By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What did you miss in 2020?

FloatingWaffles said:
curl-6 said:

I'm still torn on Godzilla vs Kong.

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

I feel like that movie is gonna go one of two very cliche ways

1) they both beat the shit out of each other and walk away at the end with no real winner just so they can make everyone happy that their favorite didn't lose technically

2) they fight and then suddenly a bigger threat emerges that they have to team up for and end the movie as allies

i doubt there will actually be a "winner" in it tbh but then again I haven't seen the original like you're mentioning 

I actually hope it's #2; it's been rumoured the film will feature Mechagodzilla and the two of them teaming up against him after fighting each other would be a good outcome in my opinion.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

I wouldn't say that. It gave some necessary character development and maturity to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is important, as he'll likely be the new centrepiece of the MCU in lieu of Tony Stark/Iron Man. The movie is also not very subtle in it's purpose of wanting to serve as the transition from the previous era to the next, using those characters to represent them, and having Peter practically inherit all of Tony's estate and responsibilities.

MJ is also played by Zendaya, who'll be in the upcomming movie Dune.

I'm not saying the movie didn't try, but it certainly didn't succeed in making me care. Also, given the tensions between Marvel/Disney and Sony, I'm not so sure Spider-Man will be the "centerpiece" of the MCU, if anything it looks increasingly like these Spider-Man movies are more interested in doing their own thing rather than serving a purpose for the MCU as a whole. With that, the MCU is kinda left with no real main character, certainly nothing like what we had with Iron Man and Captain America.

Yes, well it did gross over $1.1B in box office alone, close to $300M more than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with less of a budget. Seems to have appealed to much of the wider audience, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Most of the solo MCU movies are independantly focused, with only a few loose threads placed in to connect them. That's generally the point of characters having their own movie. Considering the amount of involvement Happy and Nick Fury have, along with the consistent references to Iron Man all throughout the movie, it actually does more than most solo MCU movies to establish the wider narrative. It just happens to be more focused on character building, rather than setting up the next big event.

FloatingWaffles said:
curl-6 said:

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

1) they both beat the shit out of each other and walk away at the end with no real winner just so they can make everyone happy that their favorite didn't lose technically

2) they fight and then suddenly a bigger threat emerges that they have to team up for and end the movie as allies

i doubt there will actually be a "winner" in it tbh but then again I haven't seen the original like you're mentioning 

They actually said there will be a winner this time. The movie's tagline even says "one will fall", so that's a no-go.

KManX89 said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, those were far different times. Godzilla was fairly new at the time and was also a villain kaiju, so it was somewhat understandable that they wanted King Kong to win.

Oh, and I WAS looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman 84 in theaters, but after watching it on HBO Max, I'm glad I didn't waste money on this. Bad movie marred even further by the 

Spoiler!

Steve Trevor rape subplot.

WTF were they thinking? If the roles had been reversed, there'd be dead WB execs the next day.

They needn't have bothered in my opinion.  I can't see any King Kong fan (myself included) acknowledging this as their Kong:

KManX89 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

They actually said there will be a winner this time. The movie's tagline even says "one will fall", so that's a no-go.

That's what worries me, unless one of them sacrifices themselves to take down a common enemy.

If Kong beats Godzilla, this will be the first film in the series I will not be buying.