: 76,989,289

Xbox One Total Sales: 49,435,144

During the month of December 2020, the Switch outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.27 million units for the month and the Xbox One by 5.63 million units. The PlayStation 4 outsold the Xbox One by 359,140 units.

When you compare monthly sales to a year ago, the Switch is up, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are down. The Nintendo Switch is up 994,992 units (19.8%), the PlayStation 4 is down 1.37 million units (-64.4%) and the Xbox One is down 895,359 units (-69.3%).

Looking at the marketshare, the Switch managed to achieve 84.0 percent of the monthly sales. The PlayStation 4 accounted for 10.5 percent of the consoles sold, and the Xbox One 5.5 percent.

PlayStation 4 Monthly Sales: 755,816

Switch Monthly Sales: 6,028,658

Xbox One Monthly Sales: 396,676

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013, while the Switch launched three years and four months later in March 2017.

As a reminder, VGChartz tracks consoles sold to consumers and not units shipped.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

I'll ask again, where did the PS3 and 360 vs PS4 and XB1 went ? and also PS4 vs XB360 in US

yo33331 said:

I'll ask again, where did the PS3 and 360 vs PS4 and XB1 went ? and also PS4 vs XB360 in US

PS3 + 360 vs. PS4 + XB1 was posted last month.

PS4 vs. 360 in the USA was likely ditched because the PS4 stands no chance anymore.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

RolStoppable said:
yo33331 said:

PS4 vs. 360 in the USA was likely ditched because the PS4 stands no chance anymore.

What Rol said. PS4 has no chance of catching the Xbox 360 in the US. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

and now sony makes pricecut to 199$ on the PS4, confirms all new exclusives will be on the PS4 as well for the next full 2 years, and makes promo bundles, and 99$ in 2023, and in 2024 PS4 reaches the 360 sales in the US. just dreaming ..

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - Switch Takes the Lead in December 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 5,425,402 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,824,826 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,512,172 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 76,989,289

Wii Total Sales: 72,477,117

December 2020 is the 46th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 5.43 million units and gained the lead when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 7.82 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.51 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 46th month for the Nintendo Switch is December 2020 and for the Wii it is August 2010. The Switch has sold 76.99 million units, while the Wii sold 72.48 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 50.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 24.64 million units to outsell the Wii.

Well I forgot switch was within 2 million, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Can I make a request? I know you've been comparing Switch launch to Xbox Series X/S and PS5. Do you think in the upcoming months you could make a X1 vs Series X/S and PS5 vs PS4?

Also, I would love to see how the Switch compares to Xbox 360's US.

yo33331 said:
trunkswd said:

and now sony makes pricecut to 199$ on the PS4, confirms all new exclusives will be on the PS4 as well for the next full 2 years, and makes promo bundles, and 99$ in 2023, and in 2024 PS4 reaches the 360 sales in the US. just dreaming ..

In your dreamworld, Sony intentionally guts PS5 sales to arbitrarily boost the PS4's lifetime sales total?

Doctor_MG said:

Can I make a request? I know you've been comparing Switch launch to Xbox Series X/S and PS5. Do you think in the upcoming months you could make a X1 vs Series X/S and PS5 vs PS4?

Also, I would love to see how the Switch compares to Xbox 360's US.

I do plan on adding PS5 vs PS4 and Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One launch aligned charts for the monthly series, and at some point make the Switch vs PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S weekly series into a monthly series. 

Anyone want me to do PS5 vs PS4 and Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox One articles for the first 2 months even though there would only be 2 data points?