By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Doom Eternal on Switch

SKMBlake said:
Pemalite said:

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, but it's also an absolute achievement in porting to the Switch with this level of fidelity.

He said that as an answer of all the people on Twitter blaming him for the "free-pass" the Switch apparently have regarding tech features, where they can be harsh on other platforms.

And that's pretty sad cause people are trolls and don't deserve to get any answer to their nonsense.

And still those same people will post "lol Switch is garbage" in the comments. I mean, what's the point ?

I mean, it's the "worst" version of the game if you're talking about graphics and performance, but not if you want to play handheld or love gyro aiming.

The comments sections in these DF reviews of Switch reviews are always full of people saying "lol shit graphics what's the point of this port" and completely missing the point of why a dev would want to bring a game to a mobile platform. 

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Cobretti2 said:

well that sucks hard. Hopefully they decide to change their mind, Already have it on PC but would love a physical release on Switch

A physical was planned for Switch. You could pre-order any retail store but a month or 2 before release they canceled all of them. A physical is never going to happen at this point. The game looks great tho on reg consoles and get a physical there.

I already have it on PC, why would I get it on a regular console? 

I want to get it for the portable factor.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

He said that as an answer of all the people on Twitter blaming him for the "free-pass" the Switch apparently have regarding tech features, where they can be harsh on other platforms.

And that's pretty sad cause people are trolls and don't deserve to get any answer to their nonsense.

And still those same people will post "lol Switch is garbage" in the comments. I mean, what's the point ?

I mean, it's the "worst" version of the game if you're talking about graphics and performance, but not if you want to play handheld or love gyro aiming.

The comments sections in these DF reviews of Switch reviews are always full of people saying "lol shit graphics what's the point of this port" and completely missing the point of why a dev would want to bring a game to a mobile platform. 

Well, to be fair, the YT commen section of this particular review is not bad, it's actually full of people who praise the port or  acknowledge its great technical success. If you filter by new comments, though, yeah, nonsensical stuff tends to appear. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
curl-6 said:

Well, to be fair, the YT commen section of this particular review is not bad, it's actually full of people who praise the port or  acknowledge its great technical success. If you filter by new comments, though, yeah, nonsensical stuff tends to appear. 

True, I guess I was thinking of the comments on DF's website which have a lot of detractors.

Pemalite said:

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, but it's also an absolute achievement in porting to the Switch with this level of fidelity.

If you don't care about framerates and visuals and wish to play it in portable mode, you really can't go wrong unless you get a handheld PC or use xcloud.

I am keen to see how the next idtech game looks on Switch, the engine seems to be making big strides forwards.

Uh, excuse me? If people didn't care about any of this, they wouldn't be looking for this video to know if they're dealing with a shit port. Maybe what you are trying to say is "people that don't care about not having the best visual performance of all versions of the game because they rather play it on a platform that best suits their tastes than look upon the other versions to disdain on them"

Last edited by 160rmf - on 18 January 2021

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

There are handheld PC's which will outperform the Switch.

160rmf said:
Pemalite said:

TLDR.

If you don't care about framerates and visuals and wish to play it in portable mode, you really can't go wrong unless you get a handheld PC or use xcloud.

I am keen to see how the next idtech game looks on Switch, the engine seems to be making big strides forwards.

Uh, excuse me? If people didn't care about any of this, they wouldn't be looking for this video to know if they're dealing with a shit port. Maybe what you are trying to say is "people that don't care about not having the best visual performance of all versions of the game because they rather play it on a platform that best suits their tastes than look upon the other versions to disdain on them"

When I say if you "don't care about framerates and visuals" I am talking about the 30fps cap rather than 60fps or 120fps.
When i say visuals... I am talking sub 480P.

It's still a great experience on a handheld, but if you want 4k, 8k, 240fps... Then yes, the Switch version is the worst version.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
curl-6 said:

Will all of those look/run better than the Switch version though, or be more convenient or comfortable?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 January 2021

It's undeniably a port with compromises, but it's great for people who only play on Switch and for those who want to experience it in handheld mode.
While playing on the go seems interesting, I'm not sure this game is particularry well suited for it (considering the speed and precision it requires). I would even try it but not for full price.

Pemalite said:

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, 

Depends. It has gyro controls and portability, two things that can make a world of a difference to many people. Specially among console players, which unless they play it on Switch... They have none of those. 

Of course, it's visually the worst version available and it's not as fluid as the other versions due to a lower framerate. But I wouldn't flat out say that it's the worst way to play the game. It has its shortcomings, but it also has its benefits compared to other platforms. 

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Will all of those look/run better than the Switch version though, or be more convenient or comfortable?

With a Ryzen 4500u APU? Absolutely.
You can at-least do 720P for starters.

Vodacixi said:
Pemalite said:

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, 

Depends. It has gyro controls and portability, two things that can make a world of a difference to many people. Specially among console players, which unless they play it on Switch... They have none of those. 

Of course, it's visually the worst version available and it's not as fluid as the other versions due to a lower framerate. But I wouldn't flat out say that it's the worst way to play the game. It has its shortcomings, but it also has its benefits compared to other platforms. 

It is the worst way to play.

PC has portability covered. But don't take my word for it.

Gyro controls are found on other platforms also.

Visually the game is a step down compared to all other platforms... But absolutely looks impressive when compared to most other Switch titles...
But other platforms have higher TDP's and aren't stuck with graphics technology from 2014.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 19 January 2021

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--