By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

Well the vast majority of awards went to bigger budget games. What are you trying to prove.. a good game is a good game? :P

Hades has done really well though.

Around the Network

Hades I want to play, I keeping hoping for a physical release.

My only point was indie games aren't going to dethrone AAA for goty awards, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Ah yeah.. true. I think most people would prefer playing AA/AAA games. Hence more votes for those.

I'm actually surprised there are small amount of picks for FFVII Remake and Half Life: Alyx (both excellent games) The latter one being more niche - on PC and requires a VR headset.

Chrkeller said:

And the two above posts highlight my point exactly, indie games (while quite good) aren't contending for GoTY against AAA titles.

Just look at previous winners, they are all AAA.

Telltale was a small independent studio when they won with the first season of the Walking Dead.  It was only after that success that they blew up - then overextended themselves and are now defunct.

Journey was also highly regarded that year.

DonFerrari said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Very glad Hades is in second place! Very impressive when you know certain people treat indies like they're lesser games somehow and only consider AAA games to be eligible for GOTY awards.

I can only speak for myself, and really rarely an Indie really blows me up and make me want to play. I had several good ones that were given on PS+ and some others I purchased, but well for my taste they really can't compare to AAA games and would be hard to win a GOTY (but yes they are eligible, not only for their category, which brings exposition and is good, to genre and even for overall but hardly you'll see a year that you can critic wise say an Indie was the best game above every other one in most metrics, even more because it won't generally even manage to get the top end on graphics, OST, voice acting and others that truly depend on a lot of financial investment and manpower).

Well I might be an outlier but my only criteria for how I rate a game is how much I enjoyed my time playing it. Graphics, OST, voice acting, gameplay all come into play of course but a game having low production values doesn't lose points if it's fun as hell.

Over the last few years, I think more indie games have made it my Top 50 games of all-time than AAA games. Namely, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Guacamelee, Risk of Rain and Hades. To me these games can stand shoulder to shoulder with bigger titles no question asked.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

People comparing total awards across the years are incredibly dense for two reasons:

1. Fluctuation in number of awards given each year.
2. Competition between games released each year.

It's so weird seeing people ranking the total amount of awards won across each year like that's a valid list, it's nonsense and if that's what fans of The Last of Us: Part II are clinging to in order to validate or ratify their own taste and appreciation of that game then that says it all about the insecurity of the fanbase.

As for The Last of Us: Part II winning a majority of the 2020 GOTY awards, of course it's dominating, it had no strong competition other than an indie game and historically indies have rarely won a majority of GOTY awards in any given year.

Well done to Naughty Dog and all that but that still doesn't stop it being a divisive game many didn't like and the damage it has done to the franchise & studio outweigh bragging rights to dominating a lacklustre year.

JustThatGamer said:

People comparing total awards across the years are incredibly dense for two reasons:

1. Fluctuation in number of awards given each year.
2. Competition between games released each year.

It's so weird seeing people ranking the total amount of awards won across each year like that's a valid list, it's nonsense and if that's what fans of The Last of Us: Part II are clinging to in order to validate or ratify their own taste and appreciation of that game then that says it all about the insecurity of the fanbase.

As for The Last of Us: Part II winning a majority of the 2020 GOTY awards, of course it's dominating, it had no strong competition other than an indie game and historically indies have rarely won a majority of GOTY awards in any given year.

Well done to Naughty Dog and all that but that still doesn't stop it being a divisive game many didn't like and the damage it has done to the franchise & studio outweigh bragging rights to dominating a lacklustre year.

Its just interesting to see what people have voted for and by which outlet/s. Calling people dense isn't really constructive or add anything to the topic.

At bold. Wut. This year has been a great year for games. Maybe if you only game on one platform.

Is there such a thing as Game of the Generation awards? It would be curious to see how that splits.

One of the reasons I view it as a weak year is because I own all consoles.  The Switch left a lot to be desired in 2020, so did the Xbox.  Frankly only Sony brought it this year.  My top 3 this year are all ps4 exclusives.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 January 2021

TruckOSaurus said:
DonFerrari said:

I can only speak for myself, and really rarely an Indie really blows me up and make me want to play. I had several good ones that were given on PS+ and some others I purchased, but well for my taste they really can't compare to AAA games and would be hard to win a GOTY (but yes they are eligible, not only for their category, which brings exposition and is good, to genre and even for overall but hardly you'll see a year that you can critic wise say an Indie was the best game above every other one in most metrics, even more because it won't generally even manage to get the top end on graphics, OST, voice acting and others that truly depend on a lot of financial investment and manpower).

Well I might be an outlier but my only criteria for how I rate a game is how much I enjoyed my time playing it. Graphics, OST, voice acting, gameplay all come into play of course but a game having low production values doesn't lose points if it's fun as hell.

Over the last few years, I think more indie games have made it my Top 50 games of all-time than AAA games. Namely, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Guacamelee, Risk of Rain and Hades. To me these games can stand shoulder to shoulder with bigger titles no question asked.

I would say you are very much an outlier in this because sure it is important how much you enjoy a game, but for a critic, review or GOTY it depends of the game itself as a product and not on how you perceive it by your taste.

Nothing wrong with you liking those games but that isn't how a GOTY is decided, even more because fun is factored completely subjectively.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:
KratosLives said:

what about dreams, that doesn't count? regardless, tlou2 wins any year since the first game. 

It isn't about counting, it is about how Last 2 was clearly the most critically well received game in 2020.

As for Last 2 winning in any year...  cool if you believe that.  I don't.  I think Breath, GTA V, God of War, RDR2, Witcher 3 and many others could have easily split the vote (had they released in the same year).  This is my larger point.  There wasn't another game at the level (regardless of my personal opinion) that was able to compete with Last 2 in 2020.  

Tlou2 was technically superior to gow, and had more to offer gameplay wise. As for rdr2, it had some nice environements but was lacking in the single player missions overall. As for witcher 3, some nice environments to explore and some good dialogue here and there , but the gameplay/ combat was average at best. Had it been made by AAA team and big budget, it might compete against tlou2.  Ff7 remake is under rated. I thought it was better than witcher 3.