By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What did you miss in 2020?

Minions 2
NCAA tourney
Tenet
Venom 2
Top Gun 2

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

No Time to Die and Dune. Mostly Dune.

derpysquirtle64 said:

Tenet, No Time To Die and Dune. I actually wanted to watch Tenet at the cinema, but somehow during the timeframe when COVID cases were on decline, me and my friends opted for Blade Runner Director's Cut instead. Can't say that I regret this decision. Will probably watch Tenet a bit later at home.

Director's Cut or Final Cut?

Also you probably already know, but for anyone who doesn't, Blade Runner 2049 is directed by the same man who directed the new Dune (Part 1, and hopefully Part 2 soon).

I did see Tenet recently. I won't say it's not a techincally good movie, because it is well shot, very well acted and may be very well written (if I'm willing to sit through it again and hopefully pay better attention). But for my first time seeing it, I found it borderline unwatchable. Just too much Nolan for one movie to handle.

I meant Final Cut. My bad

I miss No Time to Die, since we still need that one to complete that James Bond thread we had going. Godzilla vs the world was also interesting as a popcorn flick. The rest of this year's movie lineup was going to be weak anyway, so I didn't miss that much.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

derpysquirtle64 said:
Shaunodon said:

No Time to Die and Dune. Mostly Dune.

Director's Cut or Final Cut?

Also you probably already know, but for anyone who doesn't, Blade Runner 2049 is directed by the same man who directed the new Dune (Part 1, and hopefully Part 2 soon).

I did see Tenet recently. I won't say it's not a techincally good movie, because it is well shot, very well acted and may be very well written (if I'm willing to sit through it again and hopefully pay better attention). But for my first time seeing it, I found it borderline unwatchable. Just too much Nolan for one movie to handle.

Where does that cut fall in the Deckard is or is not a replicant debate?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

It does not add anything to this debate. Also, this version of the movie was released like back in 2007 if I'm not mistaken, so most likely if you watched Blade Runner not so long ago, you've probably seen exactly this version. I personally never watched anything other than Final Cut, so can't say what is different in it compared to original and Director's Cut. 

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

curl-6 said:

I'm still torn on Godzilla vs Kong.

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

I feel like that movie is gonna go one of two very cliche ways

1) they both beat the shit out of each other and walk away at the end with no real winner just so they can make everyone happy that their favorite didn't lose technically

2) they fight and then suddenly a bigger threat emerges that they have to team up for and end the movie as allies

i doubt there will actually be a "winner" in it tbh but then again I haven't seen the original like you're mentioning 

I didn't get my Marvel fix in 2020.  Not only were Black Widow and The Eternals pushed back but so were the Disney+ shows: Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

curl-6 said:

I'm still torn on Godzilla vs Kong.

I am a massive Godzilla fan, but I don't want to support the film if they pull the same BS as the 1962 original and make Kong win despite him being by far the inferior monster.

To be fair, those were far different times. Godzilla was fairly new at the time and was also a villain kaiju, so it was somewhat understandable that they wanted King Kong to win.

Oh, and I WAS looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman 84 in theaters, but after watching it on HBO Max, I'm glad I didn't waste money on this. Bad movie marred even further by the 

Spoiler!

Steve Trevor rape subplot.

WTF were they thinking? If the roles had been reversed, there'd be dead WB execs the next day.

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I didn't get my Marvel fix in 2020.  Not only were Black Widow and The Eternals pushed back but so were the Disney+ shows: Wandavision and Falcon and Winter Soldier.

To be honest, I'm kinda glad there was no Marvel movie this year.

After Endgame, I found myself questioning how they'd make future MCU movies matter. Either they'd try to go even bigger than before, which would feel repetitive and unearned, or they'd tone it down and make smaller-scale movies focused on smaller issues, which would be hard to care for after all that timeline and multiverse bullshit. Then the Spider-Man movie came out, and... Well, it didn't answer that question. It tried to go smaller-scale and felt totally pointless.

Going smaller is the only right call after a movie like that, but because of all that happened, it's harder to care about stuff that happens from now on. I think the lengthy break between movies since then can only help with this, because at least now when we do get a new one, it's gonna feel like an event again.

I wouldn't say that. It gave some necessary character development and maturity to Peter Parker/Spider-Man, which is important, as he'll likely be the new centrepiece of the MCU in lieu of Tony Stark/Iron Man. The movie is also not very subtle in it's purpose of wanting to serve as the transition from the previous era to the next, using those characters to represent them, and having Peter practically inherit all of Tony's estate and responsibilities.

MJ is also played by Zendaya, who'll be in the upcomming movie Dune.