By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Games You've Beaten 2021

Dragon Quest XI:s  (Final Boss main game, then played to Calasmos and got my ass handed to me at lvl 73)

Ori and the Blind Forest  (what an absolutely fantastic game, may try to squeeze Will of the Wisps in b4 MH:Rise)

...and with MH:Rise coming, that'll probably be all that I complete this year.

Games in progress:

sWitcher 3

Bayonetta 2

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Well this is a sudden surprise. Add Super Mario 64 to the list. Outta nowhere, I realized I needed 3D All-Stars (This is the last month to get it), so I whored myself out a bit to get the compilation! Friend bought it, it arrived yesterday at like 4 PM, and I spent the rest of the day getting 90+ stars and beating the game (Skipped past Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride).

I gotta say...I'm loving it and hating it in equal measure. The nostalgia is strong so I'm enjoying it (I say present tense because I'm going for 120 stars), but holy hell this game has not aged well. I've been saying this for ages now, but most of it is borne entirely out of memories and old, well-established opinions on the game. but no, now that I've actually gone through and got 75% or so of the available stars, I have to wonder how anyone thought this game was anything more than decent. IT's got some good ideas, but holy hell the controls and camera and visuals are all terrible. Like, unforgivably so.

I know a lot of people say it was 'good for its time', but to this day I'm still not seeing it. Like, I can go back to Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island and all of them play and feel like an absolute dream even today. They look and sound and feel perfect or near to it. They aged well, but Mario 64 has some insanely bad controls. I'd say of the 100 or so lives I've died, 85 of them were for something I couldn't possibly have chnged. Cameras not moving so that I could see the enemy, glitching out on a wall/slope, not grabbing a ledge when I knew I could/should have, falling because the jump button didn't register, and general 'hey, instead of going in the direction you tilt the stick, I'mma do a wide figure eight, get hit by an enemy, and fall of the ledge'.

Like, half of the game is absolutely infuriating. I am actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying it overall (Like I said, the nostalgia is real and strong), but the other half of it is a nightmare.

/Rant

That's strange. My experience with the 3D All-Stars version of the game was the opposite of yours. I came out of it amazed at how well they nailed the controls on their first try. Mario has an impressive set of moves and they all work flawlessly, crouch jump, long jump, triple jump, dives, ground pound, everything flows really well.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

That's strange. My experience with the 3D All-Stars version of the game was the opposite of yours. I came out of it amazed at how well they nailed the controls on their first try. Mario has an impressive set of moves and they all work flawlessly, crouch jump, long jump, triple jump, dives, ground pound, everything flows really well.

Then maybe my controller just isn't working or something (It does get drift but I didn't factor that into my opinion), because even something as simple as crouching for a backflip required like a full second's worth of waiting and holding the button. This doesn't sound like much but when you are in the middle of a fight with an enemy and need it, it's excruciatingly long. 

I rarely seemed to go in the proper direction I was aiming (I'd press directly straight up and it'd veer to the left or right, etc), the camera made it nearly impossible to line up many of my jumps, even the slightest touch on angled surfaces resulted in me sliding off, which was compounded by the whole 'character tends to go in whatever direction they want rather than the direction I instruct them to' problems. I just found every element of controlling Mario in this game to be a frustrating chore, something you fight with as opposed to it coming naturally or him being an extention of the player. 

I love Galaxy and Galaxy 2. I was astounded at how much I LOVED Odyssey. I even really liked Sunshine a lot and Mario 3D Land/World remain some of my favourite mario games. But Mario 64? I don't think it aged well at all. 

Keep in mind I feel that way about pretty much everything on the N64/PS1 era, though. This isn't some 'I hate Nintendo' thing, it's just me saying that, during the 5th generation of consoles I felt we had the technology and skill to make 3D Games, but lacked the skill and technology needed to make it work well. I also heavily dislike Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora's mask, as well. I can't even fathom playing Crash Bandicoot on its original platform. Spyro, too. Platformers on the 5th generation were all nightmares. I only like Final Fantasy VII-IX because they're turn based. if they were action/adventure games I'd likely hate them. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Also, as an aside it looks like my list is:

Rock Band 4 (Platinum)
Red Dead Redemption II (Platinum)
Spider-Man Remastered (Platinum)
Spider-Man Miles Morales (Platinum)
Ratchet: Deadlocked (Platinum)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (Platinum)
Undertale (Platinum)
Super Mario 64 (113 Stars)

Next on my list is a series of games that might take me a while if I alternate and jump from one to another:

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (1-3)
Nioh Collection (1 and 2, both Complete on PS5)
Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Sunshine and Galaxy)

That oughtta keep me busy till Resident Evil Village comes out.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

Well this is a sudden surprise. Add Super Mario 64 to the list. Outta nowhere, I realized I needed 3D All-Stars (This is the last month to get it), so I whored myself out a bit to get the compilation! Friend bought it, it arrived yesterday at like 4 PM, and I spent the rest of the day getting 90+ stars and beating the game (Skipped past Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride).

