By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II Wins Game of the Year!

The more people complain and trash talk naughty dog and neil the more happy i get with their tears. Cant wait to see a compilation of all the awards in the end

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
twintail said:

I mean, we know this happened with the gamer award and we know this has been happening to TLOU2 since even before its release.

I don't know what to tell you except that you turning a blind eye to bigotry is what allows it to continue to exist.

But like I said in my previous comment. It doesn't matter what the reason is.

Nobody said there haven't been people who just hated the game because lesbians and jacked women. They are definetly there and they are filthy scum whose opinion don't deserve to be acknowledged. 

However, and that's what the other user was trying to say is that reducing the criticism the game got to just bigotry and hating it's turning a blind eye to both legit criticism and the weak points the game may have. Because yes: there are people who just didn't like the game and they offered valid arguments for it. And instead of accepting that, fans of TLoU decided to just ignore the complaints and put those people in the same bag as the biggots. 

This is a perfectly valid response. I appreciate the detailed reply.

twintail said:
Vodacixi said:

Nobody said there haven't been people who just hated the game because lesbians and jacked women. They are definetly there and they are filthy scum whose opinion don't deserve to be acknowledged. 

However, and that's what the other user was trying to say is that reducing the criticism the game got to just bigotry and hating it's turning a blind eye to both legit criticism and the weak points the game may have. Because yes: there are people who just didn't like the game and they offered valid arguments for it. And instead of accepting that, fans of TLoU decided to just ignore the complaints and put those people in the same bag as the biggots. 

This is a perfectly valid response. I appreciate the detailed reply.

And I appreciate your kind words. I wish debates on forums were always like this... 

thismeintiel said:
twintail said:

You mean all those little ppl who can't handle LGBTQ content who helped rally behind GoT winning the gamer award? Possibly the same ppl down voting the video if you ask me.

Not that it really matters.

Lol, funny how a certain group of people can't handle legit criticism, so have no alternative but to label those who offer it as blind haters and bigots. Same old strategy.

There's something cringe-inducing about that wave of responses in general.  There seems to be a greater amount of text dedicated to making "lol learn to cope" rebuttals than actually arguing why it earns each of its accumulated awards.  Maybe it's the circles I found myself in this year, but I don't recall this type of weird accusatory energy before.

Fans: you don't have to slavishly toil in propping up Neil Druckmann's vision.  You can leave that to the crunched developers at Naughty Dog.

coolbeans said:
thismeintiel said:

Lol, funny how a certain group of people can't handle legit criticism, so have no alternative but to label those who offer it as blind haters and bigots. Same old strategy.

There's something cringe-inducing about that wave of responses in general.  There seems to be a greater amount of text dedicated to making "lol learn to cope" rebuttals than actually arguing why it earns each of its accumulated awards.  Maybe it's the circles I found myself in this year, but I don't recall this type of weird accusatory energy before.

Fans: you don't have to slavishly toil in propping up Neil Druckmann's vision.  You can leave that to the crunched developers at Naughty Dog.

Really? Is this what you feel that for example I have done here? Or anywhere? Because back when you scored this game a 7 out of 10, I thought we had a pretty healthy and productive discussion about that in the comments. (Your exact words at the time were: "You (& others) have helped contribute to my most rewarding comment sections yet.") And that I've gone into a good amount of detail about what I've liked and not liked about The Last of Us Part II time and time again.

Knowing what it is to be labeled unfairly, I try to avoid the practice and don't recall labeling you. But look, though I have sought to practice restraint and consideration as the rule, even I too have been known to broad-brush opponents of this game before because I too have feelings and am not perfect. Here's an example from back on June 12th, a week before TLOU2's release, where I complained about seeing hundreds of comments on IGN attacking TLOU2 by disparaging women in general and lesbians in particular. Well I am one of those and you might not believe this but that stuff, in large enough volumes, purveyed on a sufficiently sustained basis, can be hurtful! Shit gets to me too sometimes. (Incidentally, my work shift that day was 12 hours, which is not an uncommon shift length for me, and for which I don't exactly make $100,000 a year or get any decision-making power in the company I work for.)

