By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cyberpunk 2077 Review Thread | 83 OC, 87 Meta

Predict which range Cyberpunk's meta score will fall in?

98-100 4 4.94%

95-97 5 6.17%

92-94 28 34.57%

89-91 21 25.93%

86-88 9 11.11%

83-85 5 6.17%

80-82 3 3.70%

Less than 80 6 7.41%

Undecided 0 0%

Total:81
Shinobi-san said:

Learnt my lesson with buying CD PRojekt Red games on console, when I initially bought The Witcher 3 on PS4.

I played it for about an hour or so and immediately stopped. Went out and bought a new GPU at the time (GTX 970) and re-bought the game on PC.

The experience on console was so far from the pre-release footage and YouTube playthroughs that I found unacceptable.

Never looked back once I started the PC version. Strangely enough I ended up playing on PC using a PS4 controller as the mouse movements were buggy imo.

I knew that I would most likely need to upgrade again when Cyberpunk is released. I will be playing this game once I upgrade my PC. It really is the only way to play CD Projekt Red games.

Yeah, having played Witcher 3 in 2016 on a base model PS4, I couldn't agree more. Loading times after dying were a full minute long. A MINUTE! They eventually fixed that with updates, but CDPR just isn't good at optimizing a game for consoles.

VAMatt said:
BraLoD said:

This was never up for debate.

Rockstar is into Santa Monica and Naughty Dog league, CD Project Red got big with TW3 and already showed us a pretty shitty side right after it.

No doubt they have very talented devs, but that kind of comparision was too much good faith, that already backfired greatly.

Rockstar is in a league of their own.  While Santa Monica and ND are great devs, they're not playing the same sport as Rockstar.  They're doing much different games with much, much lower sales, for one or two systems at a time.  Rockstar is making AAAA blockbusters that release on anything powerful enough to run them.  

Rockstar is definitely up there, but they are not in some AAAA gaming space of their own. Nintendo's Odyssey Team, Santa Monica, Sekiro devs, Dragon Quest dev team, etc are all just as good as rockstar. And I'd even throw CDPR into that list. That is if they could launch their games without having so many bugs. :P

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

I would say on the current state of this game, crashing a lot, bugs all over the place, framerate consistently below 25 and staying a lot even lower than 20, sections where the game stops for 1min, vaseline looks, etc any other game you would have zero problem giving it below 6.

Well you yourself if I'm not wrong have said for you the best PS4 exclusive is GoW and you rated it a 7/10, and for TLOU2 I don't remember you scoring it above 7/10, nor SM. And these games are smoothier, prettier and without bugs and crashes gallore of this game.

So if CDPR wanted the game not to be reviewed based on all these shortcomings they shouldn't have released the game with all of them. You liking the game doesn't make the scores needing to be bigger even with so much flaws. I'm much more concerned with so many critics giving 10/10 even recognizing the game is full of flaws but that they expect those to be corrected at some point, that isn't a fair review at all, that is pandering at best.

The game released on PS4 and X1 shall be evaluated on those systems not on Series X or PS5. Whenever they release those consoles version sure review on those and probably by that time they will have solved most bugs, crashes, performance issues, etc one would hope then the score could be higher.

What you want isn't a fair review, you want everyone giving it a free pass. Just as much as a 6/10 score for the PC version is truly out of the average (and from what I saw and read it is a 85-95 game depending on what you look, and sure you could even defend a 75-80 if the reviewer gave true reasons for it, I doubt it can be defended though), over 6/10 on consoles is the out of average. Because truly the game is broke.

Please defend this shouldn't take major points from the console version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kcve8s/promised_but_missing_feature_list_will_update/

https://www.wired.com/story/cyberpunk-2077-bugs-reviews-nda/

https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-refunds-ps4-cd-projekt-red

This is just atrocious.