I gotta say...I'm loving it and hating it in equal measure. The nostalgia is strong so I'm enjoying it (I say present tense because I'm going for 120 stars), but holy hell this game has not aged well. I've been saying this for ages now, but most of it is borne entirely out of memories and old, well-established opinions on the game. but no, now that I've actually gone through and got 75% or so of the available stars, I have to wonder how anyone thought this game was anything more than decent. IT's got some good ideas, but holy hell the controls and camera and visuals are all terrible. Like, unforgivably so.

I know a lot of people say it was 'good for its time', but to this day I'm still not seeing it. Like, I can go back to Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island and all of them play and feel like an absolute dream even today. They look and sound and feel perfect or near to it. They aged well, but Mario 64 has some insanely bad controls. I'd say of the 100 or so lives I've died, 85 of them were for something I couldn't possibly have chnged. Cameras not moving so that I could see the enemy, glitching out on a wall/slope, not grabbing a ledge when I knew I could/should have, falling because the jump button didn't register, and general 'hey, instead of going in the direction you tilt the stick, I'mma do a wide figure eight, get hit by an enemy, and fall of the ledge'.

Like, half of the game is absolutely infuriating. I am actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying it overall (Like I said, the nostalgia is real and strong), but the other half of it is a nightmare.

/Rant

I played the DS version a bit during last Christmas and went out with positive feelings. It's the only version I've played, mind you, I got it for the first time during the early DS years and thought it was good; this time I thought it was going to be insufferable because of the D-Pad movement and the camera, but surprisingly it played well enough, can only imagine it's better on a real joystick. The real standout for me is the music, Dire Dire Docks is something else, man. 

The original 64 version obviously looks horrible by today's standards but everything else holds up nicely, that's what I feel. 

Also, at least you've got 3D All Stars. Make sure to save it very well, could be worth a lot in the future. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Currently playing through Mario 3D World with my daughter. Is it just me or is the speed increase a little too much? I don't know why I just find it doesn't feel as comfortable to control...

1doesnotsimply

Metallox said:

I played the DS version a bit during last Christmas and went out with positive feelings. It's the only version I've played, mind you, I got it for the first time during the early DS years and thought it was good; this time I thought it was going to be insufferable because of the D-Pad movement and the camera, but surprisingly it played well enough, can only imagine it's better on a real joystick. The real standout for me is the music, Dire Dire Docks is something else, man. 

The original 64 version obviously looks horrible by today's standards but everything else holds up nicely, that's what I feel. 

Also, at least you've got 3D All Stars. Make sure to save it very well, could be worth a lot in the future. 

I don't get rid of games! I'll keep it forever! 

I just finished getting 120 on Mario 64 and yeah, I enjoyed it a lot. I know I bitched a lot about it, and I do genuinely feel it had some major problems that people just seem to give it a free pass with, but once I overcame those problems it was a joy. Still by no means a favourite of mine and I still think Gen 5 games are overrated as hell and don't add up, but as a piece of history and a nostalgic experience I am very glad I did it. 

I also think this may have been the first time I ever got 100% (120 stars) in that game. I swear I got it as a kid a time or two, but upon revisiting the game and actually doing it for real this time...I swear I don't remember like any of the stars from Rainbow Ride or Tick Tock Clock. I also don't remember getting stars from Toads (I watched a walkthrough, wondering where 3 or 4 of my castle secret stars were and found them). So maybe I just forgot, maybe I was misremembering. I dunno. all I know is that I got my 120 stars and I'm glad and ready to move on. 

Next on my list is Crash Bandicoot 1 on the N-Sane trilogy. wish me luck; I'm going for platinum (not 100% with all the platinum relics). I gotta keep the streak going! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

A short hike....
Metro 2033 Redux....
Dragon's Dogma....

Replays:
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 9.5/10
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - 8.5/10
Metroid: Zero Mission - 9.5/10

Luigi's Mansion - 8/10

Finished:
Final Fantasy VII - 8.5/10
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - 8/10
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth - 7/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8.5/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 7.5/10
Devil May Cry 5 - 10/10
Mega Man & Bass - 8/10
Mega Man Powered Up - 7/10
Mega Man Zero - 8.5/10
Pepsiman - 6/10
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 9.5/10
Mischief Makers - 8/10

I Wanna Be The Guy - 5.5/10
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - 7.5/10

Devil May Cry 2 - 5/10
NieR: Automata - 9/10

WIP:
Persona 5 Strikers

Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 19 March 2021

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

Replays:
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - 9.5/10
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - 8.5/10
Metroid: Zero Mission - 9.5/10

Luigi's Mansion - 8/10

Finished:
Final Fantasy VII - 8.5/10
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - 8/10
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth - 7/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8.5/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 7.5/10
Devil May Cry 5 - 10/10
Mega Man & Bass - 8/10
Mega Man Powered Up - 7/10
Mega Man Zero - 8.5/10
Pepsiman - 6/10
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 9.5/10
Mischief Makers - 8/10

I Wanna Be The Guy - 5.5/10
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - 7.5/10

Devil May Cry 2 - 5/10
NieR: Automata - 9/10

WIP:
Persona 5 Strikers

Was your Devil May Cry V playthrough with the Vergil DLC? If it was, is it worth it?

Signature goes here!