I still see this kind of bullshit all the time even now! Just the other night I was checking out the Open Roads announcement trailer on YouTube and the first comment posted there was a remark about how it "Looks like one of those lesbian games lol", which had the second most up-votes on the thread. (The women portrayed in said trailer were mother and daughter.) And the first reply to that comment was like "Last of Us 2...hopefully not", which was also up-voted. So I mean I don't even have to be looking at anything related to this game to find this misogynist shit following me around all across the game-o-sphere in a way that's specifically attached to this game.

So I mean I'm sorry if you feel unfairly labeled by somebody here. Perhaps if the well had not been poisoned right off the bat by an unprecedented wave of review bombings, leaks, death threats against the developers (and against many fans, I might add), and wave after wave of specific attacks on lesbianism itself, gender-nonconforming women, women in general, Jewish people for being Jewish, etc. etc. etc., it would be easier for many to avoid comparatively soft broad-brushing labels (e.g. "haters") in the face of being merely labeled say a cunt, a bitch, a whore, a cuck, a man-hater, a beta, a kike, or if one is feeling nice then maybe just an sjw. I'll try harder to mentally separate actual game-related critiques from critiques of me as a person in the future. I just don't see why you take critiques of "haters" as a critique of you if you aren't one.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 12 December 2020

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
coolbeans said:

Really? Is this what you feel that for example I have done here? Or anywhere? Because back when you scored this game a 7 out of 10, I thought we had a pretty healthy and productive discussion about that. And that I've gone into a good amount of detail about what I've liked and not liked about The Last of Us Part II time and time again.

Knowing what it is to be labeled unfairly, I try to avoid the practice and don't recall labeling you. But look, though I have sought to practice restraint and consideration as the rule, even I too have been known to broad-brush opponents of this game before because I too have feelings and am not perfect. Here's an example from back on June 12th, a week before TLOU2's release, where I complained about seeing hundreds of comments on IGN attacking TLOU2 by disparaging women in general and lesbians in particular. Well I am one of those and you might not believe this but that stuff, in large enough volumes, purveyed on a sufficiently sustained basis, can be hurtful! Shit gets to me too sometimes. (Incidentally, my work shift that day was 12 hours, which is not an uncommon shift length for me, and for which I don't exactly make $100,000 a year or get any decision-making power in the company I work for.)

I still see this kind of bullshit all the time even now! Just the other night I was checking out the Open Roads announcement trailer on YouTube and the first comment posted there was a remark about how it "Looks like one of those lesbian games lol", which had the second most up-votes on the thread. (The women portrayed in said trailer were mother and daughter.) And the first reply to that comment was like "Last of Us 2...hopefully not", which was also up-voted. So I mean I don't even have to be looking at anything related to this game to find this misogynist shit following me around all across the game-o-sphere in a way that's specifically attached to this game.

So I mean I'm sorry if you feel unfairly labeled by somebody here. Perhaps if the well had not been poisoned right off the bat by an unprecedented wave of review bombings, leaks, death threats against the developers (and against many fans, I might add), and wave after wave of specific attacks on lesbianism itself, gender-nonconforming women, women in general, Jewish people for being Jewish, etc. etc. etc., it would be easier for many to avoid comparatively soft broad-brushing labels (e.g. "haters") in the face of being merely labeled say a cunt, a bitch, a whore, a cuck, a man-hater, a beta, a kike, or if one is feeling nice then maybe just an sjw. I'll try harder to mentally separate actual game-related critiques from critiques of me as a person in the future. I just don't see why you take critiques of "haters" as a critique of you if you aren't one.

Alright.  So, I definitely need to nip this in the bud quickly.

You're hyper-focusing on the bolded part to the point of mentally detaching what I was talking about beforehand; that said, I could've saved you some frustration with adding an adjective like "belligerent fans" or the like.  Mentally, my sole intention was fixating on the "lol cope" bullshit and unfair insinuations by the more obnoxious fans.  

