By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II Wins Game of the Year!

Chrkeller said:
Nautilus said:

Didn't deserve it at all. Was a just a decent game at best. Oh well.

I am in the same boat, thought it was just ok.  Pacing issues really hurt the game.  The back portion was just boring.

I personally thought Ghost, VII Remake and Origami were better.  I bought 13 Sentinels will be playing it later this week, I suspect I may like that better as well.

Personally, FF VII Remake is the best game of the year, easily.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Very disappointing choice, I'm sorry but such a divisive game just should not win goty. my personal pick would have been hades. But honestly the game that deserved it was obviously animal crossing. I've never seen a game have such a positive influence on so many people during such a dark time. Although like Oscars, Emmys, Grammys etc they are in the end completely meaningless and pointless.

Also I didn't hate the game. It had some great moments. But when taking the good and the bad the game ends up just being ok

Last edited by pikashoe - on 14 December 2020

Not playing this bleak shit.

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

Starting your comment by laughing at a pointless grammatical issue that didn't prevent you from understanding him only proves his point about you. Grow up. 

I kindly suggest you continue flaming people like that. 👌

If you think I'm flaming, then by all means, do whathever you think you have to do. 

pikashoe said:

Very disappointing choice, I'm sorry but such a divisive game just should not win goty. my personal pick would have been hades. But honestly the game that deserved it was obviously animal crossing. I've never seen a game have such a positive influence on so many people during such a dark time. Although like Oscars, Emmys, Grammys etc they are in the end completely meaningless and pointless.

Also I didn't hate the game. It had some great moments. But when taking the good and the bad the game ends up just being ok

If it makes you feel better, Animal Crossing/Sephiroth look to have made a larger impact overall per Google trends.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now%207-d&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0gh5gy,%2Fg%2F11gcqpysnt,%2Fg%2F11c5sz63z6,%2Fm%2F02rsbb

Around the Network

It’s been 4 days, let it go people.

There are millions that actually love the game and consider it one of the best of the generation.

Move on. There are other new games and upcoming ones, use your energy better.

kazuyamishima said:

It’s been 4 days, let it go people.

There are millions that actually love the game and consider it one of the best of the generation.

Move on. There are other new games and upcoming ones, use your energy better.

It's a controversial release. People are going to discuss it whether you like it or not. Also it's not like throwing a few comments into a thread is a massive use of energy or something. 

KratosLives said:
DonFerrari said:

Sincerely the locations used for TLOU2 doesn't bring a beautiful setting or environment, on GoT that is in spades.

But there are in fact many beautiful areas and levels of work in the game. I may just have to make a video comparison and do a count for count like comparison and analysis. 

That would probably go for personal taste, and I do love japan, cherryblossom and samurais =p

Just as BraLOD I took toon of screen captures and footage on GoT, something I hardly do in any other game, I think I done only twice on TLOU2. And I'll say that one of the times in TLOU2 was just the best scene I ever seem in gaming, the burning village is a sight to behold.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Jaicee said:

The Last of Us Part II isn't just my favorite game of 2020, it's more like one of my favorite games ever. The reasons are too numerous to even list here, of which its technical merits really are the least. I love this game for most of the same reasons that so many others despise it: because it's bold and daring, because it's nuanced and complicated and lacks clear heroes and villains, because it makes you rethink your prejudices perhaps developed from experience with the first game, because it's got lesbian love and family life as significant narrative elements (deal with it!), because they allowed Ellie to be broken by her life and her loss instead of having to be "likable", because they didn't water down the brutality of war and vengeance so people wouldn't be depressed by it, and because a game uncompromisingly addressing the topics of hatred, forgiveness, the pain of loss and the struggle to accept it and move on by finding those things in life that are good and haven't been lost (amidst a pandemic no less) just seems the timeliest, most socially relevant game there is right now at this moment of tremendous pain, anguish, loss, and anger in the world. These are the sorts of the reasons TLOU2 has proven the most controversial video game ever released, and also why I'm very glad that the Game Awards didn't take said controversy as their cue to make a less deserving choice for their Game of the Year award.

This isn't just a victory for this particular game, it's a victory for art. I think the best art is challenging! I mean, as I've discussed at some length here before, I don't agree with every suggestion of this game's story myself and I have my own favorite characters and ones I connect to more than others, but that's part of what I mean about it! During the Great Depression, people generally preferred to watch musicals about affluence that bore no resemblance to their real lives. Mindless, escapist, happy entertainment. In 2020, gamers play Animal Crossing: New Horizons because it has nothing whatsoever to do with their realities because the realities of the world are painful ones. 2020 sucks and we all know it. The best art does not settle for what makes consumers feel comfortable amidst their pain, but rather helps them get to the bottom of it, find its roots and dig them up. This is a victory for that -- for art that challenges rather than just appeases. It's a victory for games that want to help you up, not just help you out.

Agree with you. Another important point the game made (and I'll skip the trans char and religious persecution as that is a little problematic stance in the game) is showing that minorities such as LGBT, women and black people can be good people but also can be terrible people and this have been something missing in other stuff. Some media will have minorities for comedic relief or harass them, other have them as super people that have no flaws, and hardly any have a good variety where you can see they just as regular folks, good, bad and neutral.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

We'll deserved. Laura Bailey for best performance is also awesome.

4 ≈ One