By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - What did you miss in 2020?

I didn't get my Marvel fix in 2020.  Not only were Black Widow and The Eternals pushed back but so were the Disney+ shows: Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Around the Network

No movies, but they were working on a The Wheel of Time TV series, that got put on hold due to the pandemic.

curl-6 said:

I'm still torn on Godzilla vs Kong.

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

To be fair, those were far different times. Godzilla was fairly new at the time and was also a villain kaiju, so it was somewhat understandable that they wanted King Kong to win.

Oh, and I WAS looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman 84 in theaters, but after watching it on HBO Max, I'm glad I didn't waste money on this. Bad movie marred even further by the 

Spoiler!

Steve Trevor rape subplot.

WTF were they thinking? If the roles had been reversed, there'd be dead WB execs the next day.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I didn't get my Marvel fix in 2020.  Not only were Black Widow and The Eternals pushed back but so were the Disney+ shows: Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

To be honest, I'm kinda glad there was no Marvel movie this year.

After Endgame, I found myself questioning how they'd make future MCU movies matter. Either they'd try to go even bigger than before, which would feel repetitive and unearned, or they'd tone it down and make smaller-scale movies focused on smaller issues, which would be hard to care for after all that timeline and multiverse bullshit. Then the Spider-Man movie came out, and... Well, it didn't answer that question. It tried to go smaller-scale and felt totally pointless.

Going smaller is the only right call after a movie like that, but because of all that happened, it's harder to care about stuff that happens from now on. I think the lengthy break between movies since then can only help with this, because at least now when we do get a new one, it's gonna feel like an event again.

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

After Endgame, I found myself questioning how they'd make future MCU movies matter. Either they'd try to go even bigger than before, which would feel repetitive and unearned, or they'd tone it down and make smaller-scale movies focused on smaller issues, which would be hard to care for after all that timeline and multiverse bullshit. Then the Spider-Man movie came out, and... Well, it didn't answer that question. It tried to go smaller-scale and felt totally pointless.

Going smaller is the only right call after a movie like that, but because of all that happened, it's harder to care about stuff that happens from now on. I think the lengthy break between movies since then can only help with this, because at least now when we do get a new one, it's gonna feel like an event again.

I wouldn't say that. It gave some necessary character development and maturity to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is important, as he'll likely be the new centrepiece of the MCU in lieu of Tony Stark/Iron Man. The movie is also not very subtle in it's purpose of wanting to serve as the transition from the previous era to the next, using those characters to represent them, and having Peter practically inherit all of Tony's estate and responsibilities.

MJ is also played by Zendaya, who'll be in the upcomming movie Dune.

Around the Network

In approximate order of their original release dates:

No Time to Die
Black Widow
Wonder Woman 84
Top Gun: Maverick
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
The King's Man
Venom 2
Halloween Kills
The Eternals
Godzilla vs. Kong
Dune

I usually go to see about 15 films per year on average in theaters. This year, I only got to see seven. Two of those (Knives Out and 1917) were holdovers from 2019. Tenet was the only film I've seen in theaters since I saw My Hero Academia: Heroes Rising in early March and I only went because the theater was nearly deserted that weekend. I decided against seeing WW84 in theaters and opted to watch in on HBO Max because the theater was looking a bit too crowded and because the COVID numbers are worse than they were when Tenet was released. I hope to be able to see No Time to Die when it's released in April.

Shaunodon said:
mZuzek said:

I wouldn't say that. It gave some necessary character development and maturity to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is important, as he'll likely be the new centrepiece of the MCU in lieu of Tony Stark/Iron Man. The movie is also not very subtle in it's purpose of wanting to serve as the transition from the previous era to the next, using those characters to represent them, and having Peter practically inherit all of Tony's estate and responsibilities.

I'm not saying the movie didn't try, but it certainly didn't succeed in making me care. Also, given the tensions between Marvel/Disney and Sony, I'm not so sure Spider-Man will be the "centerpiece" of the MCU, if anything it looks increasingly like these Spider-Man movies are more interested in doing their own thing rather than serving a purpose for the MCU as a whole. With that, the MCU is kinda left with no real main character, certainly nothing like what we had with Iron Man and Captain America.

FloatingWaffles said:
curl-6 said:

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

I feel like that movie is gonna go one of two very cliche ways

1) they both beat the shit out of each other and walk away at the end with no real winner just so they can make everyone happy that their favorite didn't lose technically

2) they fight and then suddenly a bigger threat emerges that they have to team up for and end the movie as allies

i doubt there will actually be a "winner" in it tbh but then again I haven't seen the original like you're mentioning 

I actually hope it's #2; it's been rumoured the film will feature Mechagodzilla and the two of them teaming up against him after fighting each other would be a good outcome in my opinion.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

I'm not saying the movie didn't try, but it certainly didn't succeed in making me care. Also, given the tensions between Marvel/Disney and Sony, I'm not so sure Spider-Man will be the "centerpiece" of the MCU, if anything it looks increasingly like these Spider-Man movies are more interested in doing their own thing rather than serving a purpose for the MCU as a whole. With that, the MCU is kinda left with no real main character, certainly nothing like what we had with Iron Man and Captain America.

Yes, well it did gross over $1.1B in box office alone, close to $300M more than Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with less of a budget. Seems to have appealed to much of the wider audience, but you're welcome to your opinion.

Most of the solo MCU movies are independantly focused, with only a few loose threads placed in to connect them. That's generally the point of characters having their own movie. Considering the amount of involvement Happy and Nick Fury have, along with the consistent references to Iron Man all throughout the movie, it actually does more than most solo MCU movies to establish the wider narrative. It just happens to be more focused on character building, rather than setting up the next big event.

FloatingWaffles said:
curl-6 said:

I feel like that movie is gonna go one of two very cliche ways

1) they both beat the shit out of each other and walk away at the end with no real winner just so they can make everyone happy that their favorite didn't lose technically

2) they fight and then suddenly a bigger threat emerges that they have to team up for and end the movie as allies

i doubt there will actually be a "winner" in it tbh but then again I haven't seen the original like you're mentioning 

They actually said there will be a winner this time. The movie's tagline even says "one will fall", so that's a no-go.