By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what is happening with Gamestop now ?

green_sky said:

Maybe. Only illegal when poor people do it. Market was deregulated by Clinton in 90's. Shit show every couple of years. 

Anyways GME is cool but today's stock is AMC. It is up 240%.

Made a lot off my 5.5 AMC calls I got on Monday. Thank god for r/wallstrattebets.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Seems like this should be illegal some how.

I find it funny that now some of the old guard of traders decry this as gambling. As if the whole wall street, them included ain't gambling on the stock market. The only thing that changed is that they can't guide and thus predict where the stocks are heading...

The original reason of shares was to give a company some money in exchange for the buyers to have a word about where the company is heading. Now how many shareholders buy shares to be able to tell the company what to do next? That number tends to zero outside of company acquisitions these days. Pretty much all the rest is simply gambling on where the stocks are heading.

It's like a giant roulette table where you can only bet on red or black and analysts have  access to a brake underneath the table to ensure the ball drops where they want it to, and are whining now because somebody took their access to the brake.

Amnesia said:

But why does not it stop ??

When it was at 37 already a week ago I was sure it was too dangerous to enter.

It doesn't stop because a short squeeze is a feedback loop.  It is going to keep going up until the short sellers get out.  I saw stories a few days ago that new short positions keep being taken, since this stock price is so high now, but that is just contributing to continue the short squeeze.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

I find it funny that now some of the old guard of traders decry this as gambling. As if the whole wall street, them included ain't gambling on the stock market. The only thing that changed is that they can't guide and thus predict where the stocks are heading...

The original reason of shares was to give a company some money in exchange for the buyers to have a word about where the company is heading. Now how many shareholders buy shares to be able to tell the company what to do next? That number tends to zero outside of company acquisitions these days. Pretty much all the rest is simply gambling on where the stocks are heading.

It's like a giant roulette table where you can only bet on red or black and analysts have  access to a brake underneath the table to ensure the ball drops where they want it to, and are whining now because somebody took their access to the brake.

So what prevents this from continuing nonstop?  Same group of people just all agree to buy the same stock and make money hand over fist?  If everybody does this, then money essentially becomes worthless. 

Though I suppose these folks still need to be able to sell, and I'm guessing few buyers are available.  To each their own, but if I was in on this, I would sell immediately.  It will tumble at some point, might as well be the first one out. 

At some point intentional market manipulation is illegal, which is exactly what is going on.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/27/tilray-ceo-brendan-kennedy-issues-a-warning-to-gamestop-amc-bosses.html

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So what prevents this from continuing nonstop?  Same group of people just all agree to buy the same stock and make money hand over fist?  If everybody does this, then money essentially becomes worthless. 

Though I suppose these folks still need to be able to sell, and I'm guessing few buyers are available.  To each their own, but if I was in on this, I would sell immediately.  It will tumble at some point, might as well be the first one out. 

At some point intentional market manipulation is illegal, which is exactly what is going on.  

It can only happen to stocks that are heavily shorted.  It was estimated that 140% of available Gamestop stocks were shorted.  The Wall Street Bets group found out about the bad position, and a lot of people starting buying up as much stock as they could.  They were able to move the needle enough to start the short squeeze.  I also heard a rumor that rival hedge funds are also buying stock to pressure the short positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_squeeze

It also happened with Volkswagen back in 2008.  This one was a little different because Porsche bought up a ton of outstanding stock themselves, making the available stock very low.  It meant that suddenly there were too many short positions.

"Prior to October 2008, Porsche alone had already controlled 30% of VWs shares.  Next, the government fund of Lower Saxony (the home province of VW in Germany) owned an additional 20% of VW as a strategic stake.

In addition, various index funds owned around 5% of VW due to VWs large weighting in the DAX index.  These index funds were required to hold VW in proportion to its weight in the DAX, such that they would not be able to sell simply due to changes in the price of VW.  Volkswagen alone made up 17% of the DAX index at the time.

Looking at the above, it is clear that heading into October of 2008, around 55% of VW shares were already unavailable in the market for any realistic purposes.  As a result, when Porsche increased its stake by an additional 44%, it meant that the true available float went down from 45% of outstanding shares to around just 1% of outstanding shares.  Suddenly the seemingly “low” short interest of 12.8% turned in to a massive supply and demand imbalance.  Millions of shares needed to be bought immediately even though there were simply no shares available to be sold."

https://moxreports.com/vw-infinity-squeeze/

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

OneTime said:
rapsuperstar31 said:

Some of the kids are going to be worth 6 or 7 figures if they pull this off right. Some of their parents invested in some of these hedge funds that had been short betting Gamestop are going from millionaires to bankrupt. Those on wallstreetbets that trust everyone on reddit for too long are going to watch their new fortunes wiped away pretty quickly if they don't act at the right time. Crazy times going on these days in the market.

Don't forget, while banks are quite happy to sell you imaginary shares, they are under no obligation to help you sell your imaginary shares.  Your ability to sell a $300 share (real or imaginary) is predicated on someone wanting to buy it for $300.  If there isn't someone currently willing to pay real cash for your imaginary share, then I have bad news about the value your investment...

Actually the short positions opened by various investment actors including Marvin investments (I read somewhere up to 140% shorted) means that actually 140% of the current face value of the company will have to be stumped up by the short sellers. They're contractually obliged to purchase the share when either the term expires or they exit the position. But the trouble is that once these contracts are paid out, what remains is a massive bubble. That 140% is dropping every single day. As soon at it hits 99% shorted, the stock is worth $4 again. 

So the endgame is either that the redditors lose their nerve, the stock falls and the short positions are exited... or the price holds, the funds' terms expire, and they are forced to buy the shares at $400 a share. In reality, of course, there are thousands of different actors with short positions, and they're taking different routes, some exiting early, some holding their positions. Meanwhile there are many redditors who are selling their stocks now. The market is clearing - its not clear which side to bet on. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

BTW on average short sellers manipulate the market a lot more and more constantly than short squeezers, that can only do that when some preconditions come true. Also, short squeezers could even be considered an opposite force balancing short sellers. Yes, most of the criticism looks like the one sided argument of an old oligarchy fearing for its dominant position and its power to abuse it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with the real world value of gamestop and isn't just trolls showing how much of a joke the stock exchange actually is, should maybe look at the other companies suddenly surging in value right now.

Because I'm not really sure you could say that now is the time to invest in the movie theater industry or if still not convinced.....

Blackberry phones...

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Its been a hell of a ride, this is occupy wall street done right. 140% of shares shorted, its unbelievable.
Those hedge funds manipulate the market all the time and are bailed out by the fed when shit hits the fan. Its nice to see them suffer for a little while because in the end nothing bad will happen to them.

Im more interested in the aftermath which will probably generate some censorship as usual. Their discord channel has been already taken down.