1. You are talking base console performance, I'm mainly talking about the low scoring reviews on PC, but also from any critics who are playing on PS5 or Xbox Series BC. I can honestly say that I haven't had a single crash on XSX BC so far, worst thing I encountered was a 4 second long freeze-up, which only happened once. The rest of my playtime has been quite smooth, with the bugs being relatively minor stuff (enemy got stuck in a crate once, a few weird physics glitches, AI detecting me through walls a couple of times). Framerate on my XSX quality mode feels like a locked 30 fps to me and looks good too. Surely most of these critics are playing on XSX or PS5 via BC, they will have been sent review units by MS and Sony. It seems strange for a critic to rate a game say 3/10 or 4/10 for issues they aren't experiencing on their own personal playthrough, better to review the game based on your own experience and put a disclaimer on the review letting people know about the issues on base last gen consoles. 

2. I have never played nor reviewed TLOU 2, and I never gave God of War 2018 a 7/10 review (in fact it was my overall game of the year for 2018).

1. There is no PS5/Series version so that shouldn't be used at all to evaluate the PS4 and X1 version, that doesn't make any sense at all. And when you say specially on PC, you are in fact also talking about the console versions. There is only a single review of 81 in metacritic that gives lower than a 6 to Cyberpunk, while there are a lot more that gave it 10 even with all the flaws, some even recognizing they exist and are big.

The game working well for you in Series X doesn't remove the fact that it works very bad on base consoles (that are like 80-90% of the consoles) nor the fact that even on the mid gen they don't work fine at all. So bringing 9th gen running it better in BC to excuse the game isn't acceptable at all (because if we go the gen8 vs gen9 comparison then it is about 160M against 5M so less than 5% of gamers would be getting the experience on gen 9 system).

Have you looked at the system the reviewers have used? Don't mind PC (where yes they should also cover the minimum required on their review, which would certainly tank the scores), but on the consoles review I don't see they saying they played on PS5 or Series X, because again that would be moronic to evaluate the PS4 or X1 version on a different console. And some of then, like IGN, have posted the video of their playthrough and even recognizes that he had a very good time on PC but terrible on base consoles.

You are basically asking reviewers to be dishonest to favor a game you like.

2. Ok. My mistake, mistook you for someone else.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 17 December 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

haxxiy said:
method114 said:

The game is playing far better than that. Barely held together maybe for the base console versions but it should have never been released on those consoles. On my pc the most annoying bug is the subtitles are disabled and yet at some point when someone talks the subtitle will come up on screen and get stuck from then on out. I hate subtitles so this is actually bothering me.

On PC they should be able to get it working in just another patch or two. Xbox series X seems to be running it great so that just leaves PS5 really.

Nope?

Things are floating, NPCs are naked or disappear out of nowhere, fluid and volumetric physics don't load sometimes, quest markers don't update properly etc.

I could screenshot all of it if I could get over my disgust to play again this pre-alpha build.

Maybe that's fine from where you come from but for me that ain't it chief.

Weird I haven't had these issues. 30 hours in now and the game has been nothing short of fantastic. Actually I did have the floating thing once during the first prologue mission and once I walked through the items they went away and I haven't seen it since then. They have released a patch and NVidia driver since then though so who knows.

LudicrousSpeed said:

I feel like a lot of devs could do what Rockstar does if given the budget and workforce. 

Its not the budget or workforce - lots of developers have that (ok not all at Rockstar Levels).  Rockstar strive for perfection in the their games and are given the space and time to do it.  Thats the difference in my opinion - space and time.

CDPR this time got greedy and pushed out an unfinished, unpolished game whilst doing their utmost to hide the flaws.  If they had given themselves more time which they could have easily done the game would have been much better received.  

Games should be finished at launch. It's pretty annoying when they aren't. Cyberpunk is a particularly bad offender and probably needs another 6 months of dev time even on the PC version. But I think that pales in comparison to throwing microtransactions into $60 games. Just my 2 cents.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
method114 said:

Weird I haven't had these issues. 30 hours in now and the game has been nothing short of fantastic. Actually I did have the floating thing once during the first prologue mission and once I walked through the items they went away and I haven't seen it since then. They have released a patch and NVidia driver since then though so who knows.

