By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:

Comparatively it was. The fact you guys are listing Indie and Remakes... basically demonstrates as much.

And really it makes sense, both Sony and Microsoft released new systems, so clearly resources were migrated over the last couple years. And there was this thing called Covid, which likely caused delays in development.

But I don't ruin anybody's parade. If you want to think this year was just the amazing, so be it. I just posted my opinion, which was this year was weak, weakest since this generation started (particularly for Nintendo).

Both qualifies for GOTY, and there is also spin-offs... the fact you don't like them or think they shouldn't be included doesn't change the fact that they count and can be strong competitors, even more when FF7R shouldn't even be called a remake since it only follows the basic storyline from the original and have same cast, everything else is completely different, could have been called FFXVI Part I and with very minor changes no one would complain it isn't a new game.

There have been many years that were weaker than this one, and if TLOU2 was released on 2019 it would have dominated nominations and victories just the same. You not particularly liking the game doesn't change that. I have found TW3 to be very boring even after trying to accept it for like 40h of play, and from memory I don't remember a big number of great games released that year, doesn't change the merits of its GOTY.

I don't have an issue with Last 2 winning awards.  The vast majority clearly loved it and it is fitting that it is winning a lot of awards.  And for the record I've tried W3 multiple times and didn't like it either.  My only point is Last 2 didn't have much competition this year, not many other AAA highly praised games were released.  Nintendo in particular had a weak year.

It feels as though people are reading too much into my comment.  

Edit

For the record my GotY is 13 sentinels.  Really great game.  I'm pleased.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 13 January 2021

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Both qualifies for GOTY, and there is also spin-offs... the fact you don't like them or think they shouldn't be included doesn't change the fact that they count and can be strong competitors, even more when FF7R shouldn't even be called a remake since it only follows the basic storyline from the original and have same cast, everything else is completely different, could have been called FFXVI Part I and with very minor changes no one would complain it isn't a new game.

There have been many years that were weaker than this one, and if TLOU2 was released on 2019 it would have dominated nominations and victories just the same. You not particularly liking the game doesn't change that. I have found TW3 to be very boring even after trying to accept it for like 40h of play, and from memory I don't remember a big number of great games released that year, doesn't change the merits of its GOTY.

I don't have an issue with Last 2 winning awards.  The vast majority clearly loved it and it is fitting that it is winning a lot of awards.  And for the record I've tried W3 multiple times and didn't like it either.  My only point is Last 2 didn't have much competition this year, not many other AAA highly praised games were released.  Nintendo in particular had a weak year.

Edit

what about dreams, that doesn't count? regardless, tlou2 wins any year since the first game. 

KratosLives said:
Chrkeller said:

Edit

what about dreams, that doesn't count? regardless, tlou2 wins any year since the first game. 

It isn't about counting, it is about how Last 2 was clearly the most critically well received game in 2020.

As for Last 2 winning in any year...  cool if you believe that.  I don't.  I think Breath, GTA V, God of War, RDR2, Witcher 3 and many others could have easily split the vote (had they released in the same year).  This is my larger point.  There wasn't another game at the level (regardless of my personal opinion) that was able to compete with Last 2 in 2020.  

Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Edit

Sorry but there were plenty of highly praised games. But when compared to TLOU2, but no problem you aren't demanded to agree, but it was looking like you were downplaying the achievement although I agree that the higher the level of competition harder it is to keep dominating. But that wouldn't make us say that Jordan was the best basketball player of all time because the others weren't good (just because in comparison no one was near his level).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Really that was my only point, competition wasn't there for Last 2. There was no God of War, RDR2, Witcher 3, etc. As for Last 2 winning a bunch of awards, good for ND. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. AC can win every Switch GotY award, I still maintain the game is a boring mess of a game (really the entire franchise), point being I make up my own mind and don't let media drive my enjoyment.

Around the Network

Very glad Hades is in second place! Very impressive when you know certain people treat indies like they're lesser games somehow and only consider AAA games to be eligible for GOTY awards.

Signature goes here!

Well since I'm wrong, I assume you guys can quickly point to a year when an indie game won the most goty awards. I'll wait and look forward to being proven wrong.

TruckOSaurus said:

Very glad Hades is in second place! Very impressive when you know certain people treat indies like they're lesser games somehow and only consider AAA games to be eligible for GOTY awards.

I can only speak for myself, and really rarely an Indie really blows me up and make me want to play. I had several good ones that were given on PS+ and some others I purchased, but well for my taste they really can't compare to AAA games and would be hard to win a GOTY (but yes they are eligible, not only for their category, which brings exposition and is good, to genre and even for overall but hardly you'll see a year that you can critic wise say an Indie was the best game above every other one in most metrics, even more because it won't generally even manage to get the top end on graphics, OST, voice acting and others that truly depend on a lot of financial investment and manpower).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I can only speak for myself, and really rarely an Indie really blows me up and make me want to play. I had several good ones that were given on PS+ and some others I purchased, but well for my taste they really can't compare to AAA games and would be hard to win a GOTY (but yes they are eligible, not only for their category, which brings exposition and is good, to genre and even for overall but hardly you'll see a year that you can critic wise say an Indie was the best game above every other one in most metrics, even more because it won't generally even manage to get the top end on graphics, OST, voice acting and others that truly depend on a lot of financial investment and manpower).

Yeah, there are some great indie games but given the choice I'd rather play something with a higher budget vs a smaller production value one (doesn't even need to be AAA). Doesn't mean people can enjoy a game less for being an indie though and can respect that people might like a game more over another, its just not for me.

Its like bit like choosing watch a big blockbuster film with high production vs an indie. I know which one I'd rather pick :P

Last edited by hinch - on 13 January 2021

And the two above posts highlight my point exactly, indie games (while quite good) aren't contending for GoTY against AAA titles.

Just look at previous winners, they are all AAA.