By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Of The Year Tracker 2020 - The Last Of Us Part II - Now Most Awarded Game of All Time!

From gameawards.net:
This award tracker site has been going on since 2003 - collecting all of the annual critic and readers choice awards for publications that give out awards to all formats.
Last of Us Part II has a commanding lead - winning more than 4 times the next closest competitor in Hades - followed in 3rd place by Ghost of Tsushima.
The Last of Us also seems to be a favorite with the Readers Choice awards

Award Totals

• The Last of Us Part II - 261
    • Media Outlets: 169 | Readers' Choice: 92
  • Hades - 53
    • Media Outlets: 50 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 49
    • Media Outlets: 38 | Readers' Choice: 11
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 25
    • Media Outlets: 24 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - 23
    • Media Outlets: 10 | Readers' Choice: 13
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - 20 
    • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Doom Eternal - 12
    • Media Outlets: 12 | Readers' Choice: 0
  • Half Life: Alyx - 9   
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 4
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator - 4
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon - 4
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 3
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising - 2 
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - 1 
  • Demon's Souls - 1
  • Dreams - 1 
  • Kentucky Route Zero - 1 
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 1
  • Persona 5 Royal - 1 
  • Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin - 1
  • Spiritfarer - 1
  • Tell Me Why - 1 
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 
Last edited by Zombie9ers - on 26 January 2021

Around the Network

Nintendo had a weak year, perhaps weakest since launch. I found last 2 grossly overrated, 7 and ghost were both better.

I check gameawards.net more than the one you provided.

But part II is getting a lot of awards this year.

kazuyamishima said:

I check gameawards.net more than the one you provided.

But part II is getting a lot of awards this year.

I saw that I think it’s done by the same guys just more updated

Is hades really that good ?

Around the Network

!
Another good year for Sony and PS. If you look closely, and peel back the layers, there seems to be some kind of pattern here as it concerns critical success. A yearly pattern. Even the big non-Sony games seem to be on PS.

For more hot takes, please PM me for instructions on how to subscribe to my newsletter: Flat Earth Chronicles Quarterly.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Of course Sony is dominating....the 5 of the best games of the year are all Sony games or currently exclusive to the PS brand (FFVII Remake, Demon's Souls, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 2, Persona 5 Royal). If I was to make a prospective top 10 based solely on Metacritic ratings and awards, half of them would be PS4 or PS5 games.

Not sure how Critics and audiences are so divided over Ghost of Tsushima though. 83 metacritic, 9.2 from users. Same with Astro's Playroom getting 83 Metacritic and 9.4 User review. Furthermore, it's funny that user reviews for The Last of US are soooooo low. 'best game' lists are so subjective.

My top ten of the year based on a mix of personal preference, metacritic scores, awards/nominations, user reviews, Sales, and general perception. This is by no means a definitive list, but a good example of games that seemed to do the most this year, got people talking the most, inspired the most passion, etc.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Demon's Souls Remastered
Doom: Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades
Half Life Alyx
The Last of Us Part 2
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Spider-Man Miles Morales

I haven't played all of these games, I don't even like all of these games (I actively dislike The Last of Us), but I'd say that's a pretty solid list of games that did the most to get people talking this year, elicited the strongest responses, and evoked the most passion. Some honorable mentions include Astro's Playroom, Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, and I guess Microsoft Flight Simulator since it got great reviews but I never see or hear anyone talking about it.

So of course Sony is kicking ass. They're the ones with 5/10 of the most talked about, played, and loved games of the year. 5 PS games, 1 Nintendo game, 1 PC game, and 3 Multiplatform games.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Ka-pi96 said:
Zombie9ers said:

Cyberpunk 2077 - 2

I'm enjoying the game so far, but it definitely doesn't deserve any GOTY awards. Far too many issues for that.

Yeah I remember the countless times I saw people declaring it game of the year before it even came out and how it was going to destroy The Last of Us Part II. I knew it wasn’t going to after watching all the videos leading up to release.  Nothing about the gameplay looked good.  I think CD Projekt Red is extremely overrated- Witcher III included.  That had a bunch of issues too when it released - but even after all of the patches I could never get into the game - the combat was so bland and the protagonist so boring.  

This is why the GOTY things are kind of dumb. What games really dominated this year? Animal Crossing and Among Us. Animal Crossing only gets 4 and Among Us gets none.

These awards are not a reflection of what most gamers really like.

KratosLives said:

Is hades really that good ?

Yes, I have it on the switch and is really good!!