Similar story for me playing on my Series X. Can't say I've encountered any naked NPC's, disappearing NPC's, floating objects or NPC's. I hit 25 hours playtime last night and these are the only issues I've encountered so far:

• A brief 3 second freeze during a cutscene driving segment
  • Some wonky physics when looting an item that is laying on top of a 2nd item that is physically reactive (physics glitches like these are common in games)
  • An enemy glitched into a crate once
  • Been detected through solid walls maybe 3 times while stealthing
  • A random death from nowhere that seemed like maybe it was a delayed reaction from fall damage (I fell a considerable height less than 10 seconds before the death)
  • Hats being invisible in mirrors, and also making your hairstyle invisible, leaving you looking at a bald head whenever you look in a mirror with a hat on

None of the above is particularly out of the norm for a AAA game on release in my personal experience. My issues with the game so far are mainly nitpicks, and they are largely unrelated to technical performance or bugs, but are actually design related:

• I still think 3rd person should have been an option for gameplay
  • The clothing system needs some quality of life improvements, especially a toggle to make your head item visible or invisible, so that you can get head gear stat bonuses without having the hairstyle you chose covered up all game (just about every RPG I've played the last few years had a headgear toggle except for Cyberpunk). Cosmetic clothing slots would also be nice, so that you could have good stats without having to look at some ugly hodgepodge of mismatched gear pieces that have the best stats. Some actual clothing sets with set bonuses would be nice to see as well, haven't seen anything with set bonuses yet.
  • Smartguns have very bad tracking unless used from pretty long ranges, would be nice if they homed in better from close and close-mid range
  • Crafting needs some rebalancing, you currently need way too many mats to craft higher rarity gear, you can buy high rarity gear from vendors for much less than you'd spend buying high rarity crafting mats from vendors. Considering the perk point and skill point cost you have to put into the crafting system to even craft that high rarity gear, I don't see the point in making those items require so many mats on top of it, you're currently better off spending your perk and skill points elsewhere and just buying high rarity gear from vendors.  

There seems to be a theme with people that experience less issues (so far). The consensus on Steam is that the further you get in the story the worse it gets. The prologue and early areas are decently bug free, and the more time you spend there on crafting and side quests, well you haven't got to the really unfinished parts yet. Or maybe you're already further in and it's bizarrely random.

HDD fragmentation (or nearly full HDD) can play a roll, the game has very poor streaming, and HDDs usually get filled up from the faster outer layer to the slower inner layer. (Constant angular velocity, slower data rate and less data in the inner circles, bigger seek times). With freeing up space it's potluck where the game goes on the HDD, unless you factory reset your console first, delete everything.

That can't explain all the bugs yet time constrained from streaming data can cause plenty issues. Your play style also has an effect. The slower you walk, drive, the more time the game has to keep up. Crawling around in stealth mode should work better than running in guns blazing. Walking instead of driving obviously also 'improves' performance. I found similar issues in FS2020, places where if I fly too last low over the terrain, the sim starts falling behind in its data streaming and data management, gets slower and slower and eventually crashes. Very reproducible, one plane no slow down at all, a faster plane, slow down and crash, or the same plane with 2x sim rate.

So maybe, if you take it slow, stop a lot to stare at the details, the game gets enough time to keep up and the glitches stick to a minimum.

Another troll review

https://www.videogamer.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review

Available on: PlayStation 5 [reviewed on], PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S / X, PC, Google Stadia

Since its release, last week, CD Projekt has issued an apology for only showing gameplay videos that were captured on next-gen hardware or high-end PCs. Those who bought it on last-gen consoles have found it in especially rough shape, with a faltering frame rate and a litany of bugs. I played it on a PlayStation 5, where it unreeled at a robust 60 frames-per-second, and I noticed very few visual glitches. I did experience three crashes, none of which—thanks to the autosave function—cost me any progress.