I still stand by what I said at the end of our comment chain for TLOUII review.  What you've consistently done (that I've seen) with TLOU Pt.II is earnestly praise its accomplishments.  For me?  That's worlds apart from "slavishly propping up Druckmann's vision" as I described.  Sure, I was being blunt but I'd encourage you to re-evaluate the response chain to understand to why I took that approach.  Plus, I thought it was a good zinger. ;)

You also said a lot of other words that I don't want to dismiss but it just doesn't apply against me.  I think shit like review-bombing and yada yada is stupid too.  There are obnoxious people and trolls who are like a festering boil to the community.  I hate hearing how some people have acted rude towards you for no reason.  This comment was never intended to do that.

Fans who are sharing why they believe *X* is a masterpiece?  That's no problem.

Fans who are playing accusatory blame games against critics and/or desperately relying on pieces of metal to validate their opinion?  Kinda cringe.

People still arguing about this thing? I love this game to death and even I dont have the energy to care about it so much 6 months later...

coolbeans said:

You're hyper-focusing on the bolded part to the point of mentally detaching what I was talking about beforehand; that said, I could've saved you some frustration with adding an adjective like "belligerent fans" or the like.  Mentally, my sole intention was fixating on the "lol cope" bullshit and unfair insinuations by the more obnoxious fans.  

I still stand by what I said at the end of our comment chain for TLOUII review.  What you've consistently done (that I've seen) with TLOU Pt.II is earnestly praise its accomplishments.  For me?  That's worlds apart from "slavishly propping up Druckmann's vision" as I described.  Sure, I was being blunt but I'd encourage you to re-evaluate the response chain to understand to why I took that approach.  Plus, I thought it was a good zinger. ;)

You also said a lot of other words that I don't want to dismiss but it just doesn't apply against me.  I think shit like review-bombing and yada yada is stupid too.  There are obnoxious people and trolls who are like a festering boil to the community.  I hate hearing how some people have acted rude towards you for no reason.  This comment was never intended to do that.

Fans who are playing accusatory blame games against critics and/or desperately relying on pieces of metal to validate their opinion?  Kinda cringe.

Oh I think positional desperation is definitely setting in for someone here alright, but it ain't the fans so much as someone with an indefensible review to defend against the much greater weight of this particular piece of metal. We'll leave that at that!

Anyway, it was a good zinger. I'm just not in the mood for it tonight. Tbh, the well was SO thoroughly poisoned long before this game's release that just about all criticisms of it feel personal to me at least a little and I just let most of it slide on the theory that my cynicism about people's "real" motives is probably unwarranted most of the time. I've gotta get over that cynicism and learn to parse better.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 December 2020

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this game does deserve the 'Game of the Year' award.

It's certainly earned it by being such a hot rod of discussion and controversy. And it certainly helps that 'Game of the Year' doesn't mean best, at least not for me: the biggest topic of 2020 has been the Covid-19 pandemic and it would certainly win 'Event of the Year' if there was such an award but that doesn't make it good.

Jaicee said:
coolbeans said:

Oh I think positional desperation is definitely setting in for someone here alright, but it ain't the fans so much as someone with an indefensible review to defend against the much greater weight of this particular piece of metal. We'll leave that at that!

Anyway, it was a good zinger. I'm just not in the mood for it tonight. Tbh, the well was SO thoroughly poisoned long before this game's release that just about all criticisms of it feel personal to me at least a little and I just let most of it slide on the theory that my cynicism about people's "real" motives is probably unwarranted most of the time. I've gotta get over that cynicism and learn to parse better.

Oh damn...I've been made!  Really though, I can act a whole lot sweatier if we're talking ceremonies that are classier than The Game Adverts Extravaganza.  :P

Oh for sure there was an ugly dogpile before the game even released.  Some of my 'favorite' moments were the before and after leak response videos of how epically wrong several plot points were and just going with "trolls are ragging on me for stating my opinion." Yeah, maybe try playing a game before opening your mouth next time.  I'm glad to have avoided TLOU2 spoilers as best as I could, b/c the colossally stupid pre-release opinions were their own entertainment.