By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Doom Eternal on Switch

The basics:

- Framerate holds 30fps very well, runs smoother than Panic Button's prior Id Tech games like Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein II. Some frame time blips in portable mode and cinematics (which are relatively rare and brief) are 20fps when portable.

- Docked mode is dynamic 720p, with a minimum of "just below 540p".

- Portable mode is 612p at maximum and "around 360p" (VG Tech says 432p to be exact) at minimum.

- Depth of field and motion blur have been cut, but geometry, scene complexity, lighting, animation quality, volumetrics, and most of the effects work are retained.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 January 2021

Around the Network

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, but it's also an absolute achievement in porting to the Switch with this level of fidelity.

If you don't care about framerates and visuals and wish to play it in portable mode, you really can't go wrong unless you get a handheld PC or use xcloud.

I am keen to see how the next idtech game looks on Switch, the engine seems to be making big strides forwards.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I played the game solely on handheld mode so I was pleased to know that cutscenes run at stable 30 fps instead of the 20 in portable. It's the best Panic Button port to date, barring the glitches.

Any chance the rumored Switch Pro could improve this game if just a little?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Looks pretty damn good for portable.

The question is how much of it it physical how much is a download?

Cobretti2 said:

It's digital only. No retail release.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Cobretti2 said:

well that sucks hard. Hopefully they decide to change their mind, Already have it on PC but would love a physical release on Switch

Quite the technical feet on the switch!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Cobretti2 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

well that sucks hard. Hopefully they decide to change their mind, Already have it on PC but would love a physical release on Switch

A physical was planned for Switch. You could pre-order any retail store but a month or 2 before release they canceled all of them. A physical is never going to happen at this point. The game looks great tho on reg consoles and get a physical there.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:

TLDR.
It is the worst way to play the game, but it's also an absolute achievement in porting to the Switch with this level of fidelity.

He said that as an answer of all the people on Twitter blaming him for the "free-pass" the Switch apparently have regarding tech features, where they can be harsh on other platforms.

And that's pretty sad cause people are trolls and don't deserve to get any answer to their nonsense.

And still those same people will post "lol Switch is garbage" in the comments. I mean, what's the point ?

SKMBlake said:
Pemalite said:

TLDR.

He said that as an answer of all the people on Twitter blaming him for the "free-pass" the Switch apparently have regarding tech features, where they can be harsh on other platforms.

And that's pretty sad cause people are trolls and don't deserve to get any answer to their nonsense.

And still those same people will post "lol Switch is garbage" in the comments. I mean, what's the point ?

I mean, I wouldn't buy it or play it on Switch... Because... PC. I would struggle to tolerate the game at any less than 120hz.

But it doesn't mean the Switch is garbage, far from it, we need to give credit where credit is due rather than play favorites with certain brands.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--