By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II Wins Game of the Year!

coolbeans said:

Alright.  So, I definitely need to nip this in the bud quickly.

You're hyper-focusing on the bolded part to the point of mentally detaching what I was talking about beforehand; that said, I could've saved you some frustration with adding an adjective like "belligerent fans" or the like.  Mentally, my sole intention was fixating on the "lol cope" bullshit and unfair insinuations by the more obnoxious fans.  

I still stand by what I said at the end of our comment chain for TLOUII review.  What you've consistently done (that I've seen) with TLOU Pt.II is earnestly praise its accomplishments.  For me?  That's worlds apart from "slavishly propping up Druckmann's vision" as I described.  Sure, I was being blunt but I'd encourage you to re-evaluate the response chain to understand to why I took that approach.  Plus, I thought it was a good zinger. ;)

You also said a lot of other words that I don't want to dismiss but it just doesn't apply against me.  I think shit like review-bombing and yada yada is stupid too.  There are obnoxious people and trolls who are like a festering boil to the community.  I hate hearing how some people have acted rude towards you for no reason.  This comment was never intended to do that.

Fans who are sharing why they believe *X* is a masterpiece?  That's no problem.

Fans who are playing accusatory blame games against critics and/or desperately relying on pieces of metal to validate their opinion?  Kinda cringe.

Oh I think positional desperation is definitely setting in for someone here alright, but it ain't the fans so much as someone with an indefensible review to defend against the much greater weight of this particular piece of metal. We'll leave that at that!

Anyway, it was a good zinger. I'm just not in the mood for it tonight. Tbh, the well was SO thoroughly poisoned long before this game's release that just about all criticisms of it feel personal to me at least a little and I just let most of it slide on the theory that my cynicism about people's "real" motives is probably unwarranted most of the time. I've gotta get over that cynicism and learn to parse better.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 December 2020

Around the Network

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this game does deserve the 'Game of the Year' award.

It's certainly earned it by being such a hot rod of discussion and controversy. And it certainly helps that 'Game of the Year' doesn't mean best, at least not for me: the biggest topic of 2020 has been the Covid-19 pandemic and it would certainly win 'Event of the Year' if there was such an award but that doesn't make it good.

Didn't deserve it at all. Was a just a decent game at best. Oh well.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:

Yes. People have spoken, and it does deserve it.

Though it’s not my personal pick.

Hynad said:
Nautilus said:

Just because some critics from famous websites choose it as GOTY, dosen't mean it's necessarily a good game, nor that I have to personally accept it.

It just sucks when there are clearly better games to pick. But oh well.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
Hynad said:

Just because some critics from famous websites choose it as GOTY, dosen't mean it's necessarily a good game, nor that I have to personally accept it.

Just because you don’t personally like the game as much, doesn’t mean it’s not a good game, or that people thinking so are wrong or the game undeserving. Get over yourself.

It sucks that other similarly great games could also have won, but oh well, one had to win and people chose it over the others for many reasons.

Hynad said:
Nautilus said:

Just because you don’t personally like the game as much, doesn’t mean it’s not a good game, or that people thinking so are wrong or the game undeserving. Get over yourself.

It sucks that other similarly great games could also have won, but oh well, one had to win and people chose it over the others for many reasons.

Lol. Always find it funny that people get angry at me for stating my own personal opinion, and then they go on to state their own personal opinion as an argument.

I'm happy for you that you liked that The Last Of Us 2 won, but I simply find that sad. I'm not contesting over the fact that it won, but rather the critics tastes(Because Ghost of Tsushima won the popular vote, not The Last of Us).The Last of Us had so many flaws that I personally don't think it deserved that award, that's all.

Oh well, that's just how life goes. Talents win sometimes, and sometimes it loses. That's just how it is.

Nautilus said:
Hynad said:

Lol. Always find it funny that people get angry at me for stating my own personal opinion, and then they go on to state their own personal opinion as an argument.

I'm happy for you that you liked that The Last Of Us 2 won, but I simply find that sad. I'm not contesting over the fact that it won, but rather the critics tastes(Because Ghost of Tsushima won the popular vote, not The Last of Us).The Last of Us had so many flaws that I personally don't think it deserved that award, that's all.

Oh well, that's just how life goes. Talents win sometimes, and sometimes it loses. That's just how it is.

So you’re  among those who need to trash or downplay something to try to elevate something else. Some kind of black or white type of guy?

Just there, you’re implying ND is talentless. That is as self-absorbed an argument as can be. That kind of statements don’t particularly show  you can be objective when it comes to any of this. On the contrary.

I advice people who still trash this game and try to undermine its accomplishments to move on to more relevant and meaningful things in their respected lives.

TLOU2 won. Let it go.

Last edited by Dahum - on 13 December 2020

Hynad said:
Nautilus said:

So you’re  among those who need to trash or downplay something to try to elevate something else. Some kind of black or white type of guy?

Just there, you’re implying ND is talentless. That is as self-absorbed an argument as can be. That kind of statements don’t particularly show  you can be objective when it comes to any of this. On the contrary.

Good lord man. How hard is it to understand that what I mean is is that " I personally don't like it"?

There is nothing objective about anything that resembles an opinion, nor I'm downplaying anything( because if that was the case, then every opinion would be an direct attack to something else). The award is also an aglomeration of opinions. I don't agree with the TGA opinion on who the GOTY is, nor did I find The Last of Us 2 a good game, but that's my opinion. That's all, sheesh.