By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Fox 2: The game that could have been.

Tagged games:

Star Fox 2, the game that could have been.

I did an entire play through of SF2 when it released on the Classic SNES in 2017. The game was colorful and held up well for a potential sequel to one of the best SNES games in Star Fox (Star Wing in other countries) The game pushed the SNES so far that Nintendo actually went on to cancel the game in 1995 due to its FPS issues etc. The game is quite good if you can stomach the 10 frames and its definitely not impossible to beat on its hardest settings. It offered arena style flying, RTS and even ground and transformation missions. Yes the Arwing can turn into a Ground Mech/Walker.

The charm of Star Fox is in Star Fox 2 and if this game released at a better state, this would have been a great addition to the Star Fox lore. Its a shame this game never saw the light of day.. until the Classic SNES which blew afew of our minds knowing that Nintendo would actually revisit this, even as a shabby port it was worth it.

I recently put together an actual playable Star Fox 2 SNES game for myself. Working SNES cartridge with actual game on cart, with Instruction Booklet and SNES Game box. Sits well in my collection right next to Star Wing (Star Fox 1) for the SNES library. Doing all this wasn't cheap.

For those who aren't sure why i did this, Star Fox 2 never officially released, it only just recently came out on the Classic SNES 24 years after Star Fox 1.

The game had potential to be amazing if the FPS was better, its a shame this wasn't addressed on the Classic SNES which would have been capable of running this game a lot better than the OG SNES.

Well worth a play for those Star Fox fans. Nintendo released Star Fox Command on the DS which is the spiritual successful to SF2 for those that enjoy the gameplay.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 26 December 2020

Around the Network

I thought this was going to be about a fan game.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I thought this was going to be about a fan game.

I am not a programmer, however i do know a few who helped placed this game on a SNES Cart for me.

I also have the game on a working SNES cart, or at least my brother who I live with does, so I can play it anytime.

The version I have is from the leaked beta, which is different in a few ways; I think they removed the 64-esque lock-on laser from the SNES classic release didn't they? And Miyu/Faye no longer start with double blasters?

Anyway, I really like the game, I'd actually rank it among my top 10 SNES games. It's a great mix of realtime action and strategy, and it's fun and tactical balancing defending Corneria against dismantling the enemy forces and it has an awesome soundtrack much like the original game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 December 2020

I assume you dumped it on a cart with the GSU-2-SP1 chip rather than the original FX chip that powered the first StarFox?

The GSU-2-SP1 chip for example could address more memory and some people have even overclocked them to 27mhz which bolsters playability to a big degree.
To put that in perspective the OG FX chip that powered StarFox ran at around 10mhz...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

I assume you dumped it on a cart with the GSU-2-SP1 chip rather than the original FX chip that powered the first StarFox?

The GSU-2-SP1 chip for example could address more memory and some people have even overclocked them to 27mhz which bolsters playability to a big degree.
To put that in perspective the OG FX chip that powered StarFox ran at around 10mhz...

Yeah I'm pretty sure Starfox 2 was designed to run on the GSU-2 or "FX2" chip, and that it would be pretty much unplayable if you dumped it onto a FSU1/FX1 equipped cart.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 December 2020

curl-6 said:

I also have the game on a working SNES cart, or at least my brother who I live with does, so I can play it anytime.

The version I have is from the leaked beta, which is different in a few ways; I think they removed the 64-esque lock-on laser from the SNES classic release didn't they? And Miyu/Faye no longer start with double blasters?

Anyway, I really like the game, I'd actually rank it among my top 10 SNES games. It's a great mix of realtime action and strategy, and it's fun and tactical balancing defending Corneria against dismantling the enemy forces and it has an awesome soundtrack much like the original game.

I am very surprised to find others who enjoyed this game. Too many focus on technical aspects of games that it ruins their experience. If a game dropped a couple frames, its in the deep fryer. 

For myself, i see past the technical issues and visuals of games. Golden Eye 64 was considered one of the best multiplayer experiences of its era, and it ran at a sluggish 9fps. Today's gamers wouldn't even consider it playable.. yet ask those who played it in its day and they would say the game was incredibly fun regardless. Star Fox 2 is a quality game bogged down by system limitations however the game is fun and offers everything you stated. I would have loved to see the series spin off into SF2's direction than the direction we ended up getting many years later. 

Azzanation said:
curl-6 said:

I am very surprised to find others who enjoyed this game. Too many focus on technical aspects of games that it ruins their experience. If a game dropped a couple frames, its in the deep fryer. 

For myself, i see past the technical issues and visuals of games. Golden Eye 64 was considered one of the best multiplayer experiences of its era, and it ran at a sluggish 9fps. Today's gamers wouldn't even consider it playable.. yet ask those who played it in its day and they would say the game was incredibly fun regardless. Star Fox 2 is a quality game bogged down by system limitations however the game is fun and offers everything you stated. I would have loved to see the series spin off into SF2's direction than the direction we ended up getting many years later. 

Yeah having grown up in the early years of 3D gaming I can still appreciate games from that era in all their limitations; the original Starfox on SNES remains one of my favourite games of all time.

curl-6 said:
Pemalite said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Starfox 2 was designed to run on the GSU-2 or "FX2" chip, and that it would be pretty much unplayable if you dumped it onto a FSU1/FX1 equipped cart.

People have dumped the Rom onto the "FX1" chip and had it running, it's not silky smooth 60fps... But that was never going to happen on a SNES pushing 100's of polygons. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Guys what if Nintendo unveiled they secretly had Starfox 3 made years ago on the SNES and it was coming to Switch eshop at 144i and running at 12FPS?!?!?!