By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo apparently shut down sale of custom Etika themed Joycons that were raising money for charity

Wyrdness said:

They didn't actually shut him down.

Thank you for posting this.

To explain a little further: a company is legally obligated to defend the trademark if they want to keep it. Nintendo wasn't defending their trademarks to be mean, they were doing it because they'd lose them, otherwise.

Of course, people grabbed the story and twisted into some "Nintendo bullying a charity by shutting it down" narrative. They'll probably continue to do so even after reading your post.

People love to get worked up over things. Even false narratives. Even speculation on hypothetical situations based on a thread of information. It feels a bit like it's getting worse, but I can't say for sure. My memory isn't that great =D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Maybe don't steal from companies and there won't be an issue? Just a guess...

Why is Nintendo turning into EA all of a sudden? -_-

It's all down to that logo on the controller. Everything else, from buying up Joy Cons to modifying them to reselling them (with the word "Joy Con" in the item description) is perfectly legal. Modify the logo so it doesn't look like a play on the official Switch logo and it should be all copacetic.

I will say, though, that Nintendo is a lot more militant about these sort of things than other big gaming companies. They go way beyond what is necessary to protect their IPs. Maybe this particular instance was necessary because it involved a trademarked logo rather than a copyright, but some of the things they've shut down have been permitted by other big companies. For example, I know that Microsoft and Sega allow things like fan games, and they are not at risk of losing their IPs. Nintendo garners a lot of good will by making great systems with great games, but they squander that good will by shutting down nearly everything notable they didn't explicitly authorize.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Shadow1980 said:

It's all down to that logo on the controller. Everything else, from buying up Joy Cons to modifying them to reselling them (with the word "Joy Con" in the item description) is perfectly legal. Modify the logo so it doesn't look like a play on the official Switch logo and it should be all copacetic.

I will say, though, that Nintendo is a lot more militant about these sort of things than other big gaming companies. They go way beyond what is necessary to protect their IPs. Maybe this particular instance was necessary because it involved a trademarked logo rather than a copyright, but some of the things they've shut down have been permitted by other big companies. For example, I know that Microsoft and Sega allow things like fan games, and they are not at risk of losing their IPs. Nintendo garners a lot of good will by making great systems with great games, but they squander that good will by shutting down nearly everything notable they didn't explicitly authorize.

They're even squandering it with me.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

They didn't actually shut him down.

That is pretty important information for this thread.  Thanks for posting it.  Definitely makes Nintendo seem like less of a bad guy. 

When it comes to enforcing copyright law, Nintendo should really show maximal leniency when dealing with small-scale personal activities, especially if said persons are not making money off of the infringement.  In a lot of cases, this kind of thing is actually bolstering Nintendo's brand and creating fanfare that ultimately makes Nintendo money.  Just think what emulation has done to introduce new generations of gamers to many of the old classics, even though Nintendo would tell you that you are a bad person if you use one.  I am sure that emulators have had the effect of selling millions of Switches the same way that video game rentals got gamers to buy the real thing back in the 90s (rentals were another activity that Nintendo stupidly fought tooth and nail).

Man, what a shithead and a liar.

Moren said:

Man, what a shithead and a liar.

Makes me sick the internet is caping for this manipulator

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/k9zgho/cptnalex_the_person_behind_the_etika_joycons_is/

The saga continues, and some fighting fanbases gleefully jumped in this train in order to find an excuse to paint Nintendo as evil.

Moren said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/k9zgho/cptnalex_the_person_behind_the_etika_joycons_is/

The saga continues, and some fighting fanbases gleefully jumped in this train in order to find an excuse to paint Nintendo as evil.

Thanks for that, added the link to the OP.