By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo apparently shut down sale of custom Etika themed Joycons that were raising money for charity

Big companies being trash and heartless is not surprising

Totally unnecessary move for Nintendo, hope they get backslash and step back

Around the Network

Those are some cool controllers!

I sort of hate Nintendo for shutting this down but I'm also always wary when it comes to any charities. I'm always scared a charity could be a scam.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 07 December 2020

it is harsh but if it is not licensed and if they allow it then everybody will do it.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

If NoA was in control this wouldn't happened, as Etika (and Melee Community) had excellent relationship to NoA during Wii U days

Imo nothing will top the Kimishima period when it comes to Nintendo being Content Creators friendly as well as giving more regional control to NoA (crediting the Switch success to him and Iwata)

Last edited by B6a6es - on 07 December 2020

So all the 111K tweet bought these custom joycons?

Last year the campaign on indiegogo failed to reach it's goal.

Honestly they should have just stuck with selling shells only and not the modified Nintendo controller. Surely Nintendo would not have blocked a shell?

Makes sense that they block a reworked controller because any issues people will go straight to Nintendo to ask them to fix.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Cobretti2 said:

So all the 111K tweet bought these custom joycons?

Last year the campaign on indiegogo failed to reach it's goal.

Honestly they should have just stuck with selling shells only and not the modified Nintendo controller. Surely Nintendo would not have blocked a shell?

Makes sense that they block a reworked controller because any issues people will go straight to Nintendo to ask them to fix.

No, just people mad that Nintendo is shutting down a product that was raising money for charity, I doubt the vast majority of them bought them or had any plans to buy them.

From what I'm reading, these were just a reshell of official Nintendo joycons, not modified in any way except for the shell.

Yer the campaign was originally trying to sell the shells and you had to install them. Then they added the preinstalled joycons (guessing cause oyu have to open the joycons up and pull out the circuit boards and buttons and move them into the new shell..

I think if they just stuck to selling the shells, Nintendo wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. 

Nintendo has always been against the community in this fashion, so it's not really new or surprising sadly.

Doesn't matter if it's Youtube, Fan games (AM2R), Charities, Competitions, Art, Mods... They will happily shut the lot down where other companies generally embrace these communities.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Why Nintendo??? Etika created one of your biggest communities and you dont show a bit of grateful??? C'mon man.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Unfortunately Japanese companies in general don't take mental health very seriously.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Big companies being trash and heartless is not surprising

Totally unnecessary move for Nintendo, hope they get backslash and step back

Shikamo said:

Why Nintendo??? Etika created one of your biggest communities and you dont show a bit of grateful??? C'mon man.

It's totally necessary because it's the law. Nintendo can't let people use their trademarks without license, otherwise it grants precedent for everyone else to do so without Nintendo having legal grounds to stop them. Failure to defend unauthorized use of trademarks nullifies the trademark.

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/trademark-need-defended-9813.html

EDITED for horrific grammar.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 December 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.