Puts up screenshots of the ps5 version, which doesn't even exist yet. Where is his apology?
BC killed the review system (well not really, can't kill what's already dead)

Their qualification for an 8

Proper quality: wonderful narrative, a breathtaking score, gameplay ideas that make it stand above other titles in its genre. Only a few issues hinder it from reaching that upper echelon, but we’re not talking anything serious like an addiction that rips a family apart. This is top bins, lad.

First one sure, second maybe (haven't heard anyone about the score, nothing about the music is this review either), rest erm no.

SvennoJ said:

Another troll review

https://www.videogamer.com/reviews/cyberpunk-2077-review

Available on: PlayStation 5 [reviewed on], PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S / X, PC, Google Stadia

Since its release, last week, CD Projekt has issued an apology for only showing gameplay videos that were captured on next-gen hardware or high-end PCs. Those who bought it on last-gen consoles have found it in especially rough shape, with a faltering frame rate and a litany of bugs. I played it on a PlayStation 5, where it unreeled at a robust 60 frames-per-second, and I noticed very few visual glitches. I did experience three crashes, none of which—thanks to the autosave function—cost me any progress.

Puts up screenshots of the ps5 version, which doesn't even exist yet. Where is his apology?
BC killed the review system (well not really, can't kill what's already dead)

Their qualification for an 8

Proper quality: wonderful narrative, a breathtaking score, gameplay ideas that make it stand above other titles in its genre. Only a few issues hinder it from reaching that upper echelon, but we’re not talking anything serious like an addiction that rips a family apart. This is top bins, lad.

First one sure, second maybe (haven't heard anyone about the score, nothing about the music is this review either), rest erm no.

Completely moronic review, Hey I'll review base gen 8th game on gen 9 HW. At least he said it. And if you click on the explanation of what their score means you'll get that it basically contradicts the score gave by the reviewer.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 17 December 2020

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

BraLoD said:
VAMatt said:

Yes, ND and SM make great games.  But, they just aren't of the same scale as those made by Rockstar. 

GOTY awards are well deserved by all of them.  But, making a massive game like GTA or RDR is a totally different, much larger task than making TLOU.  To bring it back to sports, TLOU is like a great tennis match.  It is thoroughly enjoyed by tennis fans, and will be talked about for decades in those circles.  GTA is like an epic World Cup tournament where many of the matches go down as classics and a quarter of the population of planet earth is watching.  They're great sporting events in both cases.  But, one is simply a much bigger deal than the other.    

I don't think that kind of analogy holds any ground here honestly.

GoW(4) was also an open world game with extremely impressive, well, everything, on it, and TLoU2 is to me the most impressive game out there, what ND accomplishes with animations, sound design, graphics, lod, story telling, just nobody else is able to top to claim a whole above level about them, quite the contrary, actually.

I don't see how SM and ND are not in the same level as Rockstar by any kind of quality metric.

The only metric SSM and ND doesn't compare to R* is the size of their map and duration of the game, but honestly that is pointless to me and if was the purpose of the studios or Sony they could pull a giant open world, if Ubisoft and even a lot of small teams (like team Yakuza, which can even make 80 creative sidequests and still release a game a year, without such major bugs and breaking game as Cyberpunk) can I see no reason why ND and SSM couldn't if that was their objective.

Insomniac was able of not only make SM near the end of PS4 life it also were able to make a beefy spin-off, make it crossgen, add a lot of stuff that can't be done on gen 8, remaster the original all for launch and they are Open World and will release RC next year.

No idea why you would compare a Rockstar open world game with TloU 2 or GoW. No problem to prefer TloU or GoW because of what they do better or just different but there is just no way to argue that a Rockstar open world game isn't a much bigger project in an own league which should also be much harder to handle.

Doesn't mean ND or SM couldn't release a similar game with the same quality, though.