By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo apparently shut down sale of custom Etika themed Joycons that were raising money for charity

Sure "Charity"... Not a way to try to side-step licensing the chips and technology like everyone else has to.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Big companies being trash and heartless is not surprising

Totally unnecessary move for Nintendo, hope they get backslash and step back

Shikamo said:

Why Nintendo??? Etika created one of your biggest communities and you dont show a bit of grateful??? C'mon man.

It's totally necessary because it's the law. Nintendo can't let people use your trademarks without license to do so, otherwise it grants precedent for everyone else to do so without Nintendo being able to do so with no legal grounds to stop them. Failure to defend unauthorized use of trademarks nullifies the trademark.

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/trademark-need-defended-9813.html

Very much this.

I'm with Nintendo here.
Selling just the shell is okay but selling modified Nintendo products is not (especially when someone is doing this commercially and the official product is available in stores).

Roma said:

it is harsh but if it is not licensed and if they allow it then everybody will do it.

I wonder how hard would have it been to license them. This kind of charity work usually brings a lot of good publicity for all parties involved.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Typical Nintendo robotic corporate reaction.

Around the Network

...You'd think it was obvious at this point to not modify or play with Nintendos codes. Fan games or alterations like the Melee online or these joycon mods....

...Why are people angry at a thing they know Nintendo does when they do the thing?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

As harsh as it may sound, doing charity doesn't mean you get to circumvent copyright, licence laws, TOS's etc.

People being customarily hyperbolic with this situation. Nintendo knows if you give someone a millimeter, they will take a kilometer. Allowing them to continue infringing would set a dangerous precedent. If people are so upset regarding the philanthropic aspect, donate directly!

They didn't actually shut him down.

Charity... show me how the money is spent