By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Let's talk about privacy!

How much data do you give away?

I try to clog the NSA servers. 6 33.33%

Sometimes I disallow cookies. 7 38.89%

Incognito Mode is my default. 1 5.56%

VPN way or no way. 1 5.56%

You will never find me without an onion. 1 5.56%

I only use the internet f... 2 11.11%

Total:18

Today, when I logged into gmail I got a notification and an interesting question from google. It asked me if I wanted to keep using the "smart features" of gmail or if I'd like to turn them off. Then asked again for all other google services like maps and stuff. They explain the smart features are the stuff that sort mails into categories automatically, block stuff and correlate mails, for example mapping out a trip you've planned and keep track of your hotel bookings. They claim turning those features off might decrease overall performance.

I thought this proposition was quite interesting considering they have used those features for years without specifically asking me. So of course I did the smart(HAHA!) thing and kept all of the features across all of their services on, duh.

This reminded me of all the people I know and all the people out there that get triggered by privacy issues and data collections. So I wanted to chat a bit and see what your stance on all this is.

Are you comfortable sharing your online data?

Do you make sure you share as little as possible?

Do you use incognito mode or a VPN?

Is Big Data enriching your life?

How did targeted ads murder your dog?

Do you share your data only with specific entities or countries?

What's your biggest fear when giving away data on the internet?

Do you actually think you are doing enough to protect your data?

What are your personal benefits of keeping all that data to yourself?

Find my Opinion on Big Data below.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I'm pretty much a Big Data glutton. I give away all of my data with both hands. I don't even know how to turn on incognito mode on any of my devices. I try to have as many services connected as possible, preferably on the same platform. I got angry at google when it wasn't properly tracking every footstep I took.

I do not really see any benefit in suppressing my data. In fact, I pity the NSA for having to store all of my garbage data. I don't think any of my garbage data can really hurt me, my life is way too boring anyway.

So instead I try to benefit off of Big Data as much as possible. I appreciate targeted ads and enjoy all of the smart features that are able to predict and remember things thanks for my generous data input. My Youtube Music Mixtapes are just great and all thanks to google knowing my music habits.

I've tried to argue with privacy obsessed people but they could never give me a straight answer, which leads me to believe that privacy is mostly an emotional issue rather than something rational.

It still makes me feel a bit weird also considering that I work as an IT security expert.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

1. Are you comfortable sharing your online data? No. But then again, it's not something I care much about

2. Do you make sure you share as little as possible? No 

3. Do you use incognito mode or a VPN? VPN I guess? 

4. Is Big Data enriching your life? Huh?

5. How did targeted ads murder your dog? It just targeted it, just like that. I couldn't do anything about it because it happened too quickly ?

6. Do you share your data only with specific entities or countries? I don't know, I click stuff 

7. What's your biggest fear when giving away data on the internet? Some bastard is gonna track me down and kill me.

8. Do you actually think you are doing enough to protect your data? No

9. What are your personal benefits of keeping all that data to yourself? I have no clue 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

I try to turn off as many cookies as possible whenever they ask me. Of course, it gets a lot harder with sites like Google that don't give you simple boxes but send you to a site with lots of complicated text. But from what I understand, I've got my location, personalised ads and audio recording all turned of on Google.

I don't care or understand quite enough to use VPN's or other complicated stuff though.

I use the internet only for games (though, also not really) and checking sales.

Around the Network

1. Are you comfortable sharing your online data?

No. But then again, it's not something I care much about

2. Do you make sure you share as little as possible?

No, I dont think I "make sure" of it, but Im used to not sharing personal or sensible info. 

3. Do you use incognito mode or a VPN? 

VPN I guess. 

4. Is Big Data enriching your life? 

No idea what this question means, but I just want to say that as far as "indie game of the generation" goes, Hollow Knight beats Hades every single day. 

5. How did targeted ads murder your dog?

They didnt. Age did. 

6. Do you share your data only with specific entities or countries?

I don't know, I click stuff 

7. What's your biggest fear when giving away data on the internet?

My nudes are leaked. I have so many nudes. All over the place. 

8. Do you actually think you are doing enough to protect your data?

No. But I dont think I share anything worth stealing. Except all those nudes. 

9. What are your personal benefits of keeping all that data to yourself?

Tranquility I guess?

I've accepted reality, there is no such thing as privacy in this world. Either you go off-grid to live in the mountains or play along and be a good consumer.

I don't have a mobile phone though, not being reachable is gold. However at home I couldn't care less where my browser data goes, as long as I don't have to pour over all the crap I google. When sites ask I click no, just for having the pretense they care about my privacy.

I won't tell you how I voted.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Pretty sure these companies continue to collect and use your data, even when you opt-out.
Might as well enjoy the byproducts.

What I find hilarious is the trend to cover webcams... I assume those people do the worst kind of things in front of these cameras.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 10 December 2020

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Probably shouldn't use windows 10, there's a start.