By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bet Challenge #4 Consecutive Growth (ends Jan 13)

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

What console had the most amount of consecutive weeks selling more than the previous week?

3DS 0 $0.00 0%

DS 1 $50.00 11.11%

NS 1 $50.00 11.11%

PS4 1 $100.00 11.11%

PSP 2 $239.00 22.22%

PSV 1 $100.00 11.11%

Wii 1 $62.52 11.11%

X360 2 $510.00 22.22%

Totals: 9 $1,111.52  
Game closed: 01/13/2021

It's time for Bet challenge #4!

This one is a bit tough as the goal is to determine what console was able to have the most consecutive weeks selling more than the previous week. 

Here is a random example:

In this example, the amount of consecutive weeks selling more than the previous was 4 consecutive weeks.

This challenge is particularly tough because it is a very close race amongst different consoles. 

If you want to explore, I recommend using the Hardware by date chart, here you can move the mouse to see if it goes up or down.

https://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_date.php

Good luck picking the correct console.

Also as a reminder, Bet Challenge#3 Pixel Characters ends today, your goal is to bet on what character is being pixelated. Here is an example of pixelated mario:

Around the Network

Tough one. I think this one actually is DS. Seems to have some decently long stretches at times. Not sure though so I'm not betting big money on this one.

Very difficult. I just say Switch out of the blue

This one is a tough one. I went with 360 at first thinking one of the holidays with the S and Kinect might have done it but looking back it may be one of the consoles that does good in Japan as consoles over there typically increase each week starting mid-late Nov.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Ka-pi96 said:

I like these bet challenge threads, they're a nice idea!

I'm the crazy bastard that bet on the Vita. I dunno, just seems like it could be an unexpected answer. This one isn't really about overall success, rather improvement. And with the pathetically low sales the Vita had it probably had the easiest task in regularly improving on them.

Hi @Ka-pi96 I am really glad you are enjoying these challenges. I am currently  trying to come up with random ideas to try out and hopefully find some interesting challenges. 

It is true that higher sales totals doesn't necessarily correlate to most consecutive weeks increasing. We just saw a great example of the Switch selling 1.2M in one week but it is actually a decline from the previous week.

Like I mentioned in the challenge, this is a tough one, very close race between several consoles. So any bet is a valid one. Hopefully people don't bet too much VG$ because I don't want people to run out of money for future challenges.

I would appreciate any ideas you or anyone else might have about future challenges so that I can try and create them.

Around the Network

A little push?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

A little push?

Thank you @Bofferbrauer2 for the reminder, there are just a few hours left, so hopefully more people will be able to add their bet in time.

It is nice to see so many options selected, it shows that this is a very close bet. Hopefully in the future we will have a cool feature that I have in mind for this types of bets.

I want to also add a quick reminder that a new challenge is always around the corner, therefore while you bet on this one you can hop on to Challenge #5. A special challenge featuring the world of Monkey Island. You will have to solve the clues left behind to find the Mighty treasure left behind by Guybrush Threepwood.

Bet Challenge #5 The Treasure of Monkey Island

Hi everyone, It's Payout Time! well... at least for one of you it is.

This was a very tough bet, in the end the DS was able to hold this one as well. Not by much, actually just by 12 units sold. 

Therefore this week we will be having a total payout of VG$75 to the one and only winner. My proposal for future changes of the betting system will be to give the whole pot to the winners, in this case the person that won would take home all of the VG$1,111.52. But for now we can continue having fun with this system.

I have prepared two charts to show the winners. The first chart will show what was the highest each console reached and how far in its life cycle it was:

You can see that the DS was able to amaze it pretty early on, while the PSP got to 10 weeks almost near the end of its run. The Wii and the PSV were close seconds as well.

Now the most interesting data comes from looking at the actual weeks:

Notice how on week 3 the DS sold only 12 units more than week 2, if it hadn't then the winner would have been the Wii. But at the same time, look at the 3DS week -1, if it had sold just 137 less, it would have greatly increased its streak.

It seems that most streaks just took place during  the ramp up of the holidays. The later consoles seem to be at a loss here because of how important Black Friday has become for sales, it is really hard to sell more than that week on the following week.

Bonus question: Did any of you purchase one of these consoles during  these streaks?

Thank you for playing!

Well, I hope you had fun, please let me know if you would like more challenges like this one. 

Currently we have another Challenge running. I must clarify beforehand that there is no need to know anything about Monkey Island to solve it.

Bet Challenge #5 The Treasure of Monkey Island

Ka-pi96 said:

Aww, the Vita was 3rd. So close yet so far.

Plus I don't think the payout system needs changing. I think it's better to have your winnings determined by how much you bet, rather than how much other people bet.

Consider a scenario with just 2 betters. A puts $1000 on option 1, B puts $10 on option 2. If A wins then they only gained $10 from a $1000 bet, way too much risk to be worth it. If B won however they'd win $1000 from a $10 bet, which is crazy!

I don't think you can set how it should work in the forums.

On the other hand, this could be made a website feature similar to the prediction league. Might want to have a word with @TruckOSaurus or @trunkswd if you want to go that route @dmillos . I would sure welcome it if it would become a part of the website, something like our own trivia quiz.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 January 2021

So I actually won!

Now I regret chickening out on the height of